Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: galwayman on February 04, 2022, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: Mario on February 04, 2022, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: ardtole on February 04, 2022, 10:43:26 AM
He has his own podcast now behind a paywall, a fiver a month, minimum 16 shows a month. Only started on Feb 1 behind the paywall, but good value for money imo. Smaller fish its called on patreon
I do like his show but i haven't paid yet. Will see if i miss it. On one hand it's only a 5er, on the other not sure i want to support this model. If i paid a 5er for every podcast i listened to it would be a significant cost every month. On top of netflix, sky, prime etc
I'm in the same boat myself. It was probably the podcast I listened to the most but haven't taken the plunge to pay for it yet.
All of the various things are starting to add up between the basic Sky, Netflix, Disney+, Spotify etc.
I held off on subscribing to second captains for the same reason.
I might take the plunge in this one yet tho will see.

Signed up myself and I think this will be the only one I sign up to. People always do the 'sure it's only the price or a pint' line. But as you say, all the direct debits add up! I like the show and never really miss an episode. I've even warmed to Conan!

Nice wee earner for Wooly so hopefully he invests in it and makes it even better.

tonto1888

He is one of two I have on Patreon. Some of the ones he does I will have no interest in but the preview and review shows are always good

greatpoint

I've yet to hear a football podcast as good as Colm Parkinson's. OTB's Football Pod can be decent but the personalities are a bit much at times.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: greatpoint on February 05, 2022, 03:37:04 PM
I've yet to hear a football podcast as good as Colm Parkinson's. OTB's Football Pod can be decent but the personalities are a bit much at times.
I have signed up for Woolys podcast, in Cian Ward he has imho one of the best analysts out there , agree on OTB it can be good at times (when Paddy Andrews gives someone else a chance to get a word in )

galwayman

Well lads. Just wondering what this has been like since it went behind the pay wall.
Considering signing up.
Has it been any good? Many shows a week now?
Cheers

snoopdog

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on February 05, 2022, 05:17:10 PM
I have signed up for Woolys podcast, in Cian Ward he has imho one of the best analysts out there , agree on OTB it can be good at times (when Paddy Andrews gives someone else a chance to get a word in )
Andrews brings everything back to himself. I stopped listening to it. Always turns into stories about him and Dublin. Grand if your a dub listening I suppose.

Tubberman

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2022, 06:47:38 AM
Andrews brings everything back to himself. I stopped listening to it. Always turns into stories about him and Dublin. Grand if your a dub listening I suppose.

Yeah Andrews is really grating on me at this stage. A real loudmouth who talks over JOD a lot.
Woolys is good, but I'm not interested in the hurling show or irish down under, so I only listen to the football pod.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

square_ball

Quote from: galwayman on March 25, 2022, 06:06:27 AM
Well lads. Just wondering what this has been like since it went behind the pay wall.
Considering signing up.
Has it been any good? Many shows a week now?
Cheers

I have signed up to it and he has about 5 shows a week out depending if there's a football/hurling weekend on. I only really listen to the football one but Aaron Kernan, Cian Ward and Eamon Callaghan are well worth a listen. Has had some good 1 to 1 interviews with different people like Ruby Walsh and Kevin Doyle which have been good and he had a very good one with the London manager a few weeks ago. I'll stick with it until the county season wraps up then play it by ear after that.

The Irish Examiner do a good pod the Monday after league games with Paul Rouse and Oisin McConville and then AN Other. Marty Clarke was very good on Monday past. I've listened to the first 2 new GAA Hour episodes with Darren O'Sullivan. It's OK but nowhere near the level Wooly had it at.

screenexile

Some of the BBC GAA Social podcasts are very good. Niblock and McConville have guests on and let them do the talking. Laverty's after the Kilcoo win was as good an hour of a podcast as I've ever listened to.

Notable others were Rory Gallagher and Shane McGuigan.

I just can't have Wooly at all.

Taylor

Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2022, 11:17:05 AM
Some of the BBC GAA Social podcasts are very good. Niblock and McConville have guests on and let them do the talking. Laverty's after the Kilcoo win was as good an hour of a podcast as I've ever listened to.

Second that.
Niblock & McConville are absolutely streets ahead of Wolly.

Reminds me of Mckenna - clickbait/shockjock and will say anything to get a bit of attention.

rosnarun

Did wooly himself ever play intercounty or play for any high profile managers?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

laoislad

Nordie man prefers Nordie content shocker!!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tyrone08

Quote from: laoislad on March 25, 2022, 01:55:59 PM

Nordie man prefers Nordie content shocker!!!

Or it could be that he doesn't want to pay to listen to Colm talk rubbish.

Blowitupref

Quote from: rosnarun on March 25, 2022, 01:53:58 PM

Did wooly himself ever play intercounty or play for any high profile managers?

Played a decade with Laois seniors, was part of the panel that won the Leinster title in 2003. Won Leinster U21 title in 1998 and Minor All-Ireland in 1996.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ardtole

He played under Mick O'Dwyer as well.