The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Another good result yesterday, left it a bit edgy as the game wore on though. Wouldn't have imagined us being in the hunt for 7th after that awful start to the season, and still being hovering around the relegation places at Christmas, but it's been a fair turnaround. Difficult run-in though - United and Liverpool (away on last day) to come, with Everton away too. WBA should be a win, and Man City at home would appear winnable too. Might just miss out on 7th, though West Ham's run-in isn't too simple, indeed Fulham could sneak it yet. And it seems that would suit Harry just fine.

And was anyone sorry to see Berbatov's woeful effort at a penalty saved yesterday? At least he avoided doing that when it was needed last season. That £30m doesn't seem to be bad business now.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Owenmoresider on April 20, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
Another good result yesterday, left it a bit edgy as the game wore on though. Wouldn't have imagined us being in the hunt for 7th after that awful start to the season, and still being hovering around the relegation places at Christmas, but it's been a fair turnaround. Difficult run-in though - United and Liverpool (away on last day) to come, with Everton away too. WBA should be a win, and Man City at home would appear winnable too. Might just miss out on 7th, though West Ham's run-in isn't too simple, indeed Fulham could sneak it yet. And it seems that would suit Harry just fine.

And was anyone sorry to see Berbatov's woeful effort at a penalty saved yesterday? At least he avoided doing that when it was needed last season. That £30m doesn't seem to be bad business now.

What makes you think harry wouldn't care OMS? Just his attitude this year? I'd assume that so long as Spurs aren't fighting relegation (hugely unlikely) that he'd take the Europa League seriously.

Be interesting to see how Spurs spend in the summer. Should be up thee with Villa and Everton (with City to join them soon) but awful starts have hampered them for the last 2 years.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Owenmoresider

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 21, 2009, 12:04:02 AM
What makes you think harry wouldn't care OMS? Just his attitude this year? I'd assume that so long as Spurs aren't fighting relegation (hugely unlikely) that he'd take the Europa League seriously.

Be interesting to see how Spurs spend in the summer. Should be up thee with Villa and Everton (with City to join them soon) but awful starts have hampered them for the last 2 years.
This would make me suspect that may be the case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/5187130/Tottenhams-Harry-Redknapp-says-Europa-League-qualification-would-be-distracting.html

You would want to be making the last eight at a bare minimum for it to be a worthwhile venture IMO. Still we mightn't get that seventh spot yet, so it might be a irrelevant issue in time.

Fair point re the bad starts. Though three seasons ago we didn't make an encouraging start and yet ended up getting fifth. Should be around there again next season along with Villa & Everton if we can make a half-decent start. Funnily our form is the opposite of the earlier part of this decade, where we'd be well up near Christmas and inevitably fall badly after it.

nutsy--1

the mighty spurs. Going for a late european push so that next season they can put out a weakend team in europe to concentrate on the league to get back into europe, awesome. up the gooners

cavan4ever

Quote from: nutsy--1 on April 21, 2009, 08:54:37 AM
the mighty spurs. Going for a late european push so that next season they can put out a weakend team in europe to concentrate on the league to get back into europe, awesome. up the gooners

No they are trying to finish as high up the table as they can, the same as every club does. 

T Fearon

Irony is that it looks like Jol could take Hamburg to the UEFA Cup Final, something he failed to do with Spurs after much promise.

I think we need to get back  next year to focus on challenging the top four in the league, for a Champions League place. After all we would be doing it this year but for the disastrous first couple of months

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: T Fearon on April 21, 2009, 11:15:07 AM
Irony is that it looks like Jol could take Hamburg to the UEFA Cup Final, something he failed to do with Spurs after much promise.

I think we need to get back  next year to focus on challenging the top four in the league, for a Champions League place. After all we would be doing it this year but for the disastrous first couple of months

Seems to be the start that is key for spurs. Is it the last 2 seasons that they have been in the bottom 3 in October/November? If they start well i think they will be in the top 6 next season

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on April 21, 2009, 11:15:07 AM

Not really ironic, he seems to have a better team with Hamburg.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Owenmoresider

Quote from: nutsy--1 on April 21, 2009, 08:54:37 AM
In fairness, there was a weakened team put out as the Carling Cup final was on the following Sunday, and Harry opted to put that first, as it was winning a trophy, and indeed securing a European spot with it. Didn't happen as we know well. You might understand that though, looking to win a trophy, given that the awesome Gooners haven't managed to win any for the past few seasons. And congratulations on finishing bottom of the 'big four' contest once again.

Minder

Jermain Defoes brother on life support machine after getting attacked in broad daylght today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Old Bill

Quote from: Minder on April 24, 2009, 09:38:14 PM
Jermain Defoes brother on life support machine after getting attacked in broad daylght today.
f**k sake. god bless him. hope we can keep our good record against the 'big 4' tomorrow

T Fearon

Symapthy to Jermaine Defoe.

How many times are we going to be robbed at Lego Land? Mendes "goal" in 2005 and that ridiculous penalty last Saturday (which should have strengthened our resolve not cause us to fall apart, though the lads were probably thinking whats the point?)

Should we just not bothe rgoing to Old Trafford and forfeit the points...as we are never goung to be allowed to win them anyway?

full back

Catch a f**king grip of yourself Tony
The spuds had a good first half, but would never have held on for the win, even without the penalty
No belief in that team

Norf Tyrone

A bad week in the true context for Spurs players. Defoe and Polacios' brothers both murdered!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone