TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: thewobbler on November 23, 2018, 08:10:41 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 23, 2018, 07:57:50 AM
Always put The Wire off, couldn't be arsed with another big show but realized yesterday its only 5 seasons so going to start it when off at Christmas.

You'll need to get past the first 3-4 episodes.

First 3-4 episodes introduce you lightly to around 40 characters, many of who are barely discernible from each other until you get used to their character traits. It's wild confusing. Then a light starts to come on. Then you'll watch it all in 3 days.

You probably won't enjoy season 2 until you watch the entire series again a week later, and realise that 3 seasons of plots spawn from it.

It's genius. The greatest show ever made.

Good synopsis wobbler, well said.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bennydorano

Watching House repeats, again. Always loved Hugh Laurie.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 23, 2018, 10:36:13 AM
Always put The Wire off, couldn't be arsed with another big show but realized yesterday its only 5 seasons so going to start it when off at Christmas.

First 3-4 episodes introduce you lightly to around 40 characters, many of who are barely discernible from each other until you get used to their character traits. It's wild confusing. Then a light starts to come on. Then you'll watch it all in 3 days.

You probably won't enjoy season 2 until you watch the entire series again a week later, and realise that 3 seasons of plots spawn from it.

+1
#newbridgeornowhere

Jell 0 Biafra

Plus, you don't need to watch season 5 at all.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: bennydorano on November 23, 2018, 10:45:31 AM

That's my favourite series ever, have all the box sets. Hugh Laurie is brilliant and the script is fantastic
Apart from my favourite movie "Apocalypse Now" I don't think if have repeated as much viewing with anything else.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 23, 2018, 11:46:02 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 23, 2018, 10:36:13 AM

+1
Except the "probably won't enjoy season 2 bit", projecting a subjective  bias.
I enjoyed season 2 right from the first scene. I might rate other seasons higher or similar, but season 2  not enjoyable until you suss out what happens later?

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on November 23, 2018, 10:45:31 AM

Watched one episode of that. Was alright but you'd end up a hypochondriac if you watched all of it.

Main Street

I'm watching s1 of Babylon Berlin, Berlin in Weimar republic times 1929, based on a series of books by a Volker Kutscher, following a detective recently transferred to Berlin -  sleazy, poverty, left political plots, just anything goes.
The tv drama is epic, episode 2 the nightclub scene was just perfectly choreographed extravagant music theatre.

bennydorano

Bojack Horseman on Netfix, adult cartoon, pretty funny and pretty dark at times. Will Arnett voices the main character, I seem to be following Will about a bit, a favourite actor of mine.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2018, 12:42:22 AM
I'm watching s1 of Babylon Berlin, Berlin in Weimar republic times 1929, based on a series of books by a Volker Kutscher, following a detective recently transferred to Berlin -  sleazy, poverty, left political plots, just anything goes.
The tv drama is epic, episode 2 the nightclub scene was just perfectly choreographed extravagant music theatre.

Loved it.  Books are pretty good too.  The music is amazing ... listened through the closing credits to the end, every week.  Bryan Ferry did all the music, I think. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gallsman

Season 2 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is out on Amazon Prime. The first season was brilliant and the few episodes I've seen of S2 are great too.

spuds

Quote from: laoislad on November 17, 2018, 03:51:52 PM
Quote from: spuds on November 17, 2018, 01:41:17 PM
In line with discussion about well received series that you have certain level of expectation from, have just finished first series of Prison Break and was a real struggle to complete. Poor acting, far fetched, thinly written and very few credible characters even. Unlikely to continue but interested if others think it improves or is it "not for me"!
First 2 seasons of Prison Break were excellent imo. Got bit silly then but I still watched it. The new season that came out last year was brutal.
Completed season 2, lot better than season 1 but it requires you to be a bit brain dead and just accept it for what it is. Think will stop with it at this stage.

Next!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 07, 2018, 09:41:37 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2018, 12:42:22 AM

Loved it.  Books are pretty good too.  The music is amazing ... listened through the closing credits to the end, every week.  Bryan Ferry did all the music, I think.
If you look hard enough, probably at some stage you'll be be able to spot Bernie Gunther in the background sucking on a coffin nail.

gerrykeegan

The Christmas Chronicals on Netflix great for a family film.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Owen Brannigan

Just watched some series on Walter Presents both French.  Worth considering if you enjoy the Saturday night shows on BBC4.