FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 07:32:22 PM
It's hard to see MON and TOD getting back together.

https://youtu.be/zuuObGsB0No

Tbig are the national mojo. MON has won 2 European cups. TOD wants to channel the mojo. It is very messy.

You're a strange cat seafoid.
It's a circus. The way "real fans" copyright E Dunphy talk about the team it is almost a sacred thing.
And they are best mediocre. You can't make a silk purse out of Aidan McGeady.
Why does O Donoghue have to make a big deal out of interviewing the manager ?
Why doesn't the energy and the passion go into changing things ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

I agree with seafoid. O'Donoghue asked for that.....I notice none of ye mentioned his mealy mouthed "hard luck" that O'Neill referred to before he went for him after the Denmark game. Interviews like that are pointless anyway.....ye have Eamon Dunphy to tell ye everything anyway.

There needs to be a reality check. We have a limited but very committed group of players. Martin O'Neill is managing the team the same way he managed every team that he has managed. High workrate, honest, not pleasing on the eye and overly conservative. What do people expect. We were third seeds in our group and finished 2nd. In the Euros we beat Italy and scared the bejaysus out of France. I'm not sure exactly what more that he's supposed to have done. And his point about clubs in England being interested in him is a valid one. Surely they wouldn't be interested if he was doing a crap job? Or maybe they haven't a clue in comparison to the well educated Irish soccer masses and king Eamo.

Syferus

In fairness when you see the turkeys most of them hire King Eamo might be closer to right than they are.

macdanger2

MON shouldn't have carried any acrimony from previous interviews into today, made himself look very petty imo. As they said on OTB, he should realise that he's not just speaking to TOD in these interviews

Itchy

Thought O Neill came across as a whinging baby today. He'd want to toughen up, with the money he is paid the public have the right to ask him question through TOD.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:42:50 PM
MON shouldn't have carried any acrimony from previous interviews into today, made himself look very petty imo. As they said on OTB, he should realise that he's not just speaking to TOD in these interviews

He knows well and couldn't give a flying fûck what the Irish public think. The open courting of Stoke tells you that much.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2018, 10:18:12 PM
I agree with seafoid. O'Donoghue asked for that.....I notice none of ye mentioned his mealy mouthed "hard luck" that O'Neill referred to before he went for him after the Denmark game. Interviews like that are pointless anyway.....ye have Eamon Dunphy to tell ye everything anyway.

There needs to be a reality check. We have a limited but very committed group of players. Martin O'Neill is managing the team the same way he managed every team that he has managed. High workrate, honest, not pleasing on the eye and overly conservative. What do people expect. We were third seeds in our group and finished 2nd. In the Euros we beat Italy and scared the bejaysus out of France. I'm not sure exactly what more that he's supposed to have done. And his point about clubs in England being interested in him is a valid one. Surely they wouldn't be interested if he was doing a crap job? Or maybe they haven't a clue in comparison to the well educated Irish soccer masses and king Eamo.
Seanie, what O'Donoghue did after the Denmark game was wrong. I couldn't give a damn what Eamon Dunphy says. I use my own two eyes and it's insulting to be told that Dunphy "tells ye everything anyway".

I have my opinion about O'Neill's style of play, what our expectations are/should be and all the rest. I base it on how I rate the players from watching them playing in England and not how someone else rates them.

O'Neill doesn't like to be questioned. Every post-game interview O'Donoghue does he seems to be walking on egg shells around the manager in case he upsets him. It's pathetic and very, very boring at this stage. The post-game analysis is also boring because the performances are the same tired old way of playing ball.

I'll probably stop watching them (before someone tells me I should), but can we debate the game rather than telling us why we have opinions when you couldn't possibly know.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on January 24, 2018, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 10:42:50 PM

He knows well and couldn't give a flying fûck what the Irish public think. The open courting of Stoke tells you that much.

Why needlessly antagonise the sporting public though? If a couple of results go badly and he's already created a negative atmosphere via his interviews, it won't be long turning toxic

magpie seanie

Why needlessly antagonise the manager? He's not interested in getting answers....it's purely for ratings. It's was the same with the previous manager....the interviews got very uncomfortable. It's RTE's editorial style when it comes to sport.....appeal the the guy on the barstool.

macdanger2

I didn't think the questions today were antagonistic, they seemed pretty reasonable questions about him interviewing for other jobs

magpie seanie

The questions are usually inane, repetitive and meaningless. Even today he repeated himself. After the Wales game O'Neill paid a big tribute to McClean and a few minutes later TOD ask him....tell us about this guy beside you (McClean)....pure idiocy.

Billys Boots

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 24, 2018, 11:06:27 PM
I didn't think the questions today were antagonistic, they seemed pretty reasonable questions about him interviewing for other jobs

Hang on, RTE reported last week that it was a contract clause that he was allowed talk to Premier League clubs about potential positions.  TOD should be asking the FAI, not MON about this. 

Anyhoo, my real question is 'why does our senior international team play in a completely different way/style to all of our other international teams, and in direct opposition to the Player Development Plan (PDP) espoused as sports policy by the organisation?'  And following on from that 'why have the FAI reappointed the national senior squad manager when he has consistently played in a  different (and opposing) way to the supposed national policy, and presumably will continue to do so?'  Just asking. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

QuoteAnyhoo, my real question is 'why does our senior international team play in a completely different way/style to all of our other international teams, and in direct opposition to the Player Development Plan (PDP) espoused as sports policy by the organisation?'  And following on from that 'why have the FAI reappointed the national senior squad manager when he has consistently played in a  different (and opposing) way to the supposed national policy, and presumably will continue to do so?'  Just asking.

Agreed 100%.
Lost a lot of admiration I've had for O'Neill in the last couple of years irrespective of the style he plays. Think his recent behaviour is terrible

magpie seanie

I think he has reason to be pretty pissed off. He's not a ham and egger. He has had a very successful career as a player and a manager and I think the way he is treated and spoken about by the Irish soccer media and a lot of supporters is kind of ridiculous.

If people aren't happy with what he's doing get on to John Delaney and co. Get Tony O'Donoghue to interview him. BB's makes a good point above to be fair though I very much doubt there was any discussion of playing style or tactics in any of O'Neill's contract discussions.

There always seems to be a real unwillingness by lots of the Irish soccer public to put the blame for most of soccer's ills where it should be......at the door of the useless FAI.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 25, 2018, 01:38:20 PM
I think he has reason to be pretty pissed off. He's not a ham and egger. He has had a very successful career as a player and a manager and I think the way he is treated and spoken about by the Irish soccer media and a lot of supporters is kind of ridiculous.

If people aren't happy with what he's doing get on to John Delaney and co. Get Tony O'Donoghue to interview him. BB's makes a good point above to be fair though I very much doubt there was any discussion of playing style or tactics in any of O'Neill's contract discussions.

There always seems to be a real unwillingness by lots of the Irish soccer public to put the blame for most of soccer's ills where it should be......at the door of the useless FAI.

Not sure that's true Seanie. I think most people have little time for gormless John and his cronies. As for O'Neill, he just seems perpetually fed up having to deal with Tony O'Donoghue. I do sense that Tony sees himself as some sort of superfan, and I think it stems from the 'think of the children' moments back in Saipan.

In short, I believe the FAI are a bunch of incompetent arseholes, however they have put in place a good PDP which should be applauded.
I believe Tony O'Donoghue has an elevated sense of self, and of his place in the grand scheme of things.
I believe Martin O'Neill is an over cautious, cantankerous so and so, who hates being questioned by mere mortals.

I think I've got everybody covered there :)