The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 11, 2013, 05:14:25 PM
Lawnseed SF will not be in government in Ireland (Republic of) in the next 50 years.

I wouldn't rule out a FF/SF coalition after the next election.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Syferus

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 11, 2013, 09:31:10 PM
Lawnseed SF will not be in government in Ireland (Republic of) in the next 50 years.

Everyone else will, though.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2013, 09:46:16 PM

Suppose you're right, Enda is the most popular leader in the world, ever. The economy is in good health, likewise the health service and the schools, unemployment is way below the E.U. average and the housing market is making a slow but steady recovery.

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Syferus

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 11, 2013, 10:02:59 PM

Suppose you're right, Enda is the most popular leader in the world, ever. The economy is in good health, likewise the health service and the schools, unemployment is way below the E.U. average and the housing market is making a slow but steady recovery.

As opposed to SF's discount store populism? Beyond any concerns about going into coalition with a party that has 'links' (as in their leaders ran the bloody show) to paramilitary groups there's plenty of ideological reasons FF, Labour and FG won't touch SF.

lawnseed

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2013, 10:42:16 PM

As opposed to SF's discount store populism? Beyond any concerns about going into coalition with a party that has 'links' (as in their leaders ran the bloody show) to paramilitary groups there's plenty of ideological reasons FF, Labour and FG won't touch SF.
I supposed the fact that many ff and fg tds attended the first dail sessions carrying guns.. but they were good guns weren't they ::)

putting ff and fg together is logical they are and always have been the same party. they both have the same policies... all pigs on the one sow the sooner the better
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2013, 11:10:43 PM

I supposed the fact that many ff and fg tds attended the first dail sessions carrying guns.. but they were good guns weren't they ::)

putting ff and fg together is logical they are and always have been the same party. they both have the same policies... all pigs on the one sow the sooner the better

Ah, they did indeed, although they weren't FF or FG at the time and they carried out their share of Northern Bank heists and Jerry McCabe murders as well. But that was about 80/90 years ago and people nowadays have no appetite for the shinners coming along and re-inventing that particular wheel all over again.
I don't think you really understand the way our electoral system works. We don't have your first past the post model so it's not as easy to fiddle the system as it is for you.
Once upon a time FF and FG get were fairly good at intimidating voters and voting twice with cards picked up from old folks' homes and the likes but things are a lot stricter now.
This would put the shinners at a disadvantage straightaway.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lawnseed

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2013, 12:53:42 AM

Ah, they did indeed, although they weren't FF or FG at the time and they carried out their share of Northern Bank heists and Jerry McCabe murders as well. But that was about 80/90 years ago and people nowadays have no appetite for the shinners coming along and re-inventing that particular wheel all over again.
I don't think you really understand the way our electoral system works. We don't have your first past the post model so it's not as easy to fiddle the system as it is for you.
Once upon a time FF and FG get were fairly good at intimidating voters and voting twice with cards picked up from old folks' homes and the likes but things are a lot stricter now.
so once a certain period of time passes murder becomes ok? how long? 

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lawnseed on August 12, 2013, 01:02:36 AM

Forever I guess.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 12, 2013, 01:09:59 AM

Forever I guess.

SF never wanted in the Irish state, now jog on back to administering British Rule in the north east of our island.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Sinn Fein literally didn't want the Irish state itself in the first place. Bad lovin' comin' back and bitin' a playa in the ass, if you will.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 12, 2013, 04:25:17 AM

Forever I guess.

SF never wanted in the Irish state, now jog on back to administering British Rule in the north east of our island.
as opposed to sliveen rule? that must be why 60% of nordies are happy with the status quo. that's why 'fiannagael' is good idea get the disease in the one body and identify it, then get rid of it

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: lawnseed on August 12, 2013, 07:08:40 AM

Forever I guess.

as opposed to sliveen rule? that must be why 60% of nordies are happy with the status quo. that's why 'fiannagael' is good idea get the disease in the one body and identify it, then get rid of it

How you see Sinn Fein

How the Irish electorate see Sinn Fein
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trueblue1234

Forever I guess.

Awwww Lawnseed, don't be bringing that issue up. Don't ya know that's the one that ties our southern friends in knots. I wouldn't be expecting any detailed answers!!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Lar Naparka

Lawnseed, I'll give you credit for the way you stick to your beliefs but you're flying in the face of reality if you think SF are going to become a major player on the political scene down here.
Magoo's pictures (just above) sum things up nicely.
Right now, Gerry and his friends have about 20% support in opinion polls and  so at the next general election, they should be poised to pick up at least 20% of Dail seats. That's seems grand until you realise that this support is not spread evenly across the country.
Areas like Finglas with serious social issues, could give SF 50% or more in an opinion poll so that also seems grand, doesn't it?
But it doesn't work that way. The percentage turn out at the polls in those regions  is way below the national average so SF would get a lot less than 50% o the first preference votes in a general election anytime soon.
A FF or FG candidate with less no.1 votes than a shinner could still beat him/her when lower preference votes are counted. SF needs a lot of no.1s to stay in the race as they generally get very low vote transfers from the other parties. 

So a FG voter is more likely to give a no. 3 or 4 to FF or Labour than SF.
Same goes for the other parties' supporters.
SF did very well in the last GE but most of their successful candidates just managed to take the last seat in their constituencies.
I believe that they will lose more than they will gain in the next one. That's because the bigger parties will target those seats and the chances are that one or other will be able to use astute vote management to capture the final seat.
FF for example was able to take 2 out of 3 seats in tmy own area for a number of elections before the last one. Sean Haughey worked on half of the constituency and Ivor Callelly concentrated on the other.
FF ran a third candidate every time who canvassed everywhere. This one was never going to get elected but most of his no.2s and 3s went to the others and allowed them to take the second and third seat every time.
Can't see SF being able to do this in any constituency any time soon.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 12, 2013, 08:21:36 AM

Awwww Lawnseed, don't be bringing that issue up. Don't ya know that's the one that ties our southern friends in knots. I wouldn't be expecting any detailed answers!!!

Ah Jaysus, lads like you and lawnseed will never take the hint.
This isn't Andytown or the Bogside; down here we do things differently.
Sending Marty down to contest the last presidential election wasn't a clever move.

The feckin' eejit brought a bunch of heavies from Derry along to act as bodyguards. They wouldn't be out of place in an Al Capone movie.
We have enough hoodlums of our own to keep us going.
His campaign was run by heads he brought along with him and the SF organisation down here didn't get a look in.
Even Gerry was kept in the background and I can't recall seeing him on the same platform as Marty from start to finish. The whole charade was a PR disaster from start to finish.
If that' the best you lot can offer us, I think we'd be better off sticking with the bunch of assholes we have already.