Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on April 02, 2010, 12:08:40 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 02, 2010, 11:58:42 AM
I'm using excell to put all the lads numbers and email address into but when i put 0 (zero) in for their mob number in deletes the 0 why is this

Format the cells as text

Cheers...didn't wanna ask anyone in the office incase they asked me what was i doing cause it's certainly not what i'm paid to do...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: Maiden1 on April 02, 2010, 10:45:03 AM
I think you can use the INDIRECT function in excel

So if you wanted the contents of Sheeta!A1 you could use

=INDIRECT("Sheeta!A1")

Or in your case you would want

=INDIRECT(B2&"!A1")

Beautiful.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RMDrive

Quote from: illdecide on April 02, 2010, 12:10:56 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on April 02, 2010, 12:08:40 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 02, 2010, 11:58:42 AM
I'm using excell to put all the lads numbers and email address into but when i put 0 (zero) in for their mob number in deletes the 0 why is this

Format the cells as text

Cheers...didn't wanna ask anyone in the office incase they asked me what was i doing cause it's certainly not what i'm paid to do...lol

Or just put an apostrophe before the 0 when you are typing
'0871234567

Shortso79

Two Questions for you :

Has anyone used a Gantt Chart before ? Any advice ?

Also how do you get a minus figure say -10 to look like (10) - I have tried formatting the cells but with no luck

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Shortso79 on April 14, 2010, 08:03:24 PM

Also how do you get a minus figure say -10 to look like (10) - I have tried formatting the cells but with no luck

Format Cells, then choose Custom in the number menu and type this into the "Type:" box:
#,##0;(#,##0)

Shortso79

flantheman82

Hi, need help.
From a machine i use in work, i can retrieve data in an excel file.
Its a pulse oximeter/CO2 monitor and when these probes fall off the patient, it doesn't record. However on the excel spreadsheet it records it as -?-
There would maybe be a few hundred of these in a spreadsheet containing thousands of values and when i go to plot the results on a graph these tend to be plotted as 0.
However when i remove them and leave the cell blank i get the required graph.
Is there any way i can, using an excel function, replace all the -?- with a blank cell in one go?
It can be quite tedious doing it manually.

Billys Boots

Use the 'replace all' function in the Edit menu.  Select the column/row, then hit edit/replace and put "-?-" in the text box and leave the replacement text box empty.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

flantheman82

Brilliant. Thanks,
One more thing. These studies take place from when someone goes asleep until they awake in the morning again. When i plot these on the graph it sends the data before midnight to the end of the graph and the data after midnight to the start of the graph.
Is there any way of merging the date and time so that my data will be plotted on the 'x' in the correct order?

Orior

Change the format of the date field to a number?

Highlight the column, Right Mouse, Format Cells, on the Number tab, select Number
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Billys Boots

If you change the format of the 'time' cells to 'time and date' then they should line up sequentially on the x-0axis too, I think.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Maiden1

If you select all the data then click on Data>Sort then choose by date asc then sort by time asc the graph should resort correctly I think.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 23, 2010, 01:43:33 PM
Use the 'replace all' function in the Edit menu.  Select the column/row, then hit edit/replace and put "-?-" in the text box and leave the replacement text box empty.

You might want to put a tilde (~) before the question mark to stop it being treated as a wildcard character.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

gallsman

In a 100% Stacked Column Chart, if I have four columns and each column represents a country, how do I get the country's name to appear underneath the column on the x-axis?

gallsman

Don't worry, got it sorted.