Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

illdecide

The 3 month lay-off will def go in Celtic's favour there, i agree they're a decent team but are not the team they were 2-3 years ago. They're sitting in 4th place in league so thats a usually a good indication of their season. A winnable game for Celtic but a toughie too
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

I suppose their performance has dropped in the last couple of years, since they have had to lay off the drugs due to all the attentive scrutiny from the noble sportsmanly Brits.

Avondhu star

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 11, 2017, 01:26:22 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: ashman on December 11, 2017, 11:18:36 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 11, 2017, 09:06:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42292297

interesting read
Champions league is shite to be honest. As is football in general. The most powerful clubs nowadays are clubs like City and PSG who have no tradition. Players just follow the money. The romance is long gone. Clubs like Celtic are an afterthought, even though they epitomise, or should epitomise, what European football is all about.

Man City have a great tradition .  A great old club with a really good local support base .   An Irishman following a Scottish club complaining about money ruining European football .  People need to get a grip .  This is a professional globalised sport , is is showbiz . 
Yeah great tradition in Europe alright. They've always been stalwarts on the European stage ::)

Celtic get Zenit. Another tough draw

And one which we wont progress from sadly

At least they are in Europe after Christmas. It's some progress. They will need to put in a very good first leg to get through. Meanwhile south of the border it looks like they will be presenting the Premiership trophy to Manchester City at the end of December.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

illdecide

What it means to be a Celtic fan...

I AM A CELTIC FAN. I WILL NOT HIDE.
Date: 11th December 2017 at 4:11pm
Written by: David Campbell

I am 40, next year.

I have no idea what day I started being a Celtic fan/supporter because it so ingrained in my life. It's just me. Do I have a season ticket right now? No. My work commitments make it financially questionable. Now there may be some who would say "pay your money anyway" but I know Celtic and the majority of our fans would say, "No, don't do that." There are other ways to be a fan/supporter. I have had season tickets, more than once. I remember my dad talking to me about Celtic, sober..and not sober, teaching me about the club. My uncles, aunts and other friends and family all did the same. We are products of our environment. My environment was Celtic. And all those people shared with me their experiences and stories about the club. There was one characteristic of those people, of those stories; they were from a time when "being Celtic" sometimes meant not showing it. Prejudice was everywhere.

Some people think times have changed. Not that much they haven't. Still "society" tells us we shouldn't wave our flags. We shouldn't shout about who we are. A lot of people were happy with us in the back of the bus. They wish we'd stayed there. When Neil Lennon was manager of Celtic, the abuse he received verbally, digitally and physically was despicable, vile, horrendous. Many in our society said he "brought it upon himself." How? By being openly, boldly, unashamedly Celtic. And incredibly, the people who taught me about Celtic, while they felt that that it was horrible, were so set in their ways and the mindset of days gone by that some of them actually questioned Neil Lennon for being so open about Celtic and his background.

I hated this and I felt it was a symptomatic of being brought up in a time and world were being anything but a Protestant fan of the club from Ibrox was to be hidden, if you admitted you were Catholic and/or Celtic (we accept they are not mutually exclusive) then you were restricted in jobs, where you lived ... any number of doors were closed to you. This is part of the issue we have at the moment with our domestic dominance; if you take my age group as the median – 40 – on the younger side are a generations that revels in our current glory, in the success, and they are spoiled cos they haven't seen the bad days. On the other side are those who lived with every moment of them, but come from a generation where you took the good and the bad the same way; largely in silence, if you wanted to "fit in". They grew up in a country that hated us, in a culture that suffocated us, in a world that thought of us as second class. And some of them can't shake it.

The younger generation treats every defeat like a disaster. Those from the older group sometimes feel they need to find a way of criticising Celtic, and cal well remember the names they were called whenever they stood tall and spoke of their love for the club. I am all of them and neither of them. I am Celtic and I am goddamned proud of it. I will not sit at the back of the bus, but nor will I forget where we come from. The football history, the social history.

We have fought and earned everything we have.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tonto1888

That's an excellent piece, enjoyed reading it

tonto1888

Quote from: Avondhu star on December 11, 2017, 11:08:20 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 11, 2017, 01:26:22 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: ashman on December 11, 2017, 11:18:36 AM
Quote from: general_lee on December 11, 2017, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 11, 2017, 09:06:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42292297

interesting read
Champions league is shite to be honest. As is football in general. The most powerful clubs nowadays are clubs like City and PSG who have no tradition. Players just follow the money. The romance is long gone. Clubs like Celtic are an afterthought, even though they epitomise, or should epitomise, what European football is all about.

Man City have a great tradition .  A great old club with a really good local support base .   An Irishman following a Scottish club complaining about money ruining European football .  People need to get a grip .  This is a professional globalised sport , is is showbiz . 
Yeah great tradition in Europe alright. They've always been stalwarts on the European stage ::)

Celtic get Zenit. Another tough draw

And one which we wont progress from sadly

At least they are in Europe after Christmas. It's some progress. They will need to put in a very good first leg to get through. Meanwhile south of the border it looks like they will be presenting the Premiership trophy to Manchester City at the end of December.

this is true and theres quite a bit of time between now and the game so who nows what shape we will be in

Aaron Boone

Celtic 3-0 down to Hearts. Not playing well the last month.

MoChara

Quote from: Aaron Boone on December 17, 2017, 01:51:18 PM
Celtic 3-0 down to Hearts. Not playing well the last month.

We've been limping along this past while domestically if it wasn't hearts it would've been someone else, and at least it wasn't rangers

longballin

Bit of a tanking but had to end some time.

Cunny Funt

At least it wasn't Rangers to end the unbeaten record.

From the Bunker

4-0 now  :o !

What were the odds on that?

MoChara

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 02:05:25 PM
4-0 now  :o !

What were the odds on that?

ask Tony he'll have seen that he writing on the wall and put a few quid on it lol

From the Bunker

Suppose the record had to go! At least not against Rangers or in a Cup final!

They look at little stale the last month or so.

SHEEDY

Bet a mate of mine £20 during the week that celtic would lose a league game before man city. Didnt expect to win that bet so easily or so soon. Celtic very poor today.
nil satis nisi optimum

T Fearon

It has been coming.Lafferty on the scoresheet too,hard to swallow.Brendan  can be thankful he's not Tony Mowbray who lost his job after a heavy defeat like that.