The Greats that never were

Started by Barney, November 21, 2007, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the green man

Quote from: gaagaa on November 24, 2007, 10:34:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 24, 2007, 06:00:22 PM
Quote from: glenullinabu on November 23, 2007, 10:58:14 PM
QuoteKevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster
this is the funniest line of the years. Now only a blind Glen man would say that or else a blood relation...either way you haven't a f**king clue.

Dunno about these boys but rooster wasnt much of a corner back

Probably not, but still only one of two in Derry to hold a county senior all ireland winners medal

AFS

Quote from: thewingedlady on November 23, 2007, 10:27:37 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 23, 2007, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2007, 12:28:43 PM
What do you mean no good since ? Philip Loughran hasn't been playing a lot since 03 - hard to write him off ?

He hasn't been playing because he's no good, i'm from Armagh and I can see that. Its a pity though cuz he would have been a great successor to Paul McGrane.

no such thing as a successor to Paul McGrane. Truly one of a kind.

Unfortunately for us thats probably true.

Kerry Mike

The Kerry team of 1982, within touching distance of true greatness.

Shure they had to settle for a meagre 4-in-a-row and followed it up with a little 3-in-a-row for the craic. But the 5er would have been special.

And only for that feckin baldy hoor Peter Canavan we might have now been on the cusp of another assault on the famous 5  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

glenullinabu

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 24, 2007, 06:00:22 PM
Quote from: glenullinabu on November 23, 2007, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2007, 02:09:37 PM
Derry - Dermott McNicholl (peaked too soon)

the oz experience didnt help his shooting ability, though still one of Derry all-time greats
his cousin Declan McNicholl one of greatest talents - emmigrated to US in 1985/6 - an unbelievable footballer
Kevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster

Declean one of the greatest wastes

QuoteKevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster

this is the funniest line of the years. Now only a blind Glen man would say that or else a blood relation...either way you haven't a f**king clue.

and what would you know ::)

The Hill is Blue

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

donegal gael

donegal - christy toye, david mcginley (was a brillant minor), mark mcshane, barry mcgowan,

Leo

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 22, 2007, 12:57:55 AM
Shorty was too fond of the drink, he also managed to fall out with Pete McGrath early in 1991, he made a brief return in 1995, one year too late.

Shorty & Brendy Mason were the big white hopes for Down in the 80's but Down won nothing with them and immediately won two All-Irelands without them. Whatever the reson for Shorty's absence it has to be accepted that some marvellous club footballers do not make the transition to county and these are two prime examples. In fact they were shocking in the Down jersey most of the time.
In Down terms the one truly GREAT who never was - Dalsey Mooney!
Fierce tame altogether

corn02

Frank Casey

Batty Galvin is a first cousin of Micko Dwyers and was 10 times the footballer.
KERRY 3:7

heganboy

FAO Goats don't shave

QuoteThe main man on that team was Barry Hughes - Super footballer! Unfortunately he was plaugued by injuries!
not to mention the fact that he left the country...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gaelicy O Flaherty

I remember a young Aidan McGarry catching my eye on a cold winters morning at the Dub in a freshers match, I'm not sure which club he played for but he was playing for Queens that day.  His free taking was something else, he scored 3 10 and looked like a county player in the making.  A real classy centre half forward, I know this because I was marking him! 

Unfortunately I think he took to the booze a bit and lost interest and his fitness.  I hear he is working in Lavey now and hasn't touched a football in 10 years, but everyone who seen him in action would agree with my assessment.