The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: mikehunt on February 09, 2015, 08:30:06 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2015, 05:04:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 04:49:33 PM
It doesn't automatically a cut in pay, it can also mean they focus on increasing revenue to achieve the ratio, like any business or household.

That's all very fine, but when you charge for stuff instead of giving it away, like water, everyone whines then too.

Most people don't have a problem paying for water. Their problem is how the money raised is spent. Only civil servants would defend Irish Water. Are you per chance on that gravy train? Your "suck it up" attitude would suggest you are.

Mike - I can't quite believe the defeatist attitude of some on here either. The mantra appears to be that they accept what the government does without question.  Maintaining the pecking order seems to be paramount over looking after your fellow citizen who needs help.

There must be a few civil servants posting on here (god knows they can't do any actual work if they are on this board 24/7). Or they are IW employees on gardening leave etc ;)

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

AZOffaly

Are you suggesting we should burn the streets? Or bully little old men and women? I don't think there's anything particularly brave or principled about either of those things?

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 03:21:27 PM
Are you suggesting we should burn the streets? Or bully little old men and women? I don't think there's anything particularly brave or principled about either of those things?

Ure getting a bit mixed up there, it's the blueshirts that are bullying old men and women. Siphoning off money to pay bond holders and wealthy vested interests like Dennis O Brien while leaving the old and the poor to suffer and the sick to die in overcrowded and under resourced hospitals.

AZOffaly

Not getting a bit mixed up. I've seen a new facebook thingy created by Paul Murphy giving out about policing of these protests, etc, but I don't see any great credit or bravery in abusing a woman in a car, or an old man who's about 4 foot tall.

I have no issue with marches in the streets, and punishing the politicians at the ballot box, but violence on the streets, or intimidation of people is not something I'd be comfortable with.

And I'm no fan of FG either let me tell you that much.

foxcommander

Who's being bullied? Pay this new tax to service state debts or go to jail.
Not advocating violence, just showing how hysterical the irish media got over one protest in comparison to other countries.

AZOffaly

Quote from: foxcommander on February 12, 2015, 04:00:24 PM

Not advocating violence, just showing how hysterical the irish media got over one protest in comparison to other countries.

That's democracy. You pay taxes and you get services. I'm of the opinion we are already paying for our water via existing taxes, but I accept that you can't have it for free. It's a service and it costs money to run it.

I still maintain it's an absolute disgrace that govt departments can not publish a P&L or income and Expenditure account like a normal company would, so we could see exactly where our money is being spent, and why this shortfall is there. At least then you'd know you're not just throwing good money after bad.

However, I am not going to dander on down to my local school or whatever and shout obscenities at an old man, or start rocking a car with a female govt minister inside it, just to frighten her. That's not decent behaviour in my mind.

By all means march, and by all means vote them out on their arses the next time around. Better still let the lads who are roaring and shouting form their own party and go in and change things. At least that crowd in Greece are trying that.

mikehunt

The media are ramming this propaganda about sinister elements hijacking water protests. Paul Murphy was elected on the back of the water charges. He's doing what the people asked him to do. I haven't seen anyone get hurt. They've been called names and a few water balloons were thrown. If they can't take that then they should get out of politics. If they make the decisions they make they have to expect some comeback. They're lucky we don't protest like they do in other countries. You are falling for the spin that's been pushed by the govt by trying to discredit the protests and push the focus off the issue and on to a few protestors who get a bit rowdy.

foxcommander

Quote from: mikehunt on February 12, 2015, 04:31:55 PM
The media are ramming this propaganda about sinister elements hijacking water protests. Paul Murphy was elected on the back of the water charges. He's doing what the people asked him to do. I haven't seen anyone get hurt. They've been called names and a few water balloons were thrown. If they can't take that then they should get out of politics. If they make the decisions they make they have to expect some comeback. They're lucky we don't protest like they do in other countries. You are falling for the spin that's been pushed by the govt by trying to discredit the protests and push the focus off the issue and on to a few protestors who get a bit rowdy.

Is there such a thing as an impartial media in Ireland anymore? RTE and the printed press all seem to be on the same page bar a couple of rogue journalists.

It's like the "Animal Farm" playbook (Orwell, not the mucky version). 4 legs good...2 legs even better...

foxcommander

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2015, 04:06:41 PM

That's democracy. You pay taxes and you get services. I'm of the opinion we are already paying for our water via existing taxes, but I accept that you can't have it for free. It's a service and it costs money to run it.

But will the money gathered from all these taxes be used to service the items they are being collected for? Or will it be  used to service the banking debts? They have admitted that road tax has been used to fun irish water...so what money have they used for the roads???
This is why I find it incredible that so many seem to be so passive about it. What's the next squeeze they can get out of the population because it's going to happen. repeatedly.

Great little country to do business in.... if you're in the golden circle.

Hardy

Neither my barber nor the local taxi driver ever mentioned they were on gaaboard.

mikehunt

Quote from: foxcommander on February 12, 2015, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on February 12, 2015, 04:31:55 PM

Is there such a thing as an impartial media in Ireland anymore? RTE and the printed press all seem to be on the same page bar a couple of rogue journalists.

It's like the "Animal Farm" playbook (Orwell, not the mucky version). 4 legs good...2 legs even better...

O Brien owns Newstalk, Today FM and Irish Indo. Anyone who speaks out gets sued or sacked. See Sam Smtyh for example. Fine Gael are only too happy to see him dictate Irish media. Govt always own RTE so if you want to know what's really going on, you should avoid mainstream media as they will never be impartial. I listen to Newstalk but never take their opinions seriously. Didn't O'Brien even give a job to a jouno that perjured herself in court for him.

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 12, 2015, 04:53:24 PM

But will the money gathered from all these taxes be used to service the items they are being collected for? Or will it be  used to service the banking debts? They have admitted that road tax has been used to fun irish water...so what money have they used for the roads???
This is why I find it incredible that so many seem to be so passive about it. What's the next squeeze they can get out of the population because it's going to happen. repeatedly.

The irony being that full water charges would be solely used for water, rather than going anywhere near the government coffers. It's one place where the money collected would be ringfenced for its intended purpose.

By the way, it has been public knowledge since 1996 that the motor tax was to fund the local authorities, as a replacement to water charges at that time. As local authorities are no longer responsible for funding water, and in the absence of full water charges, that money moves to Irish Water.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 12, 2015, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 12, 2015, 04:53:24 PM

The irony being that full water charges would be solely used for water, rather than going anywhere near the government coffers. It's one place where the money collected would be ringfenced for its intended purpose.

By the way, it has been public knowledge since 1996 that the motor tax was to fund the local authorities, as a replacement to water charges at that time. As local authorities are no longer responsible for funding water, and in the absence of full water charges, that money moves to Irish Water.

That doesn't stop the faux outrage.

Where did they think the money was coming from?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM