Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: JimStynes on September 24, 2017, 05:28:58 PM
Frampton signing with Frank Warren?? What's he at!

said this a while ago, but frampton is done!

frank warren ffs

on the downward curve big time

Syferus

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on September 24, 2017, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on September 24, 2017, 05:28:58 PM
Frampton signing with Frank Warren?? What's he at!

said this a while ago, but frampton is done!

frank warren ffs

on the downward curve big time

Frampton will be fighting for a world title again with a pet turtle managing him.

the goal was on

Watching the build up to Saunders fight last week and warren and BT brought very little to the table in terms of promotion. Miles behind sky and Hearn in promoting and showcasing there fighters. Surelysigning With Hearn was no brained if he really wanted the Windsor fight. He will have one chance next summer for it and no guarantee warren can deliver that. Eubanks Saunders Flanagan careers go nowhere fast under him and it's a constant trend

JimStynes

What happened all the talk of America? New trainer isn't a big name and then signing with that tube Frank Warren. Hopefully he can still get a couple of big fights but doesn't fill you with confidence.

nrico2006

Another sham of a scorecard at the weekend in the Parker Fury fight.  Boxing is having a rough time of it at the minute.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 26, 2017, 02:49:37 PM
Another sham of a scorecard at the weekend in the Parker Fury fight.  Boxing is having a rough time of it at the minute.
At the minute??

Been the same for years and years. Cards where all or almost all the winners are known in advance and judges that are corrupt or incompetent. Lads getting shots at "world titles" because of politics and regardless of their record!

It's a complete sham with a few good fights a year thrown in

I really would urge any fan who hasn't already to give UFC a go. There was a card from Tokyo this weekend that was mediocre enough by UFC standards. But still far more exciting than 95% of boxing cards

nrico2006

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2017, 07:27:05 AM
At the minute??

Been the same for years and years. Cards where all or almost all the winners are known in advance and judges that are corrupt or incompetent. Lads getting shots at "world titles" because of politics and regardless of their record!

I really would urge any fan who hasn't already to give UFC a go. There was a card from Tokyo this weekend that was mediocre enough by UFC standards. But still far more exciting than 95% of boxing cards

True enough, only recently that it seems that someone can go to Germany and beat the 'home' fighter without having to knock him out.

UFC is good, some exciting fights but also some borefests too.  In saying that, you are more likely to see a good fight in UFC than you are in boxing and its more exciting due to the smaller gloves too.  UFC had the right idea with the one belt per division but they have already started to dilute that with the introduction of interim belts and they are making a mockery of their rankign systems too with title fights involving fighters who are 'popular' and will help generate a big event/fight as opposed to giving the title shot to the fighter with the highest ranking.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 27, 2017, 08:00:43 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2017, 07:27:05 AM
At the minute??

True enough, only recently that it seems that someone can go to Germany and beat the 'home' fighter without having to knock him out.

UFC is good, some exciting fights but also some borefests too.  In saying that, you are more likely to see a good fight in UFC than you are in boxing and its more exciting due to the smaller gloves too.  UFC had the right idea with the one belt per division but they have already started to dilute that with the introduction of interim belts and they are making a mockery of their rankign systems too with title fights involving fighters who are 'popular' and will help generate a big event/fight as opposed to giving the title shot to the fighter with the highest ranking.
With so few titles, when a champion is injured (or "away" like McGregor) for an extended period of time, I don't think there's too much wrong with an interim title. So long as they don't extend it, which of course is a risk.

The match making though is hard to argue against. Very difficult to avoid a dangerous opponent, there's no easy ride up the rankings and it's rare enough that a contender outside the Top 3 gets a shot, and I've never seen a shot been given to a guy with no chance, as happens all too often in boxing (other than lads fighting DJ maybe, but they are still the best available!)

Bisping seems to be doing his best to start down the wrong kind of road, but him and Henderson had the obvious history and GSP is a returning legend. So I think they're all forgiveable, if not exactly ideal. And at the end of the day Box Office fights are what people want. You'll hardly ever get the upcoming star against useless journeyman likes happens in fight after fight in boxing.

BennyHarp

I believe Conrad Cummings has left Cyclone and Shane as trainer too. I wonder what's happening there?
That was never a square ball!!

lurganblue

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 27, 2017, 05:55:32 PM
I believe Conrad Cummings has left Cyclone and Shane as trainer too. I wonder what's happening there?

Putting 2 and 2 together here and probably getting 10, but it looks like the irish lads know the craic that has happened to Frampton and feel it best to move on themselves.  Josh Taylor seemed quite close to these lads so he might be next.

Wildweasel74

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Frampton, Conlon and Barnes (emmm and Katie Taylor) all look a similar size.

Are they all in different weight categories?

Will they never bax?

If they did, who would win?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Conlan and Frampton could but Barnes is lighter than those 2 again.

nrico2006

Conlon doesn't seem sure of where his future is at weightwise.