Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Eurovision's 'bearded lady' winner divides Russia

By Steve Rosenberg
BBC News, Moscow

In his spare time, Communist MP Valery Rashkin likes climbing mountains. Back in the USSR he was a champion alpinist.

Today, though, Mr Rashkin faces an uphill battle of a different kind: to liberate Russia from the Eurovision Song Contest.

"I watched the results of last Saturday's Eurovision with deep pain," Valery tells me. "Giving first place to a bearded lady is a slight on humanity and suicide!"

The bearded lady in question is Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst. At the Eurovision final in Copenhagen, Conchita triumphed with 'Rise Like a Phoenix'.

In the corridors of Russian power, though, she sank like a lead balloon. Russian officials have cited her as an example of Europe's moral decay.

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote

They didn't like our girls because they had braids, not beards"

Oleg Nilov, MP, referring to Russia's Eurovision entry
Minutes after the result was announced, nationalist MP Vladimir Zhirinovsky ranted to Russian TV viewers: "This is the end of Europe. It's rotted away. There are no more men and women. There is just 'It'!"

'Sensible values'
If Valery Rashkin has his way, this will be the end of Russia's participation in Eurovision.

He has submitted an official request with the government to pull his country out of the contest and create an alternative competition called 'The Voice of Eurasia'. Mr Rashkin claims that "dozens" of Russian MPs back his initiative.

"I'm convinced that all sensible people, who love children and their motherland, will support this idea," he assures me. "The new contest will promote completely different values. Certainly not the values of transsexuals, lesbians and homosexuals."

One of the Duma's most devout anti-Eurovision deputies is Oleg Nilov.

In parliament this week, Mr Nilov claimed that "dark forces" had prevented Russia's entry, the 17-year-old Tolmachevy twins, from winning.

"They didn't like our girls because they had braids, not beards," he alleged, then promptly burst into song, with an impromptu performance of the Russian folk tune "Black Crow".

Russian MP Oleg Nilov sang a verse from a folk song in protest against Austria's Eurovision victory
'Russian Openvision'
But why is there such disharmony in the Duma over a song contest?

Last year President Putin signed a law that restricts the spread of information about "non-traditional sexual relations".

Moscow argues the legislation is necessary to protect under-18s and to promote traditional family values in Russian society.

Russian tabloid Tvoi den reports on campaign to shave off beards in protest at Conchita's victory
A campaign to shave off beards in protest at Conchita's victory is reported on in the Russian tabloid Tvoi den
One of the architects of the law was Vitaly Milonov, a member of the St Petersburg city council. He has vowed to prevent Conchita Wurst coming to Russia to give concerts.

"We should not allow this sick man to have concerts here," Mr Milonov tells me. "All this gay propaganda is disgusting. You buried Eurovision. Where the Eurovison song contest was there is now a big grave with the name of Conchita Wurst on it.

"Perhaps next time we should enter a singing bear, or perhaps a dancing troupe from the Russian intelligence service. In fact it's useless for us to send singers to your contests. We cannot expect fair play."

In place of Eurovision, Vitaly Milonov proposes a programme of "traditional songs and poetry about true love." He suggests a title for it: "Russian Openvision".

It is not only politicians who have been protesting.

There has been a campaign against Conchita in the Russian blogosphere, too, with Russian TV and pop stars posting images of themselves shaving off their beards in protest at Austria's victory.

And yet, if you look at how the Russian public voted in the Eurovision final, a very different picture emerges.

Russian televoters loved Conchita Wurst and ranked her third. It seems the public is less outraged by a bearded lady than parliament thinks it ought to be.

Vitaly Milonov dismisses the results of the voting as "fake".

But even on Russian state TV's live post-Eurovision chat show, there were studio guests voicing support for the Austrian singer, expressing views not normally heard on state television.

"Why do we always have to look for someone to hate?" asked one member of the audience.

In a live link-up from Copenhagen, even the writer of this year's Russian entry, Filip Kirkorov, declared: "Let's respect the winner. It doesn't matter if they have a beard or not. If they're a man or a woman.

"Perhaps the result is a protest against our views in Russia. Perhaps it should make us consider whether we should be so extreme in our attitudes towards sexual minorities and to people of different nationalities."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27404406

Hmmmm... dark forces - check, beard - check...

Maguire01

Quote from: glens abu on May 15, 2014, 10:37:03 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 15, 2014, 10:14:45 AM
Here's a question for people who are not comfortable voting Sinn Fein, up north specifically. Is the SDLP a viable alternative, or the Alliance? Or would you consider voting for a Unionist Party? Or is it a case of an independent or spoiling a vote? The choice in the south seems to be much wider (albeit they are all gobshites), whereas up north it seems you have to make a serious jump not to vote for the party that probably is closest to your heart in terms of the political sityiatshun.

I cant answer that as obviously I vote SF but would say a lot would find it hard to vote Unionist because of their constant bigotted statements.NI21 might be an option now for some as they appear fairly moderate.We noticed at the last count those who voted for the RNU,Eirigi or IRSP were transferring to SDLP in certain areas which was a bit of a surprise as the SDLP have attacked ex-pows on many occasions and a lot of these groups made up of ex-pows but maybe that was just an anti Shinner thing.Think the Alliance might suprise a few people in this election and poll well.Having said that I am finding on the canvas the only real problem we are having is the abortion issue other than that the support has been unreal so just hope it converts to votes next Thursday.
It was hardly a surprise - it's the same as the TUV transfers at the last European elections going disproportionately to the UUP, even though they should be closer to the DUP on the political spectrum. A sort of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' scenario - a snub to those you feel betrayed you / your position the most, whether that be SF or the DUP.

foxcommander

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 15, 2014, 07:22:57 PM

Clutching at straws to discredit Adams again I see....  ::)

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on May 15, 2014, 07:36:11 PM

Clutching at straws to discredit Adams again I see....  ::)
You don't get tongue-in-cheek, do you?

Nally Stand

Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 15, 2014, 05:49:51 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 05:32:45 PM
Gerry is always quick off the mark to call people liars when they say something that involves himself. He forgets the lies he told to the Irish nation about not having anything to do with his child rapist brother for 15 years. The evidence produced in court proved that he was in fact a liar, and not the media who he and his followers claimed.

Here is the full court transcript of his cross examination in full:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/08_10_2013_cross_exam_gerry_adams.pdf

Also, as most people will recall, Gerry has always claimed that Dolours Price was a liar when she claimed he was behind the disappearance of several people in the early 70's in interviews carried by the Irish News, The Sunday Life, and the Telegraph.

Gerry Adams had the opportunity to go to court and challenge Dolours over her claims. He refused saying he couldn't afford it. Now that she is dead, he can call her a liar all day long. He had a chance to prove he was telling the truth when she was alive, but he refused. Now she is dead, he can say what he wants.

Gerry has no problem raising millions over the years from lavish dinners in 5 star hotels. The party rakes in millions from Stormont and the Dail through salaries and expenses. Now call me stupid if you may, but in my book, if Gerry wanted to prove his innocence he could have challenged her claims in a court of law in order to clear his name while she was still alive.

Everyone in Sinn Fein repeats the claim by Gerry that he is innocent, yet not one single one of them stepped forward and said Gerry, we will stand behind you in a court action against Dolours, and no matter what it costs, we will do everything in our power to raise the money to cover your expenses. That would have been the ultimate show of faith in his innocence, but somehow, they maybe didn't believe him enough to risk going to court to prove it...........

Dixie, not sure if you've seen the news in recent weeks but Gerry was actually arrested and questioned for four days about IRA membership and the disappeared. He was released without charge. Ergo, he is innocent.

Nally, I think you missed my point, and my previous posts where I did know he was arrested and released without charge pending a file sent to the DPP to decide if he will face charges or not.

Dolours Price was interviewed by 2 people and she claimed Gerry Adams was involved in the disappearance of several people. That interview was carried by 3 major reputable newspapers a couple of years ago.

He had a chance to take Dolours or the papers to court to prove his innocence and challenge the very serious claims. He refused citing he couldn't afford to.

Now tell me this. If I was to make the same claims against Peter Robinson say, or Enda Kenny, or Micheal Martin, or indeed yourself in the same 3 papers, what do you think you or they would do?

Do you think they would challenge the claims in any way they could, including going to court no matter what the costs were? Would you challenge me in court no matter what the cost, or would you sit back and do nothing?

When Gerry said he couldn't afford the costs, he didn't know then that he would be arrested years later and given a chance to clear his name. From then until Dolours died, those claims went unchallenged legally. It was his word against hers.

Over the past few years we have seen serious allegations made about many famous people in the press. Those alleged to have committed the offenses stood up and said they were innocent of all charges, and would fight tooth and nail to defend themselves.

Several high profile people were arrested, questioned, and released. Files were sent to the DPP, and charges were brought against several of them. They had their day in court to defend themselves, and from what we have seen, many of them were convicted, and some found not guilty. In defending themselves, some had to sell their houses and borrow money to pay legal fees.

What they all had in common was a determination to refute the claims made against them no matter what the cost, and no matter what the outcome.

When is the last time you ever seen a high profile person accused of serious crimes in the papers refuse to challenge the claims in a court of law?

Using the excuse of not been able to afford court costs was a very very weak excuse to use given how serious the allegations were.
Dixie so what if Delours Price made such allegations. A woman who didn't like him made claims about him without any evidence? Big woop. You seem to think she is the only one to have ever made a wholly unsubstantiated claim about Gerry Adams past. If he were to take all such people to court like you suggest he should have to Delours, he'd never be out of courtrooms ffs. So why should he have? As it stands he is an innocent man anyway.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

glens abu

Gerry is above that,he would never take a former comrade to court esp if they have problems.He rose above all that when he visited the Dark on his death bed and carried his coffin.

glens abu

Eurovision's 'bearded lady' winner divides Russia

By Steve Rosenberg
BBC News, Moscow

In his spare time, Communist MP Valery Rashkin likes climbing mountains. Back in the USSR he was a champion alpinist.

Today, though, Mr Rashkin faces an uphill battle of a different kind: to liberate Russia from the Eurovision Song Contest.

"I watched the results of last Saturday's Eurovision with deep pain," Valery tells me. "Giving first place to a bearded lady is a slight on humanity and suicide!"

The bearded lady in question is Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst. At the Eurovision final in Copenhagen, Conchita triumphed with 'Rise Like a Phoenix'.

In the corridors of Russian power, though, she sank like a lead balloon. Russian officials have cited her as an example of Europe's moral decay.

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote

They didn't like our girls because they had braids, not beards"

Oleg Nilov, MP, referring to Russia's Eurovision entry
Minutes after the result was announced, nationalist MP Vladimir Zhirinovsky ranted to Russian TV viewers: "This is the end of Europe. It's rotted away. There are no more men and women. There is just 'It'!"

'Sensible values'
If Valery Rashkin has his way, this will be the end of Russia's participation in Eurovision.

He has submitted an official request with the government to pull his country out of the contest and create an alternative competition called 'The Voice of Eurasia'. Mr Rashkin claims that "dozens" of Russian MPs back his initiative.

"I'm convinced that all sensible people, who love children and their motherland, will support this idea," he assures me. "The new contest will promote completely different values. Certainly not the values of transsexuals, lesbians and homosexuals."

One of the Duma's most devout anti-Eurovision deputies is Oleg Nilov.

In parliament this week, Mr Nilov claimed that "dark forces" had prevented Russia's entry, the 17-year-old Tolmachevy twins, from winning.

"They didn't like our girls because they had braids, not beards," he alleged, then promptly burst into song, with an impromptu performance of the Russian folk tune "Black Crow".

Russian MP Oleg Nilov sang a verse from a folk song in protest against Austria's Eurovision victory
'Russian Openvision'
But why is there such disharmony in the Duma over a song contest?

Last year President Putin signed a law that restricts the spread of information about "non-traditional sexual relations".

Moscow argues the legislation is necessary to protect under-18s and to promote traditional family values in Russian society.

Russian tabloid Tvoi den reports on campaign to shave off beards in protest at Conchita's victory
A campaign to shave off beards in protest at Conchita's victory is reported on in the Russian tabloid Tvoi den
One of the architects of the law was Vitaly Milonov, a member of the St Petersburg city council. He has vowed to prevent Conchita Wurst coming to Russia to give concerts.

"We should not allow this sick man to have concerts here," Mr Milonov tells me. "All this gay propaganda is disgusting. You buried Eurovision. Where the Eurovison song contest was there is now a big grave with the name of Conchita Wurst on it.

