Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: gallsman on March 20, 2015, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 20, 2015, 02:20:30 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 02:15:40 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2015, 01:07:49 PM
50c a day

and where will it end? You lot can't see past the end of your nose.
When families are being charged through the roof by these corporations for water and can't afford it then what happens next?

some of you lot don't remember the bad old days in 80's ireland when these sorts of margins meant the difference in having something to eat or not.
Child hunger in ireland getting back to those levels. But no...we're all far too sophisticated these days to believe it happens.

2016 - a hundred years of shame of what's become of the republic.

I'd simply love to see you back that up with something factual other than mindless rhetoric.

For a fella who seems to know a lot you I'm surprised you've missed this. Have a little read while you drink your frappachino

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-children-arriving-in-school-hungry-survey-finds-1.1906798

Fair enough - hadn't seen it. I'd question the validity of the sample size and your assertion that hunger levels are back on par with the 80s, but will happily acknowledge you had something to back up your assertions. For once  :)

I'm glad you acknowledge this is a real problem. If you then think that these parents already can't afford to feed their kids what else are they going to have to sacrifice in order to pay for water?

If you've ever been that kid who's been hungry you might have a little more compassion for those who are protesting the charges. If they could afford to pay i'm sure they would but all the new taxes over the last few years have just stretched people to breaking point. A fine republic.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

macdanger2

Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 03:55:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 03:18:35 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 03:09:51 PM
It's a semi-state body, not a corporation.

That's the interim step..you think that's where ownership will end up?

That's where your buddy mike wants it to end up!!

For the record, no I don't think it will - the network will remain in state ownership in the same way the gas and electricity networks have.

All i see is underhand strategies including dodgy chairmen, hush-hush subcontracts to favoured businessmen and the usual host of stroke politicians waiting to get their snouts in the trough or help get their buddies in there. The water issue is secondary. Can you trust them to run this right once they get the green light? Prices will rise as incompetence grows and bonuses are required...

For a start, the politicians aren't running Irish Water, that's why it's a semi-state.

If the water issue is secondary, then why the protests?? If there were mass protests about the state of the health system, there would be almost universal support. Instead, these protestors are only interested in protesting against this because they can directly see a bill coming in the door at them and it affects them personally - never mind the fact that the water system has been mismanaged by the councils for years to land us where we currently are.

mikehunt

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 04:09:27 PM

For a start, the politicians aren't running Irish Water, that's why it's a semi-state.

oh i think you'll find the politicians are running Irish Water. Did they not tell Tierney to stay away from interviews, were they not the ones who decided on the fixed charge?

macdanger2

Quote from: mikehunt on March 20, 2015, 04:25:19 PM

oh i think you'll find the politicians are running Irish Water. Did they not tell Tierney to stay away from interviews, were they not the ones who decided on the fixed charge?

Once you get irish water privatised, there'll be none of that anyway

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on March 20, 2015, 03:29:28 PM
You will find that the hundred thousand thugs protesting were not just protesting about water charges. Water Charges was the final straw for these thugs and won't pay brigade. 80% of total health expenditure is spent on salaries yet none of this could be tackled.

Saying the 80% of money is spent on salaries doesn't say anything directly, hospitals without staff would be useless. And of course salaries of the people in the health service were cut, by 30% in some cases. How did that one work out http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/only-25pc-of-medical-consultant-posts-filled-29447254.html. As always your posts have a limited connection with reality.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 03:55:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 03:18:35 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on March 20, 2015, 03:09:51 PM
It's a semi-state body, not a corporation.

That's the interim step..you think that's where ownership will end up?

That's where your buddy mike wants it to end up!!

For the record, no I don't think it will - the network will remain in state ownership in the same way the gas and electricity networks have.

All i see is underhand strategies including dodgy chairmen, hush-hush subcontracts to favoured businessmen and the usual host of stroke politicians waiting to get their snouts in the trough or help get their buddies in there. The water issue is secondary. Can you trust them to run this right once they get the green light? Prices will rise as incompetence grows and bonuses are required...

If the water issue is secondary, then why the protests?? If there were mass protests about the state of the health system, there would be almost universal support. Instead, these protestors are only interested in protesting against this because they can directly see a bill coming in the door at them and it affects them personally - never mind the fact that the water system has been mismanaged by the councils for years to land us where we currently are.

I meant the water issue is secondary to those involved in irish water..it's a new commodity that people like DOB are trying to get a slice of. There's money to be made and positions to be filled. Another semi-state gravy train.

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2015, 05:39:26 PM
You will find that the hundred thousand thugs protesting were not just protesting about water charges. Water Charges was the final straw for these thugs and won't pay brigade. 80% of total health expenditure is spent on salaries yet none of this could be tackled.

Saying the 80% of money is spent on salaries doesn't say anything directly, hospitals without staff would be useless. And of course salaries of the people in the health service were cut, by 30% in some cases. How did that one work out http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/only-25pc-of-medical-consultant-posts-filled-29447254.html. As always your posts have a limited connection with reality.
Precisely. What would you expect money in the health service to be spent on, if not doctors, nurses, surgeons, porters etc.... ? Without people, there's no health service.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 20, 2015, 06:53:22 PM

Precisely. What would you expect money in the health service to be spent on, if not doctors, nurses, surgeons, porters etc.... ? Without people, there's no health service.

Should take a look at clearing out "administration" staff. Lots of incompetent pen-pushers who add no value.

mikehunt

Nurses and doctors deserve every penny they get. My gripe is with the level of admin staff. Too much being spent on admin rather than front line services. Wouldn't mind if they were at least efficient but anecdotal evidence suggests that all they do is interfere.

Maguire you don't want any change in case it interferes with your cosy public sector life. Dont blame you but spare us your sanctimonious bullshit.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on March 20, 2015, 07:00:40 PM

Should take a look at clearing out "administration" staff. Lots of incompetent pen-pushers who add no value.
Maybe, but any money saved would be needed for more doctors and nurses, so you still have that proportion of expenditure on salaries. The point is that the 80% argument means absolutely nothing.

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on March 20, 2015, 07:06:11 PM

Nurses and doctors deserve every penny they get. My gripe is with the level of admin staff. Too much being spent on admin rather than front line services. Wouldn't mind if they were at least efficient but anecdotal evidence suggests that all they do is interfere.

Maguire you don't want any change in case it interferes with your cosy public sector life. Dont blame you but spare us your sanctimonious bullshit.
As I live and work in the north, the way the HSE spends its money doesn't directly affect me.

macdanger2

Quote from: mikehunt on March 20, 2015, 07:06:11 PM

How much is spent on Admin compared to on front line?

Rossfan

That Mike Hunt is getting tiresome with his stereotypes of cushy public sector jobs.
Try picking up body pieces or hosing down blood after a traffic accident.
He also seems to be an expert on the internal workings of the HSE .
He's joined my ignore list as I can't suffer his sh1te any longer.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mikehunt

Quote from: Rossfan on March 20, 2015, 08:41:23 PM
That Mike Hunt is getting tiresome with his stereotypes of cushy public sector jobs.

Not sure that ignore option is working. You've mentioned having me on that list three times now yet you still pass comment on what I post.

Guaranteed job for life with defined benefit pension is something the private sector could only dream of. Most people would be grateful but you talk like you're hard done by.

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on March 20, 2015, 09:35:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 20, 2015, 08:41:23 PM

Not sure that ignore option is working. You've mentioned having me on that list three times now yet you still pass comment on what I post.

I imagine the ignore option doesn't hide your comments when quote by others.