Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 29, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
Colin and Michael Fennely, Joey Holden and tj Reid all playing for Kilkenny today. And playing well. They haven't been with the County panel since last year. Interesting that.  :-X
its grand isn't it. No bad blood.  And there county team mates are actually passing the ball to them.  ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on March 29, 2015, 03:37:01 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on March 29, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
Colin and Michael Fennely, Joey Holden and tj Reid all playing for Kilkenny today. And playing well. They haven't been with the County panel since last year. Interesting that.  :-X
its grand isn't it. No bad blood.  And there county team mates are actually passing the ball to them.  ;D
I know. And no-one felt the need to go write a piece in the County Antrim Post about how all the club players in Kilkenny train with the County even if they're still in the all Ireland. Which they don't.   :-X
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sleeping giant

I would love to have seen how that would have worked had the current county champions had won ulster. Would our current county captain have burned the wick at both ends for the club and county. Guess we'll never no  :o
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Sleeping giant on March 29, 2015, 04:46:59 PM
I would love to have seen how that would have worked had the current county champions had won ulster. Would our current county captain have burned the wick at both ends for the club and county. Guess we'll never no  :o
:-\

Seamroga in exile

Loughgiel 1-18 dunloy 0-04. Final score Mcauley cup final.

thedog 83

Has anybody's U16 club coaches complaining about the lack of league fixtures? League starts on Easter Monday and no hint of fixtures on the horizon!!!

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

theskull1

Our U16 coaches are complaining about the lack of a fixtures list even though the dates are there. No more than that
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seamroga in exile

Two Hands FFS

Seamroga in exile

johnneycool

Would that current Antrim team not have a pretty young age profile?

Graffan and McManus probably the oldest on it and they wouldn't be in their 30's yet, would they?

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 09:25:17 AM

Graffan and McManus probably the oldest on it and they wouldn't be in their 30's yet, would they?

I get your point JC - but I'm long past looking at age profiles as some sort of success.

Clare won an All-Ireland with a young team - inter county hurling is about the here and now - it's not about the non-existent promise of the future.
What I mean is the best team should be on the pitch - age is irrelevant.
We've had young teams before - the notion that means bright time ahead when they mature is totally unfounded as there's no guarantee of that. Also - look around at other inter-county teams - they are no older than ours - it's a young man's game now.

By the sounds of things we gave a good account of ourselves which I was glad to hear. But I've lost alot of interest this year as things are just so repetitive. Same fixtures same opposition year in year out. A good year and a poor year really aren't much different. And our club scene held to ransom all the while for this procession.

I was at the Waterford Galway game - ruined somewhat by the wind. Canning can't carry that Galway side alone - and Waterford have a wealth of underage talent coming through now. They're not ready to compete with the big boys but I don't think they'll ever fall out of the reckoning too far - like everyone thought they would when the Flynn McGrath Hartley Browne era subsidied. There's a reason for that. Also notable the huge amount of kids at the game - none of them asked their age - and buses run by the county board pick up at various clubs to ferry them to and from the game. This takes the onus off the club to get kids to games - the county generate their own support as such and work with the clubs to do it. Clubs administrators have enough on their plate so they buy into this and the county get more noise at their games and kids interested - win win all round.

hurlingstick

Quote from: btdtgtt on March 30, 2015, 10:40:08 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 30, 2015, 09:25:17 AM

I get your point JC - but I'm long past looking at age profiles as some sort of success.

Clare won an All-Ireland with a young team - inter county hurling is about the here and now - it's not about the non-existent promise of the future.
What I mean is the best team should be on the pitch - age is irrelevant.
We've had young teams before - the notion that means bright time ahead when they mature is totally unfounded as there's no guarantee of that. Also - look around at other inter-county teams - they are no older than ours - it's a young man's game now.

By the sounds of things we gave a good account of ourselves which I was glad to hear. But I've lost alot of interest this year as things are just so repetitive. Same fixtures same opposition year in year out. A good year and a poor year really aren't much different. And our club scene held to ransom all the while for this procession.

I was at the Waterford Galway game - ruined somewhat by the wind. Canning can't carry that Galway side alone - and Waterford have a wealth of underage talent coming through now. They're not ready to compete with the big boys but I don't think they'll ever fall out of the reckoning too far - like everyone thought they would when the Flynn McGrath Hartley Browne era subsidied. There's a reason for that. Also notable the huge amount of kids at the game - none of them asked their age - and buses run by the county board pick up at various clubs to ferry them to and from the game. This takes the onus off the club to get kids to games - the county generate their own support as such and work with the clubs to do it. Clubs administrators have enough on their plate so they buy into this and the county get more noise at their games and kids interested - win win all round.

Great to hear a genuine hurling fan on here instead of some of the mouthpieces who only shit stir and play the blame game.