The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

How's the Fox News Christmas tree holding up?

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 10, 2021, 03:58:39 PM
How's the Fox News Christmas tree holding up?
if it was the cnn or msnbc tree they probably would have set it on fire themselves.

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2021, 01:34:24 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 10, 2021, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 10, 2021, 02:36:54 AM
Great day for race relations in the USA knowing that the mastermind behind the jussie smollet racist and homophobic attack has been convicted on all charges.

Crazy stuff, all to increase his profile I assume. Not only lied but actually staged it

Well he's paying the price. And correctly so.

As are a number of the Jan 6 morons.

Those who fomented and led it... not so much.

your response is one of the reasons, i dont bother to view this board more than once a month.
What the F has January 6th got to do with Smollett.
I think there should be a focus on the list of politicians and show anchors who jumped to conclusions as it fit their narrative at the time, January of an election year.
Joe B
Kamal
Al Sharp
Cnn' Van Joe
Andrew Cu
there were at least half a dozen more who declared it a "lynching"
you know what all of them have in common, not one of them will apologize to the American public for their very inaccurate (pathetic )comments.
some of the Lib channels provided very little reporting on the guilty verdict.
TBH, It is also a reason that I avoid the news on TV. Over the top on both sides,
but at least when you make comments that are blatantly inaccurate, should you not come out and acknowledge them and even correct them?.
I will wrap it up, but in the 35+ years I have lived here, I have never experienced such a lack of leadership in this great country.
It is a bit scary that it has come to this, and I wonder what the dem powerbrokers were thinking 18 months ago when they pushed the combined Joe/Kamal ticket.
The answer to that one could take hours to answer.

screenexile

Who didn't report the guilty verdict??

Taylor

The US is a crazy crazy place.

Even in the dark times on this island, years ago, you would find people who were middle of the road - didnt get involved in whatabboutery when there were incidents etc and just yearned for normal society.

But knowing a number of Americans and also looking at this thread, day in day out, there are very few if any middle of the roads who can see both sides of the argument - admit failings etc etc.

Its either hard one side or hard the other - no in between.

Nuts

Franko

Agreed Taylor

It's all about the direction of travel

Over here, a few incidents aside, there was always a general feeling that the passage of time was closing the gap for all but the most hardcore elements

The chasm in the US seems to be opening, at an ever-increasing rate

Rossfan

Quote from: Taylor on December 10, 2021, 04:28:31 PM

Even in the dark times on this island, years ago, you would find people who were middle of the road - didnt get involved in whatabboutery when there were incidents etc and just yearned for normal society.

But knowing a number of Americans and also looking at this thread, day in day out, there are very few if any middle of the roads who can see both sides of the argument - admit failings etc etc.

Nuts
The U S will be a great place when the Yanks become adults in mind as well as body.
No sign of that yet.
Only children would think guns are more important than healthcare.
Sad to see so many Irish people who go there ending up with children's minds too (1 or 2 on this board) and dispersing with using their naturally sensible Irish brains.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: joemamas on December 10, 2021, 04:13:41 PM
Great day for race relations in the USA knowing that the mastermind behind the jussie smollet racist and homophobic attack has been convicted on all charges.

Crazy stuff, all to increase his profile I assume. Not only lied but actually staged it

your response is one of the reasons, i dont bother to view this board more than once a month.

You never have a problem with any of the endless logical falacies and outright bullshit this thread gets from your fellow travellers, but you still stick your head in again and again to whine against me personally. How many times is that now?

Nothing directly obviously.

My comment was more aimed at how Gmac resurrects this thread now and again for some perceived outrage by the left, but the thread then goes dormant, despite daily stories about the descent of the GOP into fascist madness.

I could be posting here, day after day, about the insanity of the right wing, but, to me, some things pretty much go without saying. I couldn't be arsed. I suspect others are the same. So the thread goes quiet, mostly, until Gmac resurrects it.

And the same Gmac who is outraged about Smullett, a few months back described the Jan 6 riot as a "walkthrough".

Smollett is a lone incident. If only the daily insults from the right were the same.

I think there should be a focus on the list of politicians and show anchors who jumped to conclusions as it fit their narrative at the time, January of an election year.
Joe B
Kamal
Al Sharp
Cnn' Van Joe
Andrew Cu
you know what all of them have in common, not one of them will apologize to the American public for their very inaccurate (pathetic )comments.

