GAA gear prices 2 dear or reasonable (Jerseys, shorts, socks)

Started by RTEWW, November 23, 2007, 12:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on November 27, 2007, 12:59:20 PM
I have a jersey from the '99 season with the sleeves cut off. It's a wonder that never caught on! :o

Aye, they ddnt last long. One game against Offaly. and they were ditched. Didnt see them in any shops after.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

Meath jerseys are normally alright looking, but was the one you are talking about (ie. one outing against the biffos) not an awfull looking yoke. Also I think you have the year wrong, Meath played a lot more than one game in 1999, was it not 2001 that Offaly dumped ye on your hole in round 1.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Jinxy

I'm talking about the limited edition Trevor Giles gun-show sleeveless jersey.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gabriel_Hurl

Giles used to cut his sleeves off occasionally

I think everyone is on about these ones

Louth Exile

Quote from: Jinxy on November 27, 2007, 04:17:14 PM

I know the one you are talking about, I knew that you lot won a few more than one game in 1999!! I was wrong with the 2001, as you can see from GH's pics it was 2000. God it was an awful looking jersey though.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on November 27, 2007, 04:17:14 PM

ah right, that was 2000. In 1999 we won the whole damn thing. Giles cut the sleeves of his jeresy in 99' himself or maybe his mother did it for him, for aerodynamic purposes, i guess.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Leo

Quote from: tyrone86 on November 27, 2007, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: Rois on November 26, 2007, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile on November 25, 2007, 01:51:58 AM
anybody got a preview of the new tyrone kit? or anybody know what it looks like?

Saw three prototypes made up by O'Neill's about a month and a half ago, before the sponsor was agreed upon.  Two out of the three looked very sharp - not sure if they went for the collarless one or not.  Red stripes across the shoulders. 

Launching at O'Neill's in Strabane this week.  Tyrone yearbook to follow as well...and it's fantastic looking.

Nope, the collar remains. They did lose the quote on the jersey at the behest of county committee. Something to do with players and wains getting slagged about it  ::) Personally, if the White Rocwell logo is taken rather than the old type red one then it should look the part, certainly an improvement on the last one.

Regarding the yearbook, looking fantastic is one thing, but post the launch of Teamtalk in 2000 the content was brutal in the years it was published, in contrast to the top quality programmes the communications committee produce. Hopefully in Brendan Harkin's last year as PRO they'll go come out with a corker.

You've failed to mention the new fabric for Tyrone. In the same way the rugby boys have these grip-resistant shirts yrone have adopted the new Quick-dive polyester imported from Swim America.Penalty!!
Fierce tame altogether

Jinxy

God that one from 2000 was pure horrible. No wonder the players decided they had enough and threw the game against Offaly.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I'm afraid fashion doesn't come into my appreciation of football at all and I'm constantly bemused by the length of threads and intensity of debates we get here about colours and designs and whether one jersey is "nicer" than another. I'd expect that kind of thing on sites dedicated to what the GAA refers to as "ladies'" football and I'm particularly disturbed to see Meath men embroiled in this debate. We need a few manly posts from yiz lads to refurbish your reputations - maybe a debate about the pint of plain vs. the small one or the best way to deal with loose teeth - spit them out or swallow them.

Anyway - I just came in to say I always understood Trevor's reason for flittering the sleeves off his jersey was to deny jackeen corner-boys corner backs anything to get a hoult of and I assumed the Co. board decided it was a good idea and adopted that design for the following year. Then Offaly dumped us out in the first round and, rather than sack the manager or revamp the team or indulge in other such convulsions as other counties do, we decided to dump the jersey. And it nearly worked, as we got to the AIF the next year.

RTEWW

Quote from: Hardy on November 27, 2007, 05:51:32 PM
I'm afraid fashion doesn't come into my appreciation of football at all and I'm constantly bemused by the length of threads and intensity of debates we get here about colours and designs and whether one jersey is "nicer" than another. I'd expect that kind of thing on sites dedicated to what the GAA refers to as "ladies'" football and I'm particularly disturbed to see Meath men embroiled in this debate. We need a few manly posts from yiz lads to refurbish your reputations - maybe a debate about the pint of plain vs. the small one or the best way to deal with loose teeth - spit them out or swallow them.

Anyway - I just came in to say I always understood Trevor's reason for flittering the sleeves off his jersey was to deny jackeen corner-boys corner backs anything to get a hoult of and I assumed the Co. board decided it was a good idea and adopted that design for the following year. Then Offaly dumped us out in the first round and, rather than sack the manager or revamp the team or indulge in other such convulsions as other counties do, we decided to dump the jersey. And it nearly worked, as we got to the AIF the next year.

Nickey Brennan and co talk about going professional get the county teams in order as they are the main selling point to the association. Why do clubs mot provide teams with full kits or countues for that matter. Recently in club and county games players have been running around in jerseys, most commonly shorts amd socks which does not represent the team that they play for or represent. In fact on county level it is an embarrassement to the specified team. We must be like premiership teams in england were everybody is the same. I attended a club match in laois recently when players were some players were playing in jerseys which were 10 or 20 years old and some were playing in the present jersey. The club shall not be named to avoid embarrassement