Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Westside on June 30, 2022, 07:51:15 PM
Wooly is great because he can be so abrasive.

Kernan started talking today about how Armagh got "dragged into" a melee. Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row. He also called out Joyce on his comments about the penalties and McGeeney for his messing in the press conference.

I think Colm's ability to cut to the chase and call out bullshit where he sees it sets him apart from the rest. It can go too far at times and his personal twitter account can make for grim reading but as long as he sticks to Gaa, he's more entertaining than anyone else out there.

You think he's the only one who can or does do this?

Westside

Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2022, 09:23:55 AM

Kernan started talking today about how Armagh got "dragged into" a melee. Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row. He also called out Joyce on his comments about the penalties and McGeeney for his messing in the press conference.

I think Colm's ability to cut to the chase and call out bullshit where he sees it sets him apart from the rest. It can go too far at times and his personal twitter account can make for grim reading but as long as he sticks to Gaa, he's more entertaining than anyone else out there.

You think he's the only one who can or does do this?

He's definitely not the only one who can, to my mind he's the only one that does. Darren O'Sullivan for example acts like he's running a focus group where there's no wrong answers.

Westside

Quote from: armaghniac on June 30, 2022, 08:35:54 PM

Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row.

It makes good media, even if it isn't true.

A great example of the type of nonsense Wooly doesn't allow his guests to come out with. Have you listened to the podcast? He gives a very concise breakdown as to how Armagh escalated a two man row into an outright violent brawl, outlined that this is their third brawl of this year alone and McGeeney instead of stamping it out is more interested in picking on journalists and asking them if they would push back when pushed. It was almost uncomfortable the extent to which he hammered home these facts to Aaron Kiernan who was trying to skirt around the issues, great listening.

It's exactly the type of thing you want pundits to say but they usually take the sharp edges off their comments. Parkinson doesn't do that and it's what has gained him such a large following.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on July 01, 2022, 08:14:36 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 01, 2022, 08:09:00 AM
McGinley best pundit for me. Makes the tactical details understandable for mere novices.

What podcast is McGinley on?

He is on Off the Ball now and again. There's one with him and Billy Joe Padden (who is crap) reviewing the 1/4ers

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 01, 2022, 12:09:31 PM
McGinley best pundit for me. Makes the tactical details understandable for mere novices.

He is on Off the Ball now and again. There's one with him and Billy Joe Padden (who is crap) reviewing the 1/4ers

Mc Ginley talks a good game anyway.

tyroneman

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 01, 2022, 09:23:20 AM

FS Woolly calling out the bullshit....sure he is the biggest bullshitter of them all.

Which Podcast / episode is this on?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: marty34 on July 01, 2022, 12:16:51 PM

Generally the role of a pundit alright.

weareros

Only ever paid for two podcasts on Patreon - Wooly and Second Captains. I signed up for SC 5 or 6 years ago to hear a good Kevin McStay interview at time when he was Ros manager. I gave them a fair chance but eventually had to cancel because the waffle at the beginning was unbearable and the like of thing you'd hear from some poseurs trying to be funny at a University students Union. Wooly on the other hand understands audio and keeps the show moving well with a couple of great contributors. I hope they all make a few bob.

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 01, 2022, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 01, 2022, 12:16:51 PM

Generally the role of a pundit alright.

I just meant it as it didn't come across on his managerial role with Antrim. It ended quickly enough.

yellowcard

Quote from: Westside on July 01, 2022, 10:43:44 AM

Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row.

A great example of the type of nonsense Wooly doesn't allow his guests to come out with. Have you listened to the podcast? He gives a very concise breakdown as to how Armagh escalated a two man row into an outright violent brawl, outlined that this is their third brawl of this year alone and McGeeney instead of stamping it out is more interested in picking on journalists and asking them if they would push back when pushed. It was almost uncomfortable the extent to which he hammered home these facts to Aaron Kiernan who was trying to skirt around the issues, great listening.

It's exactly the type of thing you want pundits to say but they usually take the sharp edges off their comments. Parkinson doesn't do that and it's what has gained him such a large following.

He didn't exactly challenge Caolan Mooney the previous week as to why he was ringing James McCartan the day before a training weekend to see if the Down team could go drinking the following day in Malahide.

He will allow a selective amount of nonsense.

