The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 25, 2013, 11:00:23 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on August 25, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
More calls at todays mick collins commemoration from bill o herilly former fg strategist for fg/ff
Coalition.. Its on..

He said earlier in the week his idea has no backing from either FG or FF and it was more or less a solo run. He said today that he is no longer a FG strategist and he has not communicated his idea with the Taoiseach. FF & FG both rubbished the idea.

Non-story.

Lawnseed - Must try harder.

Very liitle of that will have any bearing on whether this ever happens and you would expect both factions to "rubbish" the idea. The idea of FG & FF linking up reminds me of we're unlikely to see a single national soccer team - primarily because it runs against the material interests of those in senior positions of each governing body. Currently two sets of people get to enjoy the trappings of power with lots of travel, expense accounts and media exposure. However there may come a time where the national interest dictates they've no other choice. For example, lets say Labour gets wipped out (not inconceivable) at the next election and SF refuse to enter coalition with either FF or FG? If it falls that FF/FG is the only other feasible option you can be sure that the powers that be in both Parties will use the "national interest" argument to ensure at least some of them get their bums on ministerial seats. I can see why you are reluctant to admit it though - FG would have most to loose in this situation as they have the more fickle support base who are likely to conclude they may as well vote for FF the election after if voting FG means getting a FF government.

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on August 26, 2013, 08:17:57 AM
More calls at todays mick collins commemoration from bill o herilly former fg strategist for fg/ff
Coalition.. Its on..

He said earlier in the week his idea has no backing from either FG or FF and it was more or less a solo run. He said today that he is no longer a FG strategist and he has not communicated his idea with the Taoiseach. FF & FG both rubbished the idea.

Non-story.

Very liitle of that will have any bearing on whether this ever happens and you would expect both factions to "rubbish" the idea. The idea of FG & FF linking up reminds me of we're unlikely to see a single national soccer team - primarily because it runs against the material interests of those in senior positions of each governing body. Currently two sets of people get to enjoy the trappings of power with lots of travel, expense accounts and media exposure. However there may come a time where the national interest dictates they've no other choice. For example, lets say Labour gets wipped out (not inconceivable) at the next election and SF refuse to enter coalition with either FF or FG? If it falls that FF/FG is the only other feasible option you can be sure that the powers that be in both Parties will use the "national interest" argument to ensure at least some of them get their bums on ministerial seats. I can see why you are reluctant to admit it though - FG would have most to loose in this situation as they have the more fickle support base who are likely to conclude they may as well vote for FF the election after if voting FG means getting a FF government.
Whatever about SF/FF, I don't think a SF/FG coalition would be Sinn Féin's to refuse. Also, I couldn't see SF refusing to go into power with FF if they got the slightest opportunity.

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 26, 2013, 09:13:06 AM
Quote from: Ulick on August 26, 2013, 08:17:57 AM
Coalition.. Its on..

Non-story.

Whatever about SF/FF, I don't think a SF/FG coalition would be Sinn Féin's to refuse. Also, I couldn't see SF refusing to go into power with FF if they got the slightest opportunity.

You might be surprised. I've canvassed for SF in the south on a few occasions and my personal experience is that there's not nearly half as much animosity towards SF from grassroots FG activists as there is from FF people. There are people in SF who would jump at the chance to go into power with anyone - particularly the northerns - however they don't hold sway in the Ard Chomhairle any more. 

lawnseed

What if sinn fein were to hook up with labour and the lefties.. This would force fg to work with ff. Sinnfein would then become the opposition.. Ahhaaaa its beginning to dawn on mayogodhelpus this is exactly what sinn fein want. All the dung in the one spot. where the infection can be treated. Its all falling into place 8)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Rossfan

Quote from: lawnseed on August 26, 2013, 06:26:58 PM
What if sinn fein were to hook up with labour and the lefties.. )
SF want to replace "labour and the lefties" .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

It sure must be tough being a Shinner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

What if sinn fein were to hook up with labour and the lefties.. This would force fg to work with ff. Sinnfein would then become the opposition.. Ahhaaaa its beginning to dawn on mayogodhelpus this is exactly what sinn fein want. All the dung in the one spot. where the infection can be treated. Its all falling into place 8)

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 27, 2013, 08:36:20 PM

you do realise they sinn fein don't actually want to hook up. but the mere threat will send enda into the arms of michael

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 27, 2013, 09:47:27 PM

you do realise they sinn fein don't actually want to hook up. but the mere threat will send enda into the arms of michael

You honestly think you lot are a threat politically in the Republic? You are living in cloudcuckooland. FG will choose opposition or a minority led government over any coalition with SF or FF.

lawnseed

Gerry has already ruled out a coalition with fg under any circumstances. ff are still 'persona non gratia' that only leaves 'labour lite'  who need a dungout ie bye bye Gilmore burton etc and the lefties who seem a little too left for me. the whole thing is a bit shitty either way no real change in sight so the irish electorate will continue to get it in the neck   

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 31, 2013, 07:43:08 PM
Gerry has already ruled out a coalition with fg under any circumstances. ff are still 'persona non gratia' that only leaves 'labour lite'  who need a dungout ie bye bye Gilmore burton etc and the lefties who seem a little too left for me. the whole thing is a bit shitty either way no real change in sight so the irish electorate will continue to get it in the neck

As opposed to in the knee like the Shinners deliver their own brand of justice, BOOM BOOM, ha.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 31, 2013, 07:57:00 PM

As opposed to in the knee like the Shinners deliver their own brand of justice, BOOM BOOM, ha.
like I side i'm going to save you during the dungout.. sort of like lawnseed-schindler. but you need to lay off the knee jokes nally isn't as forgiving

Syferus

Does Gerry even age? Are vampires even eligible to be Taoiseach?

Pretty sure Dev put a stipulation against them holding high office in the constitution when he was writing it.

Rossfan

Gerry has already ruled out a coalition with fg under any circumstances. ff are still 'persona non gratia' that only leaves 'labour lite' 
So Gerry and his 20 to 25 TDs will join Labour with their 20 and form a Government in 2015/16?
Jasus Hayseed you must have skipped Sums when you went to that hedge school.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 27, 2013, 11:16:29 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on August 27, 2013, 09:47:27 PM

You honestly think you lot are a threat politically in the Republic? You are living in cloudcuckooland. FG will choose opposition or a minority led government over any coalition with SF or FF.
Believe it or not, I feel FF would back a minority FG administration before allowing SF into government.
That's not as incredible as it may seem at first sight.
FG has supported minority FF govts. twice in the past and there was the so-called Tallaght Strategy during the time of Alan Dukes' leadership when FG held a conference to decide on strategy and listed a number o key areas where they wouldn't oppose FF policy. They said this was being done in the national interest and I've no reason to doubt their sincerity.
With FG likely to ne the bigger party for the conceivable future, I'd expect FF to return the compliment; if only to prevent the Shinners making further inroads into their core vote.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi