The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2015, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on April 06, 2015, 01:02:06 PM

Indeed. Currently here in the North our politicians, driven by Sinn Fein and the DUP, are cutting 20,000 Public sector jobs
in order to cut Corporation tax from 21% to 12.5%. Who does this tax break help? It sure isn't the ordinary worker.

The idea is to have people work for a corporation attracted by a similar tax rate to the 26 counties, rather than being a burden on the taxpayer. Now, you can say that this will not happen, but if no companies come to the North then no tax will be lost. Perhaps the only missing ingredient is some minimum job creation requirement.
Yes
I'd say the idea is to mimic the southern prosperity, creating new jobs and ancillary jobs by new companies locating to the north.
Getting rid of a lot of the public sector chaff in the north is something we in the south could mimic in return. These people have the prospects of work in these new companies especially in IT and finance ( and administrative supporting) roles.
Pity our lot are too cushy and lazy to bother. But where is the incentive though so you can't ame them. They'd rather sit in their lazy cushy asses. Too many in here are whinging/protesting too much!!

I'm actually coming from the opposite end to mikehunt. I can and will pay all taxes etc. I believe that everything should be paid for but everything should be properly proceduralised and all loose ends tied up - such as burst/leaky pipes fixed secured and proper controls in place before accurately charging people. Need to accurately itemize all identified extra taxes on utilities consumption.

Possibly using some of the long term unemployed to assist in public works. Then if a revolution occurred the dross and excess in public sector could be cut too. But that's never going to happen.  There are plenty of people out there with loads of good business ideas. Let's face it , our teacher laden politicians won't come up with inventive commercial plans and programmed.

Maguire01

Indeed. Currently here in the North our politicians, driven by Sinn Fein and the DUP, are cutting 20,000 Public sector jobs
in order to cut Corporation tax from 21% to 12.5%. Who does this tax break help? It sure isn't the ordinary worker.

The idea is to have people work for a corporation attracted by a similar tax rate to the 26 counties, rather than being a burden on the taxpayer. Now, you can say that this will not happen, but if no companies come to the North then no tax will be lost. Perhaps the only missing ingredient is some minimum job creation requirement.
But isn't that classic right of centre politics?

Also, I don't understand your comment that if no companies come to the north then no tax will be lost. It WILL. Those companies that currently pay 20% will pay 7.5% less. Unless new companies bridge that gap, taxes are lost, and the difference has to be paid by Stormont to London from the block grant. That's gambling money for health, education, housing, roads etc. on a reduced corporation tax rate. It's a massive risk. It might pay off, it might not. I'm not yet convinced.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2015, 06:17:26 PM

Yes
I'd say the idea is to mimic the southern prosperity, creating new jobs and ancillary jobs by new companies locating to the north.
Getting rid of a lot of the public sector chaff in the north is something we in the south could mimic in return. These people have the prospects of work in these new companies especially in IT and finance ( and administrative supporting) roles.
Pity our lot are too cushy and lazy to bother. But where is the incentive though so you can't ame them. They'd rather sit in their lazy cushy asses. Too many in here are whinging/protesting too much!!
In a voluntary redundancy scheme, do you imagine it's those people you say are sitting on their "lazy cushy asses" who take the risk of redundancy?

mikehunt

Yes

I'm actually coming from the opposite end to mikehunt. I can and will pay all taxes etc. I believe that everything should be paid for but everything should be properly proceduralised and all loose ends tied up - such as burst/leaky pipes fixed secured and proper controls in place before accurately charging people. Need to accurately itemize all identified extra taxes on utilities consumption.

Possibly using some of the long term unemployed to assist in public works. Then if a revolution occurred the dross and excess in public sector could be cut too. But that's never going to happen.  There are plenty of people out there with loads of good business ideas. Let's face it , our teacher laden politicians won't come up with inventive commercial plans and programmed.
I'm not against paying for water per se. I'm against it in it's current format. I have no problem paying for something once it's being run efficiently and gives value for money.  Irish water is another quangosauras rex. I'm sick of subsidising those useless twats
They can swing for the water charges in it's current guise. I aint contributing to the bonus for the likes of John Tierney.

muppet

How many people here inadvertantly or otherwise contribute to the race to the bottom?

By that I mean do you give your custom to businesses who have zero hours contracts for example?

And who are these companies?

I believe the extremely well paid unions leadership has let workers down very badly in the last 15 years, but particularly in the last 5. The only plan seems to be to wait for signs of recovery and then demand pay rises. This is the industrial equivalent of goal-hanging. If that is all they are good for they should disband.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2015, 06:55:19 PM

Also, I don't understand your comment that if no companies come to the north then no tax will be lost. It WILL. Those companies that currently pay 20% will pay 7.5% less. Unless new companies bridge that gap, taxes are lost, and the difference has to be paid by Stormont to London from the block grant. That's gambling money for health, education, housing, roads etc. on a reduced corporation tax rate. It's a massive risk. It might pay off, it might not. I'm not yet convinced.

Fair point about the existing companies, although there aren't very many of them. That said though, the NI public sector is vastly larger than other parts of these islands, which is unsustainable and will have to change one way or the other. What other strategies exist to promote the private sector to take up the slack?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on April 06, 2015, 08:34:53 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2015, 06:55:19 PM

Fair point about the existing companies, although there aren't very many of them. That said though, the NI public sector is vastly larger than other parts of these islands, which is unsustainable and will have to change one way or the other. What other strategies exist to promote the private sector to take up the slack?
There are 34,000 existing companies who will benefit from the reduction and the cost of lowering the tax rate is estimated at £300m per year. I've read estimates that the private sector would have to grow by 30% to break even with this cut. It's a massive gamble on the public expenditure budget.

Rossfan

If it doesn't come off our little €160 water charge will be small fry compared to the charges ye'll have up in the North East.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mikehunt on April 06, 2015, 07:17:18 PM

Yes

I'm not against paying for water per se. I'm against it in it's current format. I have no problem paying for something once it's being run efficiently and gives value for money.  Irish water is another quangosauras rex. I'm sick of subsidising those useless t**ts
They can swing for the water charges in it's current guise. I aint contributing to the bonus for the likes of John Tierney.
Yes that's part of my own issue with irish water. The public sector fcukwits put in charge of this project have no commercial business acumen and seemed to save their energies for devising their bonuses and remuneration over the proper structure and procedures of the new company ( quango).

I've also said before that the unions here are also self serving and not fit for purpose for the people they represent
Let's hope both sets of unfit for purpose sets of wasters get the boot ( across the board in public sector) and we make progress in this country - saving money, creating jobs and efficiencies as we go.

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 06, 2015, 03:43:52 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on April 06, 2015, 12:09:25 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 06, 2015, 10:50:31 AM
As you well know, they aren't labeled as thugs for protesting. They're labeled as thugs for carrying on like savages at some of their protests.

I'd hardly call shouting obsceneties and throwing water balloons thuggish behaviour but each to their own I suppose? What would you call those that protest by way of burning, looting, attacking police? Water protests in Ireland have been peaceful. Only bit of violence I remember was when the guards tried to smash a woman up against a bollard.

I've called referees all sorts of names over the years and I think i used to throw water ballons at halloween. Guess I'm a savage in your eyes too?
By grown men and women? Probably. (The comparison to children throwing water balloons is totally disindisingenuous.)

Childish and at worst civil disobedience is what I'd call it. Those who describe what happened with Burton in Tallaght as thuggish behaviour are a precious bunch. She was called a few names and was hit by a water balloon. This is nothing when compared with what happens over in Europe where protests usually lead to rioting. When you compare it against the guards throwing that woman against a bollard. If protestors had flung a female guard against a bollard like that we'd still be talking about it. As for calling Burton a middle aged woman, she's a politican who along with Kenny, Howlin and Noonan have continued to make spineless decisions which have resulted in the transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich. That clown Kenny saying that he told a man who had 2 pints in his hands that it would pay for two weeks water. Tis well for him that he doesn't have to make that choice. As if a good number of people are drinking their welfare money as clowns like Rossfan would lead you to believe.

Feckitt

Why are there so many pronunciations of Fine Gael.  I've always known them as (Finna Gale), and I know that is often pronounced (Finna gwale), but I now increasing hear it pronounced as (Fine gale), fine, as in that's a fine day.  I first heard Pearse Doherty TD use this, and I have now heard Fine Gael TD's using it as well.  What's the craic here?

muppet

Quote from: Feckitt on April 07, 2015, 05:46:59 PM
Why are there so many pronunciations of Fine Gael.  I've always known them as (Finna Gale), and I know that is often pronounced (Finna gwale), but I now increasing hear it pronounced as (Fine gale), fine, as in that's a fine day.  I first heard Pearse Doherty TD use this, and I have now heard Fine Gael TD's using it as well.  What's the craic here?

The phonetic equivalent of 'fine gale' would be 'Sin Feen'. Or 'Fye-anna fail'. Those using it don't cover themselves in glory.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

You'd expect better from a fluent Sinn Féin Gaeilgeoir as Tír Conaill.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on April 07, 2015, 08:03:42 PM
You'd expect better from a fluent Sinn Féin Gaeilgeoir as Tír Conaill.

There's plenty of other ways to pronounce Mr Kenny's party including

Shower of [insert expletive here]
Incompetent [insert expletive here]
Self-serving [insert expletive here]
Traitorous [insert expletive here]

etc.

Shame Ross won't see my post. Boo-hoo!!
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

If only you knew the difference between "describe" and "pronounce". Otherwise, hilarious.