Dogs

Started by pearses, October 25, 2007, 05:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 24, 2017, 12:52:48 AM
What age are the kids?  If you go for a pup it's worse than having a new kid. There's the hassle of toilet training, preparing secure space for him in the garden, cleaning up the poo outside, deciding where in the house he can have access to, getting up early in the morning to let him out etc.  There are also costs involved, neutering ( a must ) kennelling, grooming, etc. As regards food, go for the nuts and remember the better the food, the less cleaning up you'll have. We had a cocker and they are class, great fun but completely mad and need lots of exercise. We have a Bichon now got him when he was 15 months and still a handful. Finally Bitch is better than a dog. I know I've had cross words with you in the past, can't even remember what it was over to be honest, and nor do I care.  Good luck with the dog, whatever you decide.

I know I'll be left to do the walks cleaning and training !! Kids are 13 and 16 both girls which I hope will help! The sister in law has a Bicon she's on her second now, lovely dog...

At least I'll have someone who'll greet me when I get home from work!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2017, 01:02:37 PM
What age are the kids?  If you go for a pup it's worse than having a new kid. There's the hassle of toilet training, preparing secure space for him in the garden, cleaning up the poo outside, deciding where in the house he can have access to, getting up early in the morning to let him out etc.  There are also costs involved, neutering ( a must ) kennelling, grooming, etc. As regards food, go for the nuts and remember the better the food, the less cleaning up you'll have. We had a cocker and they are class, great fun but completely mad and need lots of exercise. We have a Bichon now got him when he was 15 months and still a handful. Finally Bitch is better than a dog. I know I've had cross words with you in the past, can't even remember what it was over to be honest, and nor do I care.  Good luck with the dog, whatever you decide.

I know I'll be left to do the walks cleaning and training !! Kids are 13 and 16 both girls which I hope will help! The sister in law has a Bicon she's on her second now, lovely dog...

Ive a bichon. Got it and was promised by the daughter that she would help out as well... yeah that happened  ::)

Great dog though in fairness. great with the younger kids. sleeps a lot

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on May 24, 2017, 02:10:22 PM

Ive a bichon. Got it and was promised by the daughter that she would help out as well... yeah that happened  ::)

You get it locally lurganblue? the main thing is wife is allergic to the dog hair so Bicon's Cockapoo's and the like are the best for that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5 Sams

I love dogs....great companions and gets you out walking and exercising!! Labradors are very smart and easily trained....and they are great fun to have around you.

Down side is they eat everything when they are pups and shed LOADS of hair....you also get very attached to them and its a real kick in the balls when you lose one. Found my oldest dog under a tree in the garden this time last year. 14 years he lasted so it wasnt a bad innings for a Lab.
The Aristocrat Years

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2017, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 24, 2017, 02:10:22 PM

You get it locally lurganblue? the main thing is wife is allergic to the dog hair so Bicon's Cockapoo's and the like are the best for that

Got it in Belfast from a friend of a friend. 4 year old but the family couldnt look after her anymore.  We got lucky really as all of the hard work house training had been done.  Aye, there is very little shedding with the Bichon but that does mean you have to fork out regularly for the grooming but sure.

The Iceman

Quote from: Thastheball on May 24, 2017, 03:11:01 PM
The problem with those dogs is the hair lost. terriers like the welsh, Airedale, wire fox, Lakeland etc do not cast hair and therefore there is little odour left in the house as the dogs hair is not falling off into the house. father had terriers and as result I have had them since the kids were born. Like all dogs never leave with a child unsupervised regardless of how well you think you know them. Did you know that a child's crying is like the squeal of an animal that is being killed and can actually increase the pack mentality in a dog, sometimes contributing to it attacking, regardless of how tame it has been in the past.

It still amazes me how little research people put into dogs before getting one. What amazes more is that they treat the dog like a person and whats worst they teach no rules nor boundaries to the dog, basically fecking the dog up, and when the dog is running amuck blame the dog as uncontrollable. I remember a work colleague who has a bull dog, strong brute, she complained of it dragging her everywhere when she walked it, pulling the arms off her. I asked her to bring the dog in and within ten minutes on the correct lead and tone of voice and correct correctional touches I had it walking on a loose lead tight bedside my leg, with me in control with a slight touch of the lead. Showed her how to do it and then practised it with her. Three weeks later she has lost control. Ah but it was the dogs fault.
I thought the airedale was notorious for shedding  - not one of the worst? maybe i'm confused about them aye
From dogtime.com:
QuoteThe Airedale Terrier is not known for extreme shedding, but he does shed certain times of the year. Regular brushing keeps the coat in good condition (once or twice a week), and periodic bathing as needed (over-bathing is not recommended, as this softens the coarse terrier coat).
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

JimStynes

Joined the dog owner club and got myself and the wife a wee boxer pup. The whole show just loves him. Any training tips and advice would be appreciated.

Boycey

Train him now or you will regret forever.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: JimStynes on July 24, 2018, 04:28:43 PM
Joined the dog owner club and got myself and the wife a wee boxer pup. The whole show just loves him. Any training tips and advice would be appreciated.

Keep the sessions short and fun.  Treats immediately for any progress towards what you want him to do.  The sit command is easy, and is the basis for a lot of other commands.  Just hold a treat over his head, about where his ears are, and he'll maneuver into a sitting position to try to get it. 

There's lots of books.  This one is pretty good:  https://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532449860&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+tricks+101&dpID=51PrGJbxGpL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

JoG2

Get him / her insured! A great addition to a family, couldn't imagine the house without ours tbh

Milltown Row2

Good for you! The most loveable things! Was surprised how quickly I was smitten! As said already do the training quickly.. short lead for walks, dog proofing the house is difficult so expect chewed up things till they get past their teething!

Best for me is the good solid walks, clears the head and they'll be less active in the house!

Gael85

Fair play. I've a boxer staff. There a very loyal dog.We brought our dog to DSPCA for dog training.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2018, 06:16:19 PM

Good for you! The most loveable things! Was surprised how quickly I was smitten! As said already do the training quickly.. short lead for walks, dog proofing the house is difficult so expect chewed up things till they get past their teething!

Best for me is the good solid walks, clears the head and they'll be less active in the house!
Dogs should be kept outside imo. Never understood the attraction of a house dog.

redzone

Get him neutrared. That is definitely one thing you need to do

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 24, 2018, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2018, 06:16:19 PM

Dogs should be kept outside imo. Never understood the attraction of a house dog.

Temperatures were below zero a few times this year but you'd be happy to keep them outside? Sure next time it's cold you sleep outside!

Dogs are pets, I remember my old dog when I was young and my dad had the same idea, I've a different view now, being in the house is fine, unless you're one of those house proud people