Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clootfromthe21

Quote from: hurlingstick on May 26, 2015, 02:30:56 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 26, 2015, 01:08:36 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on May 25, 2015, 06:00:19 PM
Hopefully he gets it then.  So what's the moves if he does.  Who do you get to manage the team.  And what is are realistic goals?

Is there cause for optimism though?  Hear me out.... Across the county at 10 and below I've witnessed great scenes the past 2 years. Huge numbers of juveniles, decent coaching (an adult for every 5 or 6 kids), and the so called smaller clubs competing with the bigger clubs (Glenariffe being the prime example although there are others). For the love of god keep this going. Keep developing those coaches and most importantly keep the kids enjoying the training and games.You do get the odd club who thinks it's about winning at this age (good luck) but I've seen first hand, if kids are enjoying it, numbers are maintained and grow. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a massive development from when I was a juvenile.

Hope to God this is true - last couple of weeks have been fairly grim :-[

Hurler24

Hopefully he gets it then.  So what's the moves if he does.  Who do you get to manage the team.  And what is are realistic goals?

Would a new manager make that big a difference
I think player and club hurling standards is a bigger problem
If you look at the league tables there are two down teams 2nd and 3rd in div 1
And a down team top of div 2
Bar LG the rest of the clubs are just not playing well
Is this player standards and lack of cohesive playing systems
Imm sure both down and derry are smelling blood for an Ulster this year

The down teams are terrible. They have a huge start in the league every year as the majority of the three teams starting 15 are training and playing National League. Come August Antrim teams superior hurling shows. The obvious exception being in Owenbeg last October.

I think the standard of hurling player is pretty good across Div1 and there are certainly some classy players in Div2 however I know in our own club this year that we have taken a step back which I put down to poor coaching. We have looked of the pace and don't seem to have any system of play whatsoever. Cushendall I believe are in a similar predicament and now have injuries to contend with. Dunloy have the system but lacking players at the minute. Loughgiel currently have both which makes them hard to beat.

Fancy Derry to make a big push for Ulster this year with Dinny, Kieran O'Connell and Tom managing/coaching

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Hurler24 on May 26, 2015, 04:21:42 PM

The down teams are terrible. They have a huge start in the league every year as the majority of the three teams starting 15 are training and playing National League. Come August Antrim teams superior hurling shows. The obvious exception being in Owenbeg last October.

I think the standard of hurling player is pretty good across Div1 and there are certainly some classy players in Div2 however I know in our own club this year that we have taken a step back which I put down to poor coaching. We have looked of the pace and don't seem to have any system of play whatsoever. Cushendall I believe are in a similar predicament and now have injuries to contend with. Dunloy have the system but lacking players at the minute. Loughgiel currently have both which makes them hard to beat.

Fancy Derry to make a big push for Ulster this year with Dinny, Kieran O'Connell and Tom managing/coaching

Down teams terrible
What club are current Ulster champions and what time of year  is the Ulster club semis and final played - no advantage there
If they are terrible then some suposebly big hitters in antrim are worse
It explains a lot at county level
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

btdtgtt

I don't think anyone can really dispute that there's been a drop in the standard of our club hurling.
The reasons for that are a different matter - but the drop in standard is staring us in the face.
I agree we have fantastic efforts going on in clubs at underage level but will this ever be translated to senior?

johnneycool

Quote from: Hurler24 on May 26, 2015, 04:21:42 PM

Whilst I think the standard of club hurling in Down is lower than it has been, in particular ourselves, I don't think Antrim clubs, barring a fully firing Loughgeil are any better no matter the time of year as Portaferry, who just staved off relegation, beat Cushendall at their leisure in Owenbeg, in fact the hardest game Portaferry had in the championship last year was against Ballycran.
One of the few 'top' teams we beat in the league last year was Ballycastle, who to my mind aren't what they think they are irrespective of who's managing them and the new dawn in the town may take a good few years to come to fruition if at all.

You'd be a fool to think that somehow come August and September there's a sudden vast improvement in the standard of club hurling in Antrim, thats just nonsense.

NAG1

I think there is a bit of a panic on at the minute for no apparent reason, it is over 3 months before the serious stuff will be handed out.

That is more than enough time for any of the teams not playing well to up their game or those playing well now to drop their form.

