Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

i have a column of positive numbers (about 400) and i want to make them all negitive. if anyone knows how to do that thanks

Caid

1) Insert a blank column beside it
2) If A2 has the first positive number then in B2 enter =(A2*-1)
3) Copy the formula down the entire 400 rows
4) Copy and paste special column b to hard code the data
5) Delete the positive numbers column (A) if you don't want/need it
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

playwiththewind1st

Dame Julie Andrews will assist  - "let's start @ the very beginning, a very good place to start"

Treasurer

Quote from: Caid on October 09, 2009, 02:55:14 PM

If column A is already referred to in a formula anywhere, copy column B and paste special (formula as values) back into column A

Caid

Quote from: Treasurer on October 09, 2009, 03:10:11 PM

If column A is already referred to in a formula anywhere, copy column B and paste special (formula as values) back into column A

That's a fair point.  You also just enter the value -1 in a random cell somewhere.  Copy the cell and over your 400 data items click paste special and multiply (under the operation part of the past special dialog box).  This will multiply all the positives by -1
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Treasurer

Quote from: Caid on October 09, 2009, 03:12:58 PM
Quote from: Treasurer on October 09, 2009, 03:10:11 PM

That's a fair point.  You also just enter the value -1 in a random cell somewhere.  Copy the cell and over your 400 data items click paste special and multiply (under the operation part of the past special dialog box).  This will multiply all the positives by -1

Oh! Never used that before. 

magickingdom

anyone know how to keep a column in view if your using a lot of columns. eg keep columb a in view while your working on column az? i knew how to do it in my old version of excel but not this  one. . thanks

Square Ball

Quote from: magickingdom on December 14, 2009, 05:34:24 PM
anyone know how to keep a column in view if your using a lot of columns. eg keep columb a in view while your working on column az? i knew how to do it in my old version of excel but not this  one. . thanks
go to view, freeze pane, then freeze first pane
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

magickingdom

thanks sb, in my version freeze pane is under window but worked a treat

Square Ball

Guys

doing a spreadsheet and i need to input phone numbers, it keeps missing out the ) at the start, not really a big issue but its annoying me... any answers?

ziggysego

What you mean the )? You mean like (028) 71XX XXXX?
Testing Accessibility

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Square Ball on January 26, 2010, 07:40:28 PM
Guys

doing a spreadsheet and i need to input phone numbers, it keeps missing out the ) at the start, not really a big issue but its annoying me... any answers?

Format the cell as text?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 26, 2010, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on January 26, 2010, 07:40:28 PM
Guys

Format the cell as text?

Yeh, Thats what you do. Right click on cell, select format and select text from the list.

RMDrive

I'd say he means that it's missing out the first zero (shift key held down while pressing 0). This can be solved by putting a ' before the number i.e. '012345
The ' basically tells excel to show what you type and not to mess with it.

Square Ball

Thanks, yeah I was trying to put mobile numbers in and it wouldnt accept the 0 in the 077, so I just formatted as text, ta