As for McGeeney picking on journalists, that's ludicrous. Sidebottom knew exactly what he was at in looking for a reaction. Perhaps McGeeney should have just played along but it can't be the easiest thing having a microphone shoved in your face minutes after the final whistle.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on July 01, 2022, 07:31:50 PM

He didn't exactly challenge Caolan Mooney the previous week as to why he was ringing James McCartan the day before a training weekend to see if the Down team could go drinking the following day in Malahide.

As for McGeeney picking on journalists, that's ludicrous. Sidebottom knew exactly what he was at in looking for a reaction. Perhaps McGeeney should have just played along but it can't be the easiest thing having a microphone shoved in your face minutes after the final whistle.

Geezer should leave the interviews to Donaghy. The man exudes aggression all the time. Sidearse was hardly acting a dick. No wonder Armagh involved in scraps this year!

Westside

Quote from: yellowcard on July 01, 2022, 07:31:50 PM

An interview with someone when you're trying to get information out of them is very different from allowing your own analyst to talk nonsense.

McGeeney was being a dick to sidebottom. He was asked tough but fair questions that he was inevitably going to be asked after his team were involved in their third all out brawl of the year. Shock horror, he got aggressive.

galwayman

Quote from: weareros on July 01, 2022, 04:26:30 PM
Only ever paid for two podcasts on Patreon - Wooly and Second Captains. I signed up for SC 5 or 6 years ago to hear a good Kevin McStay interview at time when he was Ros manager. I gave them a fair chance but eventually had to cancel because the waffle at the beginning was unbearable and the like of thing you'd hear from some poseurs trying to be funny at a University students Union. Wooly on the other hand understands audio and keeps the show moving well with a couple of great contributors. I hope they all make a few bob.
The Second Captains one is too soccer focused for me to pay for it.

JoeSoap

Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2022, 07:50:36 AM

I enjoy their soccer coverage, it's their rugby pods I can't stand. Rinse and repeat in terms of what the pundits say and god forbid if they have Gerry Thornley on and anyone dares venture any tiny criticism against the Ireland players. It's nauseating stuff. The only time their rugby coverage is good in my opinion is when they have on Craig Ray from South Africa or Scotty Stevenson from New Zealand, enjoy listening to them 2.

I subscribe to Second Captains mostly because of their soccer coverage though and as well, they'll quite often have a story you'll have never heard of that's pretty interesting, I've picked up a few books in the past based off interviews they've had or stories they've covered of different niche sports. They tend to get a wide variety of guests on. Their RTE radio show is decent as well, where they have a guest on and "rank" their sporting life, it's a bit of craic

But their GAA coverage has been poor overall this year, it's improved in recent weeks but they haven't spoken about the Tailteann Cup at all and the hurling has barely been covered until recently. I'm not a hurling man but it's been pretty noticeable. I also generally find your man Murph hard enough to listen to at times with the GAA coverage, when they just let Flynn and McConville go themselves it's a good listen but as someone else mentioned, Flynn can lose the run of himself as well.

galwayman

Quote from: JoeSoap on July 02, 2022, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2022, 07:50:36 AM

I enjoy their soccer coverage, it's their rugby pods I can't stand. Rinse and repeat in terms of what the pundits say and god forbid if they have Gerry Thornley on and anyone dares venture any tiny criticism against the Ireland players. It's nauseating stuff. The only time their rugby coverage is good in my opinion is when they have on Craig Ray from South Africa or Scotty Stevenson from New Zealand, enjoy listening to them 2.

I subscribe to Second Captains mostly because of their soccer coverage though and as well, they'll quite often have a story you'll have never heard of that's pretty interesting, I've picked up a few books in the past based off interviews they've had or stories they've covered of different niche sports. They tend to get a wide variety of guests on. Their RTE radio show is decent as well, where they have a guest on and "rank" their sporting life, it's a bit of craic

But their GAA coverage has been poor overall this year, it's improved in recent weeks but they haven't spoken about the Tailteann Cup at all and the hurling has barely been covered until recently. I'm not a hurling man but it's been pretty noticeable. I also generally find your man Murph hard enough to listen to at times with the GAA coverage, when they just let Flynn and McConville go themselves it's a good listen but as someone else mentioned, Flynn can lose the run of himself as well.
Oh my God Thornley is the biggest cheerleader I have ever encountered in the media. He's ridiculous.