IMO the individual skill level of players across all the clubs/teams has dramatically increased but this has not transferred itself into having a larger number of better quality teams.

theskull1

We're definitely short of ball winners and natural forwards at the moment. Difficult to breed those. LG have the best stickwork across their panel by a fair stretch at the minute IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/antrim-cant-be-allowed-slip-into-abyss-31256833.html

The good old days.

Antrim can't be allowed to fail but there are no ready made solutions. No blanket guarantee.

Na Glinntí Glasa

This from the article is one of our main priority's.

The Belfast question should be first on the agenda. The city is a virtual hurling wasteland, which requires the same focused attention that was given to Dublin. If it worked so well in Dublin, why not Belfast?
And even if it wasn't to be quite the same success story, there's still an awful lot that could be done to make Belfast a more active hurling city.

Theres so many people not playing the game or having the chance to. It would be great if every primary school in the city could be involved and kids getting coaching sessions. Christ i seen a video of hurling Germany and a GAA club there that has kids playing hurling each weekend and getting coached and playing in mini leagues against other teams in that city.

Jesus if kids in Germany can get the hurling bug and want to play it surely to god we can get up and get our kids involved?

Its not so much a country problem for some clubs as theres a natural attraction and progression to hurling in places like Loughgiel, Dunloy, Cushendal etc. its the life of these parishes and our one passion we all share as a community. Its getting that into Belfast and the kids there.

The people who are there working away tirelessly need help and much more of it if we are ever to get a thriving county of future hurling stars
hurl like f**k boi!

theskull1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 27, 2015, 11:18:11 AM

The Belfast question should be first on the agenda. The city is a virtual hurling wasteland, which requires the same focused attention that was given to Dublin. If it worked so well in Dublin, why not Belfast?
And even if it wasn't to be quite the same success story, there's still an awful lot that could be done to make Belfast a more active hurling city.

Theres so many people not playing the game or having the chance to. It would be great if every primary school in the city could be involved and kids getting coaching sessions. Christ i seen a video of hurling Germany and a GAA club there that has kids playing hurling each weekend and getting coached and playing in mini leagues against other teams in that city.

Jesus if kids in Germany can get the hurling bug and want to play it surely to god we can get up and get our kids involved?

Its not so much a country problem for some clubs as theres a natural attraction and progression to hurling in places like Loughgiel, Dunloy, Cushendal etc. its the life of these parishes and our one passion we all share as a community. Its getting that into Belfast and the kids there.

The people who are there working away tirelessly need help and much more of it if we are ever to get a thriving county of future hurling stars

I think that would need to be teased out?

For example ... is the social cohesion there in the areas that the clubs operate in? Is every club set-up, of the standard that would make them attractive to new people to come in with their kids and get involved? Are clubs geared up with the right number of people to run the sports with the right level quality coaching to make new parents feel their kids are having a positive experience.

Reality is that no club can put a BIG tick beside any off those boxes, but some are better than others and even the experiences within a club can swing widely depending on the mentors involved with them.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 27, 2015, 11:18:11 AM

Theres so many people not playing the game or having the chance to. It would be great if every primary school in the city could be involved and kids getting coaching sessions.

I very much agree. By the time a youngster is in secondary school the boat has sailed. I know first hand from family association that what passes for hurling development (some by paid people) in the primary schools is just not good enough - and totally incomparable to what I know happens in Waterford for example. The days of teachers in schools driving this are gone. There's very few males left in our primary schools, and those who try to drive things (including females) are handicapped by financial constraints and a toxic mix of health and safety and bureaucracy. Leaving aside the Bunscoil sector - the "hurling wasteland" is typified in primary schools. Easy problem to identify - I'm just not so sure how to fix it!

Christ i seen a video of hurling Germany and a GAA club there that has kids playing hurling each weekend and getting coached and playing in mini leagues against other teams in that city.

CitySlicker11

Looking forward to the first St Johns v Rossa game since 2013. Having read the football thread and noticed a number of injuries to some of Rossa's main players I would fancy a St Johns win here. The experience of being Division one last year should also stand to the Johnnies. Hoping for a tight game nonetheless.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on May 27, 2015, 01:04:15 PM
Looking forward to the first St Johns v Rossa game since 2013. Having read the football thread and noticed a number of injuries to some of Rossa's main players I would fancy a St Johns win here. The experience of being Division one last year should also stand to the Johnnies. Hoping for a tight game nonetheless.

Rossa should win this pulling up considering all they have done lately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea