PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: five points on July 19, 2018, 02:05:32 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 18, 2018, 03:59:07 PM
Should they have allowed this? Of course. Could they without passing a motion at congress? Probably not.

The fact that this is nothing more than a charity game could perhaps have gotten around the rules but wasn't there even a thing in Longford where they allowed facilities be used for a kids summer camp for soccer and got punished by HQ??

That article in the rules needs to go especially f the American Football is somehow being allowed.

Not unrelated to the fact that a Premiership soccer star jetted in and bragged to the local media something stupid about soccer taking over from Irish football in that part of the world.  He ended up paying the fine for the club.

Your first claim is false.  Your second claim is true.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

trailer

Couple of questions.
1) Why can the FAI or Soccer community not play the game in a Soccer stadium in Cork?
2) Who was responsible for announcing the game without a venue?
3) Why does the match have to be played in Cork?
4) How many will be at the game?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 23, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Couple of questions.
1) Why can the FAI or Soccer community not play the game in a Soccer stadium in Cork?

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

3. Because its a charity game for Cork to commemorate a Cork man. Why did the GAA play Anto Finnegsns fundraiser in a rugby venue in Belfast?

4. The 7,500 current tickets sold out in 60 seconds.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 23, 2018, 12:53:25 PM
Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

3. Because its a charity game for Cork to commemorate a Cork man. Why did the GAA play Anto Finnegsns fundraiser in a rugby venue in Belfast?

What's the issue then? It's sold out. They have a Venue.
Surely if there's that many Soccer fans in Cork the FAI or Cork City or whoever would have built a bigger Stadium?
This has been poorly organised by the Charity in my opinion. The Aviva is a more than suitable venue if it's purely about attendance.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 23, 2018, 01:02:49 PM
Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

Surely if there's that many Soccer fans in Cork the FAI or Cork City or whoever would have built a bigger Stadium?
This has been poorly organised by the Charity in my opinion. The Aviva is a more than suitable venue if it's purely about attendance.

The issue is the GAA took €30m for puc on the specific condition that it was opened for events like this. If they can increase the crowd they can increase the money raised for the local hospice. Soccer doesnt need a bigger stadium in Cork, waste of money.

You ignored the Anto Finnegan situation when the GAA were on the other side of the equation, wanting to allow Belfast commemorate a local lad.  Let me guess, thats different?

Jinxy

I'm starting to think you are Paul Kimmage.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 23, 2018, 02:09:22 PM
Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

The issue is the GAA took €30m for puc on the specific condition that it was opened for events like this. If they can increase the crowd they can increase the money raised for the local hospice. Soccer doesnt need a bigger stadium in Cork, waste of money.

You ignored the Anto Finnegan situation when the GAA were on the other side of the equation, wanting to allow Belfast commemorate a local lad.  Let me guess, thats different?

Honestly I have no issue with it, if they are willing to cover the costs of opening PUC for the evening. No problem. It's for a good cause.
My issue is with people using it to bash the GAA. People who have no interest in GAA, who look over the fence and refuse to see the amount of good such an organisation does up and down the country. An organisation I am proud to be a member of. Yes it isn't perfect, but it's better run than most other sporting organisations in the world. McKenna and Brolly have latched onto it as another Arrow to their GAA bashing Bow. I also think a lot of soccer heads have jumped on it and made a huge issue out of it.

There are alternatives that weren't explored. The FAI and Cork City are looking like the amateurs they are. This could have been handled a lot better rather than the megaphone diplomacy that it has now descended to.
A rule change is needed. But I doubt it will pass congress.

trailer

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 11:30:20 AM
My gut feeling is the game will go ahead in PUC and will draw a crowd of around 20-25,000.
The last couple of days has demonstrated for me that there are a significant number of ordinary, decent, frustrated and annoyed people who would like this game to go ahead in PUC for all the right reasons, but there are also a lot of very bitter soccer fans who see this as an opportunity to stick the knife into the GAA.
The latter cohort have been very vocal on social media, however, I doubt they have any intention of attending the game.
Most of them seem to be Shamrock Rovers fans anyway.
When it was incorrectly reported that PUC was going to be opened for the game, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't really about Liam Miller for them.

