Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Im looking for recommendations for places to go skiing. It would be a young group going so nightlife would be important, im organising it though, and the most important thing for me are good slopes and guaranteed snow. One lad I was talking to said he heard Bulgaria was excellent. I went to Lilliehammer in Norway with the school years ago which had great slopes but was too expensive. Any recommendations?

Drumanee 1

sol or kitzbul in austria,great sking,great apre ski

ExiledGael

Was in bulgaria earlier this year, the start of February, and while it was excellent I'm not sure I'd go back there. For a ski resort the place was seriously short on snow, a few of the days we weren't even allowed near the slopes. Not once was the entire range open, some slopes closed all week. Nightlife was decent enough but I've heard much better reports from Andorra, and Arinsal in particular. Bulgaria is obviously the cheaper option though, drink is also dirt cheap when you get there

aontroim

Most Austrian resorts for good snow and great apres ski - hasnt come close in any of the other countries. Have heard great things about livigno though - cheap food/drink and good slopes.

Rois

I love these threads, starting to think about mine now.

For cheap food, drink etc hard to beat Livigno.  Great craic there, full of Irish people. 

France is expensive no matter where you are, I went to Val d'Isere and it was absolutely brilliant but dear.  Heading to Chamonix in Jan but trying to do it on the cheap - not sure how that will work out.

Andorra is a bit of a shit hole but it would do if you weren't too bothered about how the resort looked or the quallity of the pistes.  Didn't find Arinsal nightlife too hot - def preferred Livigno for that.

Heard great things about St Anton in Austria so going to look into going there in Feb/March. 

lfdown2

headin til andorra's pas de la casa next sunday, cant wait, 1st proper skiing experience (went in southern california not the same!)

any of ye's isited here before?

tips etc...?

Puckoon

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 13, 2008, 01:58:27 PM
headin til andorra's pas de la casa next sunday, cant wait, 1st proper skiing experience (went in southern california not the same!)

any of ye's isited here before?

tips etc...?

Southern California? - You must mean on a fake slope?

lfdown2

big bear, not fake though did have fake snow as poor season last year!

Puckoon

I did not know that, I must be sleeping every time I drive that way.

Leg End

Quote from: Rois on September 05, 2007, 06:36:55 PM
I love these threads, starting to think about mine now.

For cheap food, drink etc hard to beat Livigno.  Great craic there, full of Irish people. 

France is expensive no matter where you are, I went to Val d'Isere and it was absolutely brilliant but dear.  Heading to Chamonix in Jan but trying to do it on the cheap - not sure how that will work out.

Andorra is a bit of a shit hole but it would do if you weren't too bothered about how the resort looked or the quallity of the pistes.  Didn't find Arinsal nightlife too hot - def preferred Livigno for that.

Heard great things about St Anton in Austria so going to look into going there in Feb/March. 

I'm heading to chamonix in feb.. let me know how u get on and what it is like.. loads of details please... i cant wait
we're here for a good time, not a long time

Tyrones own

South lake Tahoe is beautiful and great for the skiing this time of year i believe ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mhic Easmuint

Bulgaria wouldn't always be snow sure. There was very littel there last year. 
Livigno is pretty snow sure as it is high up and is also a duty free resort so it is very cheap when there.  Good night life etc in it also, was there last year and heading back ont he 26th January with a group of 29.

Rois

Quote from: Leg End on January 13, 2008, 05:08:33 PM

I'm heading to chamonix in feb.. let me know how u get on and what it is like.. loads of details please... i cant wait

Came back last Tues there, spent five good nights in Cham.  It is prob the nicest resort I've been in, better than Val d'Isere even.  The skiing area is amazing with plenty for everyone - the problem was that it was really foggy on day 3 of my holiday so we had to come off the mountain early - it was just no fun skiing when you couldn't see more than four feet in front of you.  The weather on day 4 was worse so didn't get on the slopes at all but that was more a function of the lack of enthusiasm of my travelling companions. 
However, the resort more than made up for it.  The apres ski was great craic and there's plenty to see around the place.  The transfer from Geneva makes it a fantastic place to have a short ski break.  I'll def be back, this year again if possible. 

Have a number of good nightlife recommendations if you're interested though we went at probably the quietest time of the year, just after new year.

Over the Bar

If your group are beginners to intermediate you'll find Pas de La Casa or Livigno ideal wityh -plenty of night-life and both are tax free so a good bit cheaper than Austria or France.   

Our group now go to Chamonix each year flying to Geneva then hiring 2 cars and booking our own chalets.  Works out much cheaper.   

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 13, 2008, 07:29:38 PM
Our group now go to Chamonix each year flying to Geneva then hiring 2 cars and booking our own chalets.  Works out much cheaper.   

Are you doing a week or a few days? I might be interested i something like this towards March/April.
Rough idea of cost?