Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Spending more time promoting the deeply racist gript website rather than his own employers might have played a part.

yellowcard

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on December 05, 2021, 09:27:56 PM
Spending more time promoting the deeply racist gript website rather than his own employers might have played a part.

Parkinson is good on GAA, knowledgable yet entertaining, full of slagging and a bit of craic.

His right leaning political views on the other hand... 

Cyril Farrell fan

I can't imagine the money is great working for these smaller media organisations.
They regularly let people go.

thejuice

Just realized this has stopped. Are there plans to revive it with someone else as presenter.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ardtole

He has his own podcast now behind a paywall, a fiver a month, minimum 16 shows a month. Only started on Feb 1 behind the paywall, but good value for money imo. Smaller fish its called on patreon

Mario

Quote from: ardtole on February 04, 2022, 10:43:26 AM
He has his own podcast now behind a paywall, a fiver a month, minimum 16 shows a month. Only started on Feb 1 behind the paywall, but good value for money imo. Smaller fish its called on patreon
I do like his show but i haven't paid yet. Will see if i miss it. On one hand it's only a 5er, on the other not sure i want to support this model. If i paid a 5er for every podcast i listened to it would be a significant cost every month. On top of netflix, sky, prime etc

Tubberman

I signed up - it's the only podcast I pay for at the moment.
I think he could do with replacing Ger Brennan though, he drones on and on, isn't a good speaker and not all that insightful either imo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

full moon

I subscribed today, been listening to the podcast for years. Its worth it because of the volume of shows and the quality guests. Although I have no real interest in hurling part of it. I might give the other stuff like Oz interviews a listen.

I agree with Mario in one sense. Its actually €6.15 a month because it adds on VAT, still not too bad. But I already subscribe to the Wearecavan podcast for same price. Then recently I subscribed to the Gaelic Life digital edition for around the same price. I liked reading the actual newspaper of the Gaelic Life but I think its online only now? It's not great layout online but I'll probably keep it a few months. Not much altogether but much more and it would add up.

I don't really mind though throwing a few bob to it though because realistically they're mostly small operations and they wouldn't be feasible otherwise.

Captain Obvious

Charging? One would need to be paid to listen to Parkinson.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Tubberman on February 04, 2022, 03:01:43 PM
I think he could do with replacing Ger Brennan though, he drones on and on, isn't a good speaker and not all that insightful either imo.

Oh agree completely, if he had anything interesting to say you could excuse the fact that he's not a good speaker but his points are generally nonsense as well. Cian Ward is excellent in comparison.

ardtole

Have to agree, Cian Ward is very good. Even though Im not as much into the hurling, I enjoy all the contributors to the hurling side of things.

I think he will do well out off it, it helps my commute home go a bit quicker so im happy enough to tune in.

galwayman

Quote from: Mario on February 04, 2022, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: ardtole on February 04, 2022, 10:43:26 AM
I do like his show but i haven't paid yet. Will see if i miss it. On one hand it's only a 5er, on the other not sure i want to support this model. If i paid a 5er for every podcast i listened to it would be a significant cost every month. On top of netflix, sky, prime etc
I'm in the same boat myself. It was probably the podcast I listened to the most but haven't taken the plunge to pay for it yet.
All of the various things are starting to add up between the basic Sky, Netflix, Disney+, Spotify etc.
I held off on subscribing to second captains for the same reason.
I might take the plunge in this one yet tho will see.

square_ball

He has 1800 subscribers so far so not too bad going for the first few days of it. €9k a month is decent notwithstanding whatever he pays out to the contributors he has on it. I'll probably take the plunge and pay for it during the county season anyway. The preview and review shows are excellent. Aaron Kernan is very good as well. Would agree on Ger Brennan and would add Brendan Devenney to that as well.

OTB show with Paddy Andrews and James O'Donoghue is just ok but the presenter is awful.

charlieTully

square_ball