The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on February 09, 2015, 03:22:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:19:02 PM
As for the if I were king question, that is the current position. Public Service is king and it rewards its current elite very well.

That's not an answer to the question.

Then yes I definitely would implement it. But it isn't going to be a problem.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:24:25 PM

So if you were in charge, you would institute a policy that would prolong recessions. As you say, it isn't going to be a problem, and for that we should all be grateful.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on February 09, 2015, 03:26:44 PM

So if you were in charge, you would institute a policy that would prolong recessions. As you say, it isn't going to be a problem, and for that we should all be grateful.

Ah, I know this game.

So you are going to stick with a plan that bankrupts countries.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:47:24 PM

Ah, I know this game.

So you are going to stick with a plan that bankrupts countries.

You clearly don't know the game...

deiseach

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on February 09, 2015, 03:52:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:50:47 PM
Poland's public sector pay is 10% of GDP: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/07/18/poland-reforming-the-public-sector-pay-system

They must be recession perverts.

...as this post has demonstrated.

Don't worry I am looking for the proper Gov Revenue figure. That site is a maze.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:54:32 PM
Poland's public sector pay is 10% of GDP: http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2013/07/18/poland-reforming-the-public-sector-pay-system

Don't worry I am looking for the proper Gov Revenue figure. That site is a maze.

That's not an accident, as anyone who has to deal with Revenue will attest.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 09, 2015, 04:04:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 03:54:32 PM

That's not an accident, as anyone who has to deal with Revenue will attest.

Looking at various sources of all sorts of data, could we consider a similar cap on social welfare spending as well? Ireland appears to have the 3rd highest percentage of GDP spending in this area.

This argument is simply telling the Government that they can only spend what they have, not what they don't, and you can't borrow to pass the debt on to the next generation.

Also for those who know about these things, would a percentage of GDP, GNP or Revenue be better in this regard?
MWWSI 2017

mikehunt

This recession talk is boring. People are comparing the economy against Celtic Tiger figures. This was a false ecnonomy. People went nuts and now we're paying the price.  Hopfully things will never be like that again yet Honohan gets slated for bringing in anti-inflation measures. Our govt being one of the main parties who didn't want these restrictions in place. Expectations need to be more realistic.

The economy is a simple beast. People will spend (if they have it) when they see value. If people aren't spending then prices need to fall, once prices fall demand will increase. Demand then increases until maximum output is reached, prices will then rise. At this point in time we are in a place where prices are too high. To address this problem the US and a lot of Europe want to print money to give to people to spend rather than seeing prices drop further. A strange thing to do. If your product aint selling, then drop the price. Quantitative easing will only end in tears.

muppet

Quote from: mikehunt on February 09, 2015, 04:28:21 PM

This recession talk is boring. People are comparing the economy against Celtic Tiger figures. This was a false ecnonomy. People went nuts and now we're paying the price.  Hopfully things will never be like that again yet Honohan gets slated for bringing in anti-inflation measures. Our govt being one of the main parties who didn't want these restrictions in place. Expectations need to be more realistic.

The economy is a simple beast. People will spend (if they have it) when they see value. If people aren't spending then prices need to fall, once prices fall demand will increase. Demand then increases until maximum output is reached, prices will then rise. At this point in time we are in a place where prices are too high. To address this problem the US and a lot of Europe want to print money to give to people to spend rather than seeing prices drop further. A strange thing to do. If your product aint selling, then drop the price. Quantitative easing will only end in tears.

Massive massive tears. We have a really big bang on the way.

Back to the cap on public salaries and social.

It doesn't automatically a cut in pay, it can also mean they focus on increasing revenue to achieve the ratio, like any business or household.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on February 09, 2015, 04:49:33 PM
It doesn't automatically a cut in pay, it can also mean they focus on increasing revenue to achieve the ratio, like any business or household.

That's all very fine, but when you charge for stuff instead of giving it away, like water, everyone whines then too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2015, 05:04:01 PM

That's all very fine, but when you charge for stuff instead of giving it away, like water, everyone whines then too.

True but some whine louder than others.

And I was actually thinking of Corporation Tax and Natural Gas, rather than water.
MWWSI 2017

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2015, 05:04:01 PM

Most people don't have a problem paying for water. Their problem is how the money raised is spent. Only civil servants would defend Irish Water. Are you per chance on that gravy train? Your "suck it up" attitude would suggest you are.

muppet

Further to the above: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/revenue-commissioners-advised-not-to-pursue-hsbc-tax-case-1.2095805

I love this little line: "as were details concerning wealthy Irish people known to be tax resident outside Ireland."

Anyway, looking at this the Swiss Central Bank deposit rates were 1% in Jan 2006: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/switzerland/interest-rate. By Jan 2007 they had risen to 2% and were nearly 3% by Jul 2007.

There was €3.1bn sitting in these accounts.

If this €3.1bn only yielded 2%, for just one year (who knows how many years this went on for?), that would be interest of €62m.

The revenue has received, according to the article, tax and penalties of €4.55m. That is a tax rate (+penalties) of 7.3%.

Who are we kidding?
MWWSI 2017