China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: Man Marker on January 14, 2022, 09:40:23 AM
As someone not massively into this, I seen a video of the the CEO of Pfizer saying the first two vaccines weren't effective against omicron but the booster would be (thats in my own words) Is it genuine?

I'm not sure of the specific video, would it be in relation to the new Omnicron specific vaccine they are developing(due for release in March). 
  They are also considering blending this new vaccine with the original for an extra boost

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2022/01/10/pfizer-hybrid-covid-vaccine-omicron-variant-biontech-booster/amp/

lenny

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 14, 2022, 12:32:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2022, 07:04:45 AM
Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.

Sounds brilliant and I hope it works out like that. I was reading something the other day though which makes me think it is unlikely. The problem is that Covid doesn't work in the same way as the flu. Each iteration of the flu evolves from the last one. With Covid it's not working out like that. Variants are emerging around the world but not necessarily as an iteration of the previous one eg omicron didn't evolve from delta. What that means is that the next variant to come along could be a lot more lethal than omicron and just as infectious or it could be even less dangerous. At this stage nobody knows and it will basically come down to luck.

lenny

I see Alphonso Davies from Bayern has had to take time off from playing as he's got myocarditis after getting Covid in December. This was probably only picked up because he's a footballer and getting regular checks. The anti vaccine brigade keep pushing this as a major side effect of the vaccine but they don't like getting it pointed out that it's at least 4 times more likely to happen if you get Covid.

Armagh18

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 14, 2022, 12:32:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2022, 07:04:45 AM
Omnicron was unknown a month ago but now with ICU numbers falling in many countries it's much less of a worry.
The problem is that Covid is well established in poorer countries where public health is weak and will be back again with more iterations.

Nah - very unlikely.

At this point, it'd essentially be a new virus if it were to cause a significant disruption to the current trajectory.

Omicron will over the next month or two give almost everyone immunity - including the anti-vax hold outs.
That immunity will be close enough to be effective* against any other SARS-CoV-2 variant.
Furthermore, since it seems to come back on people fairly quickly - like a cold - the constant reserve of it in the community will by and by large keep immune systems fresh with it.

Get the NHS out of the woods (by flattening peak), then get rid of all local restrictions. At that point, they'll do more harm than good - we want to keep Omicron circulating in some shape/form when everyone has a good immune response to it. Probably prudent to keep an eye on international gateways, but not likely to be an issue.

*effective in this case = bringing down rates of serious illness/fatalities to those of similar infections.
That all makes sense, let's hope thats how it plays out.

Armagh18

Quote from: lenny on January 14, 2022, 02:37:44 PM
I see Alphonso Davies from Bayern has had to take time off from playing as he's got myocarditis after getting Covid in December. This was probably only picked up because he's a footballer and getting regular checks. The anti vaccine brigade keep pushing this as a major side effect of the vaccine but they don't like getting it pointed out that it's at least 4 times more likely to happen if you get Covid.
Only playing devils advocate here, but has he not got the vaccine? The anti vaxxers will blame it on that.

Gabriel_Hurl

Like that idiot Joe Rogan the other day - https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1481638689415462916

Gmac

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 14, 2022, 03:51:26 PM

Like that idiot Joe Rogan the other day - https://twitter.com/FullContactMTWF/status/1481638689415462916
idiot ? Guy has biggest podcast out there , when are you starting your podcast.   keep it low in ardboe

Gabriel_Hurl

Yes - that idiot Joe Rogan

Hound

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 14, 2022, 03:57:43 PM
Thankfully he had a guest that not only called him out on his nonsense, but proved it straight away!

Joe's a typical anti-vaxxer, in that he believes all the stats about vaccine side effects, but believes none of the stats about vaccines working and the negative effects of Covid, even when the stats all come from the same place!

JoG2

thebigfella

Quote from: Gmac on January 14, 2022, 03:54:46 PM

idiot ? Guy has biggest podcast out there , when are you starting your podcast.   keep it low in ardboe

Plenty of people voted for Borris or listen to Nolan...... doesn't make either of them less of an idiot.

Last Man

Quote from: JoG2 on January 14, 2022, 04:04:53 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 14, 2022, 03:57:43 PM

Complete and utter clown
Thats a bit over the top lad. He takes a position that he is always prepared to change his opinion if with presented with a better argument and be nice to people. His show certainly is not an echo chamber.   

lenny

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 14, 2022, 03:42:18 PM
Only playing devils advocate here, but has he not got the vaccine? The anti vaxxers will blame it on that.

You'd be a very stupid advocate then. He got his vaccine pre season in July. He's played all season without a problem with all the regular checks and monitoring they do at top level professional clubs. He got Covid in December and when he tried to return to playing and training he was getting pains in his chest.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: lenny on January 14, 2022, 05:18:48 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 14, 2022, 03:42:18 PM

You'd be a very stupid advocate then. He got his vaccine pre season in July. He's played all season without a problem with all the regular checks and monitoring they do at top level professional clubs. He got Covid in December and when he tried to return to playing and training he was getting pains in his chest.

Probably mixture of vaccine and Covid then lol

RedHand88

Quote from: Gmac on January 14, 2022, 03:54:46 PM

In the words of the great Super Hans

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people Jez."