Again, the GAA suits proved those people right this time, Jinxy. There's something horribly wrong culturally in GAA officialdom when you look at some of the insane decisions made in the last 12 months.

Milltown Row2

Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

So the GAA took 30 mil, knowing they would have to break/change their rules.. I'd like to see the detail in that agreement, have you a link to the actual agreement? or are you just talking out your arse?

Surely Cork Gaa would have changed the rules to allow soccer games to be played at PUC on receiving that money?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 02:23:43 PM
My gut feeling is the game will go ahead in PUC and will draw a crowd of around 20-25,000.
The last couple of days has demonstrated for me that there are a significant number of ordinary, decent, frustrated and annoyed people who would like this game to go ahead in PUC for all the right reasons, but there are also a lot of very bitter soccer fans who see this as an opportunity to stick the knife into the GAA.
The latter cohort have been very vocal on social media, however, I doubt they have any intention of attending the game.
When it was incorrectly reported that PUC was going to be opened for the game, it quickly became apparent that this wasn't really about Liam Miller for them.

Again, the GAA suits proved those people right this firm Jinxy. There's something horribly wrong culturally in GAA officialdom when you look at some of the insane decisions made in the last 12 months.

Whoever their PR guy is, he needs to go. There will be case studies done in future using the GAA's handling of events recently as WHAT NOT TO DO when dealing with a crisis.

Their latest screw up is yet another own goal. It's one thing to announce they plan on meeting with the organisers of the game but it turns out they released this statement on twitter before they had even picked up the phone/sent an e-mail to set it up!!!

They really are their own worst enemy. It seems the suits in Croke Park think they are right and everyone else is in the wrong. Clearly they have learned nothing from the Newbridge fiasco

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2018, 02:27:28 PM
Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

So the GAA took 30 mil, knowing they would have to break/change their rules.. I'd like to see the detail in that agreement, have you a link to the actual agreement? or are you just talking out your arse?

Surely Cork Gaa would have changed the rules to allow soccer games to be played at PUC on receiving that money?
The agreement was linked to a couple of pages in in a Tweet and hsd bern mentioned in tbe media at kength.

Surely is the word.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
I'm starting to think you are Paul Kimmage.  ;D

My grammer and punctuation are better

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 23, 2018, 02:19:51 PM
Couple of questions.

1. They are.

2. They didnt.

Honestly I have no issue with it, if they are willing to cover the costs of opening PUC for the evening. No problem. It's for a good cause.
My issue is with people using it to bash the GAA. People who have no interest in GAA, who look over the fence and refuse to see the amount of good such an organisation does up and down the country. An organisation I am proud to be a member of. Yes it isn't perfect, but it's better run than most other sporting organisations in the world. McKenna and Brolly have latched onto it as another Arrow to their GAA bashing Bow. I also think a lot of soccer heads have jumped on it and made a huge issue out of it.

There are alternatives that weren't explored. The FAI and Cork City are looking like the amateurs they are. This could have been handled a lot better rather than the megaphone diplomacy that it has now descended to.
A rule change is needed. But I doubt it will pass congress.
What have Cork City got to do with this?

Jinxy

Quote from: dublin7 on July 23, 2018, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 02:23:43 PM

Again, the GAA suits proved those people right this firm Jinxy. There's something horribly wrong culturally in GAA officialdom when you look at some of the insane decisions made in the last 12 months.

Whoever their PR guy is, he needs to go. There will be case studies done in future using the GAA's handling of events recently as WHAT NOT TO DO when dealing with a crisis.

Their latest screw up is yet another own goal. It's one thing to announce they plan on meeting with the organisers of the game but it turns out they released this statement on twitter before they had even picked up the phone/sent an e-mail to set it up!!!

They really are their own worst enemy. It seems the suits in Croke Park think they are right and everyone else is in the wrong. Clearly they have learned nothing from the Newbridge fiasco

Lisa Clancy used to be head of communications and prior to that role she worked for the HSE I think.
It's Alan Milton now, but he comes from a journalism background as far as I'm aware.
He was an absolute disaster on the radio after the Newbridge affair was resolved.
This is why big organisations need professional PR types.
They are hard-wired to think a couple of steps ahead and understand the importance of optics.
Once the public turn on you, you're into damage limitation territory.
If you were any use you'd be playing.