"Perhaps next time we should enter a singing bear, or perhaps a dancing troupe from the Russian intelligence service. In fact it's useless for us to send singers to your contests. We cannot expect fair play."

In place of Eurovision, Vitaly Milonov proposes a programme of "traditional songs and poetry about true love." He suggests a title for it: "Russian Openvision".

It is not only politicians who have been protesting.

There has been a campaign against Conchita in the Russian blogosphere, too, with Russian TV and pop stars posting images of themselves shaving off their beards in protest at Austria's victory.

And yet, if you look at how the Russian public voted in the Eurovision final, a very different picture emerges.

Russian televoters loved Conchita Wurst and ranked her third. It seems the public is less outraged by a bearded lady than parliament thinks it ought to be.

Vitaly Milonov dismisses the results of the voting as "fake".

But even on Russian state TV's live post-Eurovision chat show, there were studio guests voicing support for the Austrian singer, expressing views not normally heard on state television.

"Why do we always have to look for someone to hate?" asked one member of the audience.

In a live link-up from Copenhagen, even the writer of this year's Russian entry, Filip Kirkorov, declared: "Let's respect the winner. It doesn't matter if they have a beard or not. If they're a man or a woman.

"Perhaps the result is a protest against our views in Russia. Perhaps it should make us consider whether we should be so extreme in our attitudes towards sexual minorities and to people of different nationalities."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27404406

::) ::)

glens abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 15, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
Quote from: glens abu on May 15, 2014, 04:10:47 PM
Some people need to be very careful about spreading lies.

3 hours ago 7,067 Views  72 Comments  Share39  Tweet21  Email2
Gerry Adams
Image: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland
GERRY ADAMS HAS asked his solicitor to take "appropriate" action against the Irish Independent and the Belfast Telegraph over what he says are false claims that he was tipped off about the sexual abuse case against Liam Adams.

Is that not the standard response you'd expect from most politicians? Will be interesting to see whether it's pursued.

Rarely makes false threats. ;)

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 04:30:34 PM

Says the man who has spent months spreading lies........

Takes one to know one. ;)

glens abu

Gerry is always quick off the mark to call people liars when they say something that involves himself. He forgets the lies he told to the Irish nation about not having anything to do with his child rapist brother for 15 years. The evidence produced in court proved that he was in fact a liar, and not the media who he and his followers claimed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/08_10_2013_cross_exam_gerry_adams.pdf

Also, as most people will recall, Gerry has always claimed that Dolours Price was a liar when she claimed he was behind the disappearance of several people in the early 70's in interviews carried by the Irish News, The Sunday Life, and the Telegraph.

Gerry Adams had the opportunity to go to court and challenge Dolours over her claims. He refused saying he couldn't afford it. Now that she is dead, he can call her a liar all day long. He had a chance to prove he was telling the truth when she was alive, but he refused. Now she is dead, he can say what he wants.

Gerry has no problem raising millions over the years from lavish dinners in 5 star hotels. The party rakes in millions from Stormont and the Dail through salaries and expenses. Now call me stupid if you may, but in my book, if Gerry wanted to prove his innocence he could have challenged her claims in a court of law in order to clear his name while she was still alive.

Everyone in Sinn Fein repeats the claim by Gerry that he is innocent, yet not one single one of them stepped forward and said Gerry, we will stand behind you in a court action against Dolours, and no matter what it costs, we will do everything in our power to raise the money to cover your expenses. That would have been the ultimate show of faith in his innocence, but somehow, they maybe didn't believe him enough to risk going to court to prove it...........

Dixie, not sure if you've seen the news in recent weeks but Gerry was actually arrested and questioned for four days about IRA membership and the disappeared. He was released without charge. Ergo, he is innocent.

Nally, I think you missed my point, and my previous posts where I did know he was arrested and released without charge pending a file sent to the DPP to decide if he will face charges or not.

Dolours Price was interviewed by 2 people and she claimed Gerry Adams was involved in the disappearance of several people. That interview was carried by 3 major reputable newspapers a couple of years ago.

He had a chance to take Dolours or the papers to court to prove his innocence and challenge the very serious claims. He refused citing he couldn't afford to.

Now tell me this. If I was to make the same claims against Peter Robinson say, or Enda Kenny, or Micheal Martin, or indeed yourself in the same 3 papers, what do you think you or they would do?

