Quote from: mikehunt on October 06, 2015, 12:37:15 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 05, 2015, 06:28:40 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 05, 2015, 01:57:03 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 02, 2015, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 02, 2015, 10:33:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 02, 2015, 07:47:19 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 02, 2015, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2015, 08:12:26 PM

Now you're just making up new definitions. It doesn't matter who the cost is recovered from.

I'm just matching your habit of being pedantic. Solicitors fees have been paid, are the solicitors going to refund? If not then this cost is sunk.
You're not being pedantic, you're just making things up. If the legal fees are recovered it doesn't matter from who.

Either way, the definition of a sunk cost is a distraction. You were claiming that DCC was chasing this woman for money because they had reduced revenues, when in fact she was being chased for a conviction - a process that costs the council money.

Your defence of Irish Water and now the council for harassing a 90 year old lady. What next? NRA on the gun control thread no doubt.
I'm not actually defending them. But I wouldn't expect you to grasp that, given how everything else is going over your head.

You always defend public service waste and in fact encourage it from time to time. I don't pay too much heed to your ramblings so maybe missed out on what your point was, if you actually had one.
You see that's the problem. You don't even read and/or understand what someone is saying before you jump in. That's why you, as you put it yourself, 'miss the point'.

I never defend public sector waste. I definitely never encourage it. If you can point to specific examples to contradict me, please do. On this thread, for example, you had it in your head that I was posting to defend DCC. I wasn't.

Your "ah shur it'll do" attitude" is typical of why this country is a joke. You never once commented on GSOC, Dennis O Brien, Irish Water debacle once it became obvious what was going on etc but come on to defend the Blueshirts at every opportunity except when it's impossible. You stay quiet on the major issues like democracy, transparency and accountability.
Please point out all those times I've "defended the Blueshirts" - specific examples.

And I can't comment on every thread, I just don't have the time, but am often drawn to populist tabloid nonsense that 'misses the point'.

You have championed Irish Water on numerous occasions. That is encouraging public sector waste and defending Fine Gael.
So, no, you have no specific examples then.

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 06, 2015, 06:57:17 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 06, 2015, 12:37:15 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 05, 2015, 06:28:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 02, 2015, 11:15:46 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 02, 2015, 10:33:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 02, 2015, 07:47:19 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on October 02, 2015, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2015, 08:12:26 PM

Now you're just making up new definitions. It doesn't matter who the cost is recovered from.

I'm just matching your habit of being pedantic. Solicitors fees have been paid, are the solicitors going to refund? If not then this cost is sunk.
You're not being pedantic, you're just making things up. If the legal fees are recovered it doesn't matter from who.

Either way, the definition of a sunk cost is a distraction. You were claiming that DCC was chasing this woman for money because they had reduced revenues, when in fact she was being chased for a conviction - a process that costs the council money.

Your defence of Irish Water and now the council for harassing a 90 year old lady. What next? NRA on the gun control thread no doubt.
I'm not actually defending them. But I wouldn't expect you to grasp that, given how everything else is going over your head.

You always defend public service waste and in fact encourage it from time to time. I don't pay too much heed to your ramblings so maybe missed out on what your point was, if you actually had one.
You see that's the problem. You don't even read and/or understand what someone is saying before you jump in. That's why you, as you put it yourself, 'miss the point'.

I never defend public sector waste. I definitely never encourage it. If you can point to specific examples to contradict me, please do. On this thread, for example, you had it in your head that I was posting to defend DCC. I wasn't.

Your "ah shur it'll do" attitude" is typical of why this country is a joke. You never once commented on GSOC, Dennis O Brien, Irish Water debacle once it became obvious what was going on etc but come on to defend the Blueshirts at every opportunity except when it's impossible. You stay quiet on the major issues like democracy, transparency and accountability.
Please point out all those times I've "defended the Blueshirts" - specific examples.

And I can't comment on every thread, I just don't have the time, but am often drawn to populist tabloid nonsense that 'misses the point'.

You have championed Irish Water on numerous occasions. That is encouraging public sector waste and defending Fine Gael.
So, no, you have no specific examples then.

