Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Been skiing a pile of times, but going next week for the first time with the kids.  Any advice or simple pointers I may have overlooked welcome, as I imagine it will be a pretty hectic holiday with kids?  They are 2, 4 and 9, so only ski school for the oldest 2.  Cheers.

haranguerer

Heading for Morzine (our chalet is in Montriond) in January. Just starting to do a bit of research - the area seems so massive as to be overwhelming though. Any recommendations for any runs/bars/anything else that we should ensure we see or do in particular? Most of group will be skiing (and a few beginners in that who'll be in lessons for most of the week), but a couple of us will probably board, and we're decent enough - will def be looking out for boarder cross tracks.

Rois

Quote from: haranguerer on December 05, 2018, 09:13:08 AM
Heading for Morzine (our chalet is in Montriond) in January. Just starting to do a bit of research - the area seems so massive as to be overwhelming though. Any recommendations for any runs/bars/anything else that we should ensure we see or do in particular? Most of group will be skiing (and a few beginners in that who'll be in lessons for most of the week), but a couple of us will probably board, and we're decent enough - will def be looking out for boarder cross tracks.
Which chalet did you go for? You'll be closest to buses up to Ardent that links well to Avoriaz and good access to the Swiss sectors. My fav run in that area starts at a collection of lifts called Plain Dranse and is a wide red run down to the lift at the bottom. I have plenty of tips on the Morzine/Les Gets side that I can send on.
Not much entertainment in Montriond but there is a little bar-tabac that is run by a girl from Omagh! I've had a few good seshes in there.

haranguerer

https://www.mountainutopia.co.uk/chalet-azalee

Thats it there. They'll drop us to lifts in either Morzine or Avoriaz each morning. Send on surely Rois, that'd be great. I don't think the week will be that raucous, so that bar-tabac sounds like it could be a good option - despite the tyrone connection  :P

Rois

Oh yes - you may have mentioned that one. I stayed in a chalet run by the Mountains utopia people in Chamonix and it was great, though they wrangled "hot tub cleaning" money out of us - was deffo a racket.
The pub is called lamarmottedor.com and it is good for showing soccer and rugby, and also showed the AIF. Follow them on FB to see when they have music running. There's a good après bar at the bottom of the Ardent lift called Happy Hours and they run buses back into Montriond and Morzine a few days a week but am sure the chalet guys would pick you up.

There is what I understand to be a good board park in the runs above the Ardent Lift called The Stash. Never been in.

haranguerer

Cheers Rois, will look out for all that. Is the ardent lift somewhere other than Morzine/Montriond then? What are the lift queues like, and are there any which should be avoided?