Do you think they would challenge the claims in any way they could, including going to court no matter what the costs were? Would you challenge me in court no matter what the cost, or would you sit back and do nothing?

When Gerry said he couldn't afford the costs, he didn't know then that he would be arrested years later and given a chance to clear his name. From then until Dolours died, those claims went unchallenged legally. It was his word against hers.

Over the past few years we have seen serious allegations made about many famous people in the press. Those alleged to have committed the offenses stood up and said they were innocent of all charges, and would fight tooth and nail to defend themselves.

Several high profile people were arrested, questioned, and released. Files were sent to the DPP, and charges were brought against several of them. They had their day in court to defend themselves, and from what we have seen, many of them were convicted, and some found not guilty. In defending themselves, some had to sell their houses and borrow money to pay legal fees.

What they all had in common was a determination to refute the claims made against them no matter what the cost, and no matter what the outcome.

When is the last time you ever seen a high profile person accused of serious crimes in the papers refuse to challenge the claims in a court of law?

Using the excuse of not been able to afford court costs was a very very weak excuse to use given how serious the allegations were.
[/quote

You taking lessons form your chum Anthony. ;)

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 15, 2014, 12:05:32 AM
Now, just so it is explicit, I am making the following statement
"Europes 'Jewish problem' is the problem of irrational hatred by anti-semites. The jewish people themselves have no case to answer. There is no worldwide jewish conspiracy."
I'm sure you can agree on that statement ?

Come on Seafoid...surely you agree with the above statement......Gaaboard awaits your answer. A simple yes or no will suffice,

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 08:24:46 AM
You would have made some detective during the Nuremberg Trials.

Interesting. I'm not sure how to respond to that except to warn you that people who come out
on the wrong side of history (as you are assuredly headed) come to a grisly end.

give her dixie

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 15, 2014, 09:44:25 PM

Dixie so what if Delours Price made such allegations. A woman who didn't like him made claims about him without any evidence? Big woop. You seem to think she is the only one to have ever made a wholly unsubstantiated claim about Gerry Adams past. If he were to take all such people to court like you suggest he should have to Delours, he'd never be out of courtrooms ffs. So why should he have? As it stands he is an innocent man anyway.

Nally, how do you know Dolours had no evidence? You ask why should he have taken her or others to court. As I see it, she was one of very few who went to the national media and had mainstream publications carry the story. Given that he is the leader of a large political party, would it not be in his best interests, and the interests of the public, to put her in the dock and ask her to back up up claims? After all, he declared to everyone, without any evidence, that she was telling lies?

As it stands, he told us all that he couldn't afford to go to court to challenge her claims that he was involved in several murders, yet he can afford to hire Paul Tweed to go after 2 newspapers who carried a story in which his sister in law claims he spoke to the police before he was due to give evidence at his brothers trial.

Does it not strike you or anyone else as odd that he would lets claims of his involvement in murders go unchallenged, yet hire a lawyer who usually works for Hollywood stars to defend claims he spoke to a policeman?

I don't know what Paul Tweed costs, but given he has represented people such as Britney Spears and the Duchess of York, i'm sure he doesn't come cheap. Maybe McGuinness worked out a special deal a couple of weeks ago when he was dining with the Windsors in Windsor?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

give her dixie

Quote from: glens abu on May 15, 2014, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 04:30:34 PM

Says the man who has spent months spreading lies........

Takes one to know one. ;)

Glens, now that you have finally admitted to been a liar, can you please explain to me what you claim to know about my brother in laws when you claimed the following:

"You keep an eye on the brother in laws with the money down your part of the world Dixie."

"now tell us what causes the brother in laws are involved in."

These are fairly serious allegations Glens, and i'm sure they are against the ethos and rules of the GAA Board.

Now would you care to explain what you mean?

give her dixie

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 15, 2014, 11:04:02 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on May 15, 2014, 08:24:46 AM
You would have made some detective during the Nuremberg Trials.

Interesting. I'm not sure how to respond to that except to warn you that people who come out
on the wrong side of history (as you are assuredly headed) come to a grisly end.

And what exactly do you mean when you warn me about coming to a grisly end?

That is a very strong claim to make Mike, and one that is well out of line.