Ok, perhaps fair. They were wrong and should acknowledge it. But we're talking about politicians here who are concerned about the 24 hour news cycle.

Do you hold the right to the same standard?

TBH, It is also a reason that I avoid the news on TV. Over the top on both sides,
but at least when you make comments that are blatantly inaccurate, should you not come out and acknowledge them and even correct them?.

Of course they should.

Again, I ask do you hold the GOP leadership to the same standard?

Never mind Trump, what about, say, Kevin McCarthy? He's banishing principled members of his party to the wilderness because they have the temerity to stand up to, tell the truth about and contradict Trump, while at the same time he indulges the naked bigotry and fascism of the likes of Green and Bobert. He knows better, but he's betting his dignity and his integrity, such as it is, and whatever prinicples he once possessed, on becoming Speaker.

I will wrap it up, but in the 35+ years I have lived here, I have never experienced such a lack of leadership in this great country.
It is a bit scary that it has come to this, and I wonder what the dem powerbrokers were thinking 18 months ago when they pushed the combined Joe/Kamal ticket.

There's no mystery whatsoever as to why the Dems went with Biden. There was a thin field and they needed a moderate, centrist seasoned hand to beat one of the most corrosive, corrupt and damaging figures to ascend to the top of US politics in decades.

Things ain't great, but, they could have been a hell of a lot worse had the election turned out differently.

That could still come to pass over the next few years.

screenexile

Joe B
Kamal
Al Sharp
Cnn' Van Joe
Andrew Cu

Why is Trump not on your list??

J70

Nuts

You can't have a middle ground when one side is off in a cloud cuckoo land of superstition, conspiracies and paranoia.

The American left of centre/Democratic Party is pretty mainstream by European standards.

The American mainstream right is about in line with the nuts in the DUP and European far right.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2021, 02:22:52 AM

Nuts

You can't have a middle ground when one side is off in a cloud cuckoo land of superstition, conspiracies and paranoia.

The American left of centre/Democratic Party is pretty mainstream by European standards.

The American mainstream right is about in line with the nuts in the DUP and European far right.

LOL

Abolish the Police, abolish prisons, abolish the border

Jail people for "dead naming" transgender people

Offended at every holiday and historic figure

There's a shower of See you next Tuesdays on the democratic side who make the Republicans actually look sane

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 11, 2021, 05:17:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2021, 02:22:52 AM

Nuts

LOL

Abolish the Police, abolish prisons, abolish the border

Jail people for "dead naming" transgender people

Offended at every holiday and historic figure

There's a shower of See you next Tuesdays on the democratic side who make the Republicans actually look sane

The difference, whitey, being that what would be deemed as extremists on the left ARE extremists. They're not the mainstream party.

But you already know this.

No doubt part of the reason you're always so careful and quick to claim you're NOT a Republican and why you very rarely express any support for any actual Republican initiatives and policies.

whitey

So after an epic debacle of an election last year,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7809359002

NYC has decided to allow 800000 non citizens to vote

That's should really restore people's confidence in the integrity of the process

(And wait until a handful of them are mistakingly  given ballots meant for citizens.....just handing the Republicans all the ammunition they need)

J70

"Epic" debacle? ;D

They sorted it out straight away.

Two separate issues anyway.

Personally I've no philosophical issue with letting permanent residents vote in local elections. Especially DACA people who've lived here their entire lives. They should have a voice in how the city is run.

I do have a problem with the 30 day threshold. That is ridiculously short.

Whether it all passes legal muster is another issue.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2021, 03:29:26 PM
"Epic" debacle? ;D

They sorted it out straight away.

Two separate issues anyway.

Personally I've no philosophical issue with letting permanent residents vote in local elections. Especially DACA people who've lived here their entire lives. They should have a voice in how the city is run.

I do have a problem with the 30 day threshold. That is ridiculously short.

Whether it all passes legal muster is another issue.

Lol

So technically DACA folks are in the country illegally, they've just been given a stay by executive order that could be rescinded by a court. Is that an accurate assessment?

So the Democrats now have "illegals" voting in elections-fantastic

(FWIW, I'm in favor of DACA, but this is just bone headed stupidity)