The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I think the IRFU need to cop the f**k on and extend the trial to Ireland, at least for kids. Just like most other countries apparently, including the old farts in the RFU! And I think that Cill Dara are hiding behind this rule because they don't like Portarlington. Or maybe Cill Dara are the custodians of fair play in underage rugby, and all other clubs are heathens :)

ludermor

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2016, 01:11:28 PM
Ireland U20 squad named. 14 Leinster, 6 Munster, 4 Connacht and 4 Ulster.

Glad to see the number rising in Munster but a little disappointing from an Ulster point of view - still too reliant on Leinster.

Ireland U20 Six Nations squad - Forwards: James Bollard (Dublin University/Leinster), Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster), Peter Claffey (Galwegians/Leinster), Will Connors (UCD / Leinster), Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Shane Fenton (Young Munster/Munster), John Foley (Shannon/Shannon), Cillian Gallagher (Sligo RFC/Connacht), Greg Jones (UCD/Leinster), Conor Kenny (Buccaneers/Connacht), Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster), Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster), Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/Connacht), Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster), James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dan Walsh (Cork Con/Munster)

Backs: Matthew Byrne (Terenure/Leinster), Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons/Exlies), Shane Daly (Cork Con/Munster), Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster), Terry Kennedy (St Mary's/Leinster), Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht), Paul Kiernan (UCC/Leinster), Robert Lyttle (Queen's University/Ulster), Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster), Conor O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster), Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster), John Poland (Cork Con/Munster), Jack Power (UCD/Leinster), Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Is that correct?

Walter Cronc

Havent really been reading through the convo here but surely if they are deemed ok for the GAA then theres no reason why the IRFU can ban them??

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ludermor on January 25, 2016, 03:10:40 PM

Glad to see the number rising in Munster but a little disappointing from an Ulster point of view - still too reliant on Leinster.

Ireland U20 Six Nations squad - Forwards: James Bollard (Dublin University/Leinster), Kelvin Brown (Shannon/Munster), Peter Claffey (Galwegians/Leinster), Will Connors (UCD / Leinster), Max Deegan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Shane Fenton (Young Munster/Munster), John Foley (Shannon/Shannon), Cillian Gallagher (Sligo RFC/Connacht), Greg Jones (UCD/Leinster), Conor Kenny (Buccaneers/Connacht), Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster), Sean O'Connor (Cashel/Munster), Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/Connacht), Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster), James Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dan Walsh (Cork Con/Munster)

Backs: Matthew Byrne (Terenure/Leinster), Brett Connon (Newcastle Falcons/Exlies), Shane Daly (Cork Con/Munster), Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster), Terry Kennedy (St Mary's/Leinster), Stephen Kerins (Sligo/Connacht), Paul Kiernan (UCC/Leinster), Robert Lyttle (Queen's University/Ulster), Johnny McPhillips (Queen's University/Ulster), Conor O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster), Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster), John Poland (Cork Con/Munster), Jack Power (UCD/Leinster), Jacob Stockdale (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Is that correct?

Think its happened before. Oisin Heffernan? Is he not from Galway but in the Leinster Academy?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 03:10:09 PM
I think the IRFU need to cop the f**k on and extend the trial to Ireland, at least for kids. Just like most other countries apparently, including the old farts in the RFU! And I think that Cill Dara are hiding behind this rule because they don't like Portarlington. Or maybe Cill Dara are the custodians of fair play in underage rugby, and all other clubs are heathens :)

Ha! Port are mad but Port and Cill Dara amalgamate for ladies and amalgamated for 20s last year. They often amalgamate at different underage levels. A very friendly rivalry. The IRFU and their referees are quite explicit about it. Port need to canvass the IRFU in a proper manner and not allow parents orchestrate pointless demonstrations where 40 other kids lose out.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

There is that :) MAd hoors the whole lot of them.

I don't know if Port and Cill Dara will get on that well after this :)

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 25, 2016, 03:12:50 PM
Quote from: ludermor on January 25, 2016, 03:10:40 PM

Is that correct?

Think its happened before. Oisin Heffernan? Is he not from Galway but in the Leinster Academy?

Claffey is in the Connacht academy it is just a mistake. Paul Kiernan is also in the Munster sub academy not Leinster , another mistake. Oisin Heffernan is from Clifden who went to Roscrea and for some reason was not picked up by the Connacht academy so Leinster approached him and he joined them (plays with UCD). If Claffey was in the Leinster academy he would not be playing for a Connacht AIL club same with Kiernan. I think Connacht are the only province where some academy/development players play with a club outside the province e.g Conor McKeon is with Connacht and Landsdowne.

By my count the squad above is 12 Leinster , 8 Munster , 5 Connacht , 4 Ulster and 1 exile.

screenexile

Is it just me or is the thought of Dylan Hartley being England captain not brilliant. . . he's a complete liability and I don't think that it will work.

Maybe Jones thinks this will mature him but Hartley is 30 this year and only a few months ago was cited for contact with they eye when the World Cup was around the corner!!! He's going to be targeted more than ever now and I think it could backfire bigtime for England.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: screenexile on January 25, 2016, 05:16:25 PM
Is it just me or is the thought of Dylan Hartley being England captain not brilliant. . . he's a complete liability and I don't think that it will work.

Maybe Jones thinks this will mature him but Hartley is 30 this year and only a few months ago was cited for contact with they eye when the World Cup was around the corner!!! He's going to be targeted more than ever now and I think it could backfire bigtime for England.

Huge gamble by Jones. Talented no doubt but he just can't himself. Thought someone like Launchbury or even Itoje would be given the armband. Read yesterday that in Hartleys 10 years of professional rugby he's been banned for 1.5 years!!! :o

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on January 25, 2016, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2016, 02:56:24 PM
I understand that. But it seems as if a) the IRFU are behind the curve on this and b) given the situation with this all over the world, and given the circumstances of a mini blitz, would it not have been more sensible to try and allow the lad play? It just seems so 'jobsworth'.

Is there a concern that these goggles may injure an opponent or something?
Both opponent and wearer.

Gmac

Six nations starting soon anyone excited about it this year?
I find myself not at all interested and that even winning it again does nothing for us after the way we went out of World Cup .

screenexile

Quote from: Gmac on January 25, 2016, 10:47:00 PM
I find myself not at all interested and that even winning it again does nothing for us after the way we went out of World Cup .

Sure maybe we shouldn't bother playing Rugby at all until the World Cup comes round every four years  ::) ::)

Tony Baloney

I wouldn't be overly confident going into it and it goes without saying the opening match is massive. France and England away from home - will England be re-engerised after the WC kicking on and off the field or remain shite. Hopefully the latter  :D

deiseach

Quote from: Gmac on January 25, 2016, 10:47:00 PM

Always. As Bill Shankly said in another context, this is our bread and butter.

Tony Baloney

I'd like to see the Jocks put up a decent show this year after the promise in the WC. Could be tighter than ever.