The Greats that never were

Started by Barney, November 21, 2007, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2007, 12:28:43 PM
What do you mean no good since ? Philip Loughran hasn't been playing a lot since 03 - hard to write him off ?

He hasn't been playing because he's no good, i'm from Armagh and I can see that. Its a pity though cuz he would have been a great successor to Paul McGrane.

Rudi

Seamus O Neill (Roscommon) Big strong lad, perfect football build. Loss of interest.
Frankie Dolan (Roscommon) Indiscipline + Maughan factor.
John Dowd (Roscommon) Promising fullback who replaced Pat Doorey in early 90s - emigrated.
Luke Dolan (Roscommon) Superb corner forward with excellent left foot. Enjoyed the good life.
Lorcan Dowd (Roscommon) Talented forward. Could not be arsed.
Dermot Washington (Roscommon) Talented minor corner forward of 92 - Armagh boys might remember this fella. Crashed & burned.

The list is endless - I look at my  club team & can safely say only 3 or 4  currently playing at the moment would make a dream selection had all players in the 19-32 bracket made themselves available for selection.

thewingedlady

Quote from: AFS on November 23, 2007, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2007, 12:28:43 PM
What do you mean no good since ? Philip Loughran hasn't been playing a lot since 03 - hard to write him off ?

He hasn't been playing because he's no good, i'm from Armagh and I can see that. Its a pity though cuz he would have been a great successor to Paul McGrane.

no such thing as a successor to Paul McGrane. Truly one of a kind.

glenullinabu

Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2007, 02:09:37 PM
Derry - Dermott McNicholl (peaked too soon)

the oz experience didnt help his shooting ability, though still one of Derry all-time greats
his cousin Declan McNicholl one of greatest talents - emmigrated to US in 1985/6 - an unbelievable footballer
Kevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster

glenullinabu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
Derry - Brian McCormick

had a couple of good games in 93 but not as good as he could have been - great player for Lavy though

glenullinabu

Quote from: Frank Casey on November 21, 2007, 05:20:06 PM
Tadhg Kennelly - currently a Sydney Swan. There's hope yet that he might follow his brother and late father onto the field at Croke Park and who knows get a celtic cross to add to his Oz version. I'm sure he'd love to dance that jig in front of the Hogan.

he'll be back ;D

glenullinabu

Quote from: Pangurban on November 22, 2007, 12:52:52 AM
Shorty Treanor of Down, an undoubted star who for some strange reason was unable to shine at Co.level

can still remember him against us in 1985 v burren - class act - the git ;)

croker

Definitely one of the greatest to underachieve was Frank McGuigan  one of the most complete players in every sense for club county and province. Gifted, strong ,great feet, body swerve, panache,nowhow whatever!
Probably became  a gaa superstar too young. Probably needed to be nurtured guarded, protected as Tyrone county stars are now.
Undoubtedly should have achieved more at  a higher level if in the game now would be a super star.
Can't fault Frank as the infrstructure that is in Tyrone now wasnt their in 70s  and 80s  tried to redeem situation himself unfortunately career cut short.
I  have no doubt in saying if he had been there in 86 with mcgarvey lynch mcginn mckenna donaghy ohagan mallon and all the others we would have won the all ire.
Sad to see his son eqally talented cut done in the prime of his career despite 2 all ire medals and an all star which he deserved on merit but was erroeously denied by press and media.
                            Tir eoghan abu

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rudi on November 23, 2007, 07:07:01 PM
Seamus O Neill (Roscommon) Big strong lad, perfect football build. Loss of interest.
Frankie Dolan (Roscommon) Indiscipline + Maughan factor.
John Dowd (Roscommon) Promising fullback who replaced Pat Doorey in early 90s - emigrated.
Luke Dolan (Roscommon) Superb corner forward with excellent left foot. Enjoyed the good life.
Lorcan Dowd (Roscommon) Talented forward. Could not be arsed.
Dermot Washington (Roscommon) Talented minor corner forward of 92 - Armagh boys might remember this fella. Crashed & burned.

The list is endless - I look at my  club team & can safely say only 3 or 4  currently playing at the moment would make a dream selection had all players in the 19-32 bracket made themselves available for selection.

allways wondered what ever happened to this lad , i remember he destroyed the mayo minors own his own in 1992, don't think he played for the under 21's even but he was a fabulous footballer
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Jinxy

Quote from: glenullinabu on November 23, 2007, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
Derry - Brian McCormick

had a couple of good games in 93 but not as good as he could have been - great player for Lavy though

He was very good against Down in '94 too if I'm thinking of the right lad.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

I have to agree that Frank McGuigan weas in a league of his wn - in fact in antoher world - unfortunately he went to America and Ireland didn't see his best years - only when he retuned did we see glimpses of his sheer brilliance - unfortunately he had a traffic accident which ended his career.
Brian is a different sort of player - a real creator of things - and the rest of the family aren't bad either !!!!  ;)

Zapatista

Tyrone - Seamus Donaghey

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: glenullinabu on November 23, 2007, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 21, 2007, 02:09:37 PM
Derry - Dermott McNicholl (peaked too soon)

the oz experience didnt help his shooting ability, though still one of Derry all-time greats
his cousin Declan McNicholl one of greatest talents - emmigrated to US in 1985/6 - an unbelievable footballer
Kevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster

Declean one of the greatest wastes

QuoteKevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster

this is the funniest line of the years. Now only a blind Glen man would say that or else a blood relation...either way you haven't a f**king clue.

gaagaa

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on November 24, 2007, 06:00:22 PM
Quote from: glenullinabu on November 23, 2007, 10:58:14 PM
QuoteKevin & Mark Rafferty, brothers who both emmigrated in 1984 and late 1980's - either of these 2 could have been in full back line in 1993 instead of Rooster
this is the funniest line of the years. Now only a blind Glen man would say that or else a blood relation...either way you haven't a f**king clue.

Dunno about these boys but rooster wasnt much of a corner back

Zapatista