Half Parishes

Started by APM, December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Daingean in Offaly has 4 half parish . Daingean , ballyconmmon kilclonfert and Cappincur thought does the main parish count as a half parish?

the  main difference between a Parish and half parish team is players from the Parish can play for any of the teams
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

imtommygunn

Quote from: ned on December 11, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 08:02:18 AM
Is creggan a separate parish to randalstown?What other ones ned? I think moneyglass is it's own?

Glenravel. Carey?

Is Carey not a parish in it's own right? There's a big chapel in the middle of it. Unless it takes in some of Ballycastle but I don't think so? Glenravel would be too. There are no clubs or parishes for a good few miles round it.

Lar Naparka

I think half parishes came about when the (Catholic) church authorities decided to build a second (or third) chapel in a parish.  There could have been several reasons  for this- generally it was because the parish was so large that many parishioners found it very inconvenient to attend the parish church. These chapels of ease, as they were called, were then  used by the GAA in many parts of the country to base clubs new back in its early days when populations were greater and travel more difficult than today.
Dunno what the story was with the half parishes of Gowna and Mullinachta or if there is a church in each half  and I'm sure nobody in either gives a damn right now!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

LooseCannon

Quote from: rosnarun on December 11, 2018, 01:23:55 PM
Daingean in Offaly has 4 half parish . Daingean , ballyconmmon kilclonfert and Cappincur thought does the main parish count as a half parish?

the  main difference between a Parish and half parish team is players from the Parish can play for any of the teams
Quarter parish teams so. There's a church in Daingean, Kilclonfert and Ballycommon, while there's an oratory in Cappincur.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 11, 2018, 02:11:11 PM
I think half parishes came about when the (Catholic) church authorities decided to build a second (or third) chapel in a parish.  There could have been several reasons  for this- generally it was because the parish was so large that many parishioners found it very inconvenient to attend the parish church. These chapels of ease, as they were called, were then  used by the GAA in many parts of the country to base clubs new back in its early days when populations were greater and travel more difficult than today.
Dunno what the story was with the half parishes of Gowna and Mullinachta or if there is a church in each half  and I'm sure nobody in either gives a damn right now!

We were originally part of the parish of Columbkille(sic) as Billy can ruefully remind us, but the parish boundaries in north Longford and the adjacent parts of Cavan were redefined in 1839 (Killoe was split in three, and Abbeylara, which previously had had four detached portions, was rationalised and its boundaries with Colmcille and Granard redefined). We, being the part of then-Colmcille on the eastern shore of the lough, were united with Scrabby which had earlier been part of the parish of Killeshandra in the diocese of Kilmore. I suppose we might be thought of as the parish of the offcuts.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

SCFC

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 09, 2018, 10:50:46 PM
Quote from: APM on December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
Congrats to Mullinalaghta - big day for the little guy!!

Not the first half-parish to win provincial honours.  Can you name the others?
Walsh Island have 2. They're a third of a parish.
Gracefield.
Portlaoise have 7 titles. One of four clubs in the parish of Portlaoise.  Two dual clubs, one hurling only and one football only.

LeoMc

Clonoe parish has 4 clubs in it. Is it split along church / primary school lines?

REDCOL

In Mayo Garrymore & Hollymount are both in the same parish. They won 9 SFC between them between 1974 & 1994. Garrymore collecting six. They also were the first Mayo Club team to reach an All Ireland Club Final in 1981/82, but lost out to Nemo Rangers. Garrymore still reach a QF in Mayo nearly every year, while Hollymount have amalgameted and reached an All Ireland Intermediate Club final a few years ago.

ned

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: ned on December 11, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 11, 2018, 08:02:18 AM
Is creggan a separate parish to randalstown?What other ones ned? I think moneyglass is it's own?

Glenravel. Carey?

Is Carey not a parish in it's own right? There's a big chapel in the middle of it. Unless it takes in some of Ballycastle but I don't think so? Glenravel would be too. There are no clubs or parishes for a good few miles round it.

I am almost 100% sure about Carey.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: REDCOL on December 12, 2018, 08:37:21 AM
In Mayo Garrymore & Hollymount are both in the same parish. They won 9 SFC between them between 1974 & 1994. Garrymore collecting six. They also were the first Mayo Club team to reach an All Ireland Club Final in 1981/82, but lost out to Nemo Rangers. Garrymore still reach a QF in Mayo nearly every year, while Hollymount have amalgameted and reached an All Ireland Intermediate Club final a few years ago.
[/quote
Not entirely true. While Garrymore (and Hollymount ) both fall into Kilcommon parish, Garrymore traditionally also drew from Crossbooyne parish, especially during the years when they dominated Mayo football. The borderline between Garrymore and Milltown was also a moveable feast. This doesn't lessen the achievements of Garry but is not the same as Mullinalaghtna.

manfromdelmonte

Parish rule not used in some counties like Westmeath
You could live in Athlone and play with Castlepollard at the other end of the county if you want.

Walt Jabsco

Does Carey not lie within the parish of Culfeightrim?

ned

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on December 12, 2018, 07:06:17 PM
Does Carey not lie within the parish of Culfeightrim?

The original point made was that "parish teams" were more of a southern counties thing. Carey is still the only club within that parish. It is not the name of the village.

Walt Jabsco

Agreed that it is only club in that parish but I was trying to make the point that the club is not named after the parish where a lot of clubs are named after the parish and not the major settlement within the parish eg Clonduff not Hilltown. Conversely there are probably as many not using the parish name.

This year three teams from the "old" Clonallon parish contested the Down SFC semi finals ie Burren CPN and Mayobridge probably a rare occurrence for something like this to happen. Anyone know if any other county can claim a similar situation?

LooseCannon

It's very possible that the four clubs in the St Vincent's area in Offaly were all occupying the four semi final spots of the Offaly junior football championship in years gone by. Ballycommon, Cappincur, Daingean and Kilclonfert were all junior at the same time for a while. Cappincur are now senior A, Ballycommon and Daingean intermediate, while Kilclonfert remain in the junior ranks.