Not being a pedant Irish Water is as specific as you're going to get. You reckoned a quangosauras rex like Irish Water was a good plan to address this countries deficit. A fan of Paddy Economics. Ah shur it'll be grand.

mikehunt

Dinny won't be happy with the collapse of his IPO, he may able to hoodwink/bribe/threaten Ireland Inc and FG but the markets aren't as soft a touch. Expect taxpayer to take the hit for this one. Dept of Finance furiously recalculating the budget as we speak.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/digicel-ipo-ignore-the-13-16-price-range-whats-a-fair-value-per-share-cm525104

Farrandeelin

Why didn't they abolish the USC today?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maguire01

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 13, 2015, 09:06:19 PM
At what cost? And instead of what other cuts, or funded by what other rises? I don't know the exact figure, but isn't the USC a massive source of revenue?

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 13, 2015, 09:56:43 PM
At what cost? And instead of what other cuts, or funded by what other rises? I don't know the exact figure, but isn't the USC a massive source of revenue?
Tax multi nationals at 12.5%. That would raise a few quid.

NetNitrate

Quote from: mikehunt on October 13, 2015, 10:54:16 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 13, 2015, 09:56:43 PM
Tax multi nationals at 12.5%. That would raise a few quid.

I see Yanks up in arms because we introduced a lower corp tax band rate of 6.25% in budget today.

armaghniac

Quote from: NetNitrate on October 14, 2015, 02:36:32 AM
I see Yanks up in arms because we introduced a lower corp tax band rate of 6.25% in budget today.

Sure the Yanks are always up in arms, its their constitutional right!

The knowledge box is good though, as it complies with the OECD agreement last week and it requires anyone availing of it to actually do some brain work in Ireland and hire a significant number of boffins in Ireland to do it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on October 14, 2015, 02:39:52 AMt
Quote from: NetNitrate on October 14, 2015, 02:36:32 AM

Sure the Yanks are always up in arms, its their constitutional right!

The knowledge box is good though, as it complies with the OECD agreement last week and it requires anyone availing of it to actually do some brain work in Ireland and hire a significant number of boffins in Ireland to do it.
Even if it creates employment having tax rates of 6.5 is wrong when public services are the way they are.  12.5 is a low rate and they're not even paying it. Knew Dinny would be looked after. Hadn't heard about this though. 6.5 is a disgrace when we're running a deficit.

Rossfan

Sinn Pain moaning that the Budget is a return to "Boom and Bust" policies :D.
Ya couldn't make it up :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ulick

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2015, 11:34:51 AM

Fine Gael and Labour use the people's own money to bribe them while doing northing to improve the 3rd world health system. Health gets €18m and the top earners a €180m tax cut. If that's not "Boom and Bust" I don't know what is. Anyone who buys this shite is nothing but peasant with no regard for society or their country.

StephenC

Quote from: Ulick on October 14, 2015, 12:36:09 PM

Fine Gael and Labour use the people's own money to bribe them while doing northing to improve the 3rd world health system. Health gets €18m and the top earners a €180m tax cut. If that's not "Boom and Bust" I don't know what is. Anyone who buys this shite is nothing but peasant with no regard for society or their country.

Is more money the answer to our "3rd world health system"? One thing that has been consistent over the last 25 years, through boom and bust, through cuts and more expenditure, has been the poor state of the health service. Can we honestly say that a lack of budget is the main cause of that?

Ulick

Quote from: StephenC on October 14, 2015, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: Ulick on October 14, 2015, 12:36:09 PM

Is more money the answer to our "3rd world health system"? One thing that has been consistent over the last 25 years, through boom and bust, through cuts and more expenditure, has been the poor state of the health service. Can we honestly say that a lack of budget is the main cause of that?

No but the budget typifies the lack of vision, leadership and an absolute disdain for vast majority of the people.

Rossfan

Vast majority of the people will have a little more in their pockets from 1st January.
Sorting out our Health Service seems to be beyond human capability.
However I hope none of ye ever have to use a real third world health service.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2015, 02:39:20 PM
Sorting out our Health Service seems to be beyond human capability.

Is that you, Pontius?