Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:10:47 PM
Féile 2022
*100,000 People in Attendance
*350 Events *
85 Debates and Discussions
*28 Art Exhibitions                   
*4 10,000 Person Concerts

From Féile's Twitter account.

Not bad at all (considering what was going on 35+ years ago in West Belfast and surrounding area) I think.

Unfortunately, Screen Exile and the likes will focus on one thing in particular, out of the thousands of things that was on this past week or so.

Wolfe Tones are definately not my thing but the demand is there obviously. Sold out in record time.

Next thing is some of you'll want Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans banned.  :o

This proves my point. Lots of positives but overshadowed by stupidity. Glorification of terrorism isn't ok. We wouldn't accept it if it was any other terrorist organisation they were singing about.

Define terrorist.

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

GiveItToTheShooters

Nothing to see here.
The unionist woke bet wetters were always going to be out in force crying, just like they do every year. Didnt see them crying about UVF flags in Derry the other day or about stuff burnt on bonfires a few weeks ago. Only when it suits them, let them cry away.
As you were, hopefully the tones are playing again next year.

Milltown Row2

Having the same conversations every year about the wolf tones and the bad publicity that comes with it, why is anyone shocked that unionism is up in arms about these t shirts and songs?

It takes away from the outrage over Michaela McAreavey and burning effigies of local politicians and gaa people, I've said before we are very good and shooting ourselves in the foot and all the good thats done is lost, aping loyalist will continue to divide this place and you'll never ever win over the middle of the road unionist, maybe SF don't want a united Ireland
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Truth hurts

Can the Wolfe tones not just be taken out of the festival? I am sure they could play at a stand-alone event not linked to the festival. But the videos are cringy and the oohh ahh up the raa stuff needs to stop.

theskull1

Question: - Would the defenders of the 'oh ah up the RA'ers' right to express themselves, be willing to leave that tradition to the past IF doing so helped persuade enough fence sitters that would bring about the unification of Ireland? 

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 15, 2022, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:37:44 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 15, 2022, 01:32:26 PM
Cant take Kneecap at all. Glorifying drugs, violence and anti social behaviour. Knew one of the lads before he was in band-not very friendly tbh

I'm sure they'll be gutted to hear this.

You are just the sort of tit who be into them though, I kook forward to the day when you find out you wain blasts

Never mind the Irish, you'd need to get a grip on the English language.

marty34

Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:38:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 01:26:09 PM
Féile 2022
*350 Events *
*28 Art Exhibitions                   

Not bad at all (considering what was going on 35+ years ago in West Belfast and surrounding area) I think.

Unfortunately, Screen Exile and the likes will focus on one thing in particular, out of the thousands of things that was on this past week or so.

Wolfe Tones are definately not my thing but the demand is there obviously. Sold out in record time.

Next thing is some of you'll want Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans banned.  :o

This proves my point. Lots of positives but overshadowed by stupidity. Glorification of terrorism isn't ok. We wouldn't accept it if it was any other terrorist organisation they were singing about.

Define terrorist.

A person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Old IRA, new IRA?

Were the RUC, BA and UDR terrorists?

marty34

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on August 15, 2022, 02:22:58 PM
Nothing to see here.
The unionist woke bet wetters were always going to be out in force crying, just like they do every year. Didnt see them crying about UVF flags in Derry the other day or about stuff burnt on bonfires a few weeks ago. Only when it suits them, let them cry away.

100%.

They can celebrate the terrorists of the RUC and UDR etc. every November.

Next thing is a few lads on here will be asking GAA clubs like Kevin Lynch's, Pádraig Pearses, Wolfe Tones and Casements etc. to change their names of the clubs.

I'll not be lectured to by unionists who have over 3000 parades, a lot in nationalist areas every year.

Belfast City Hall and Stormont is littered with unionist icons and ideology etc.

Look at Antrim Camogie team.

As I say, no lectures.

keep her low this half

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 15, 2022, 02:32:18 PM
Can the Wolfe tones not just be taken out of the festival? I am sure they could play at a stand-alone event not linked to the festival. But the videos are cringy and the oohh ahh up the raa stuff needs to stop.

The Wolfe Tones should be taken out of the festival because they are absolutely done. Seen them a good few times down the years and always enjoyed the show. Saw them at Felie 4-5 years back and the voices are gone and they totally rely on crowd singalong now. Time to hang up the banjo.

marty34

Quote from: theskull1 on August 15, 2022, 02:35:28 PM
Question: - Would the defenders of the 'oh ah up the RA'ers' right to express themselves, be willing to leave that tradition to the past IF doing so helped persuade enough fence sitters that would bring about the unification of Ireland?

Question: Do you really think that unionists will vote yes in a ref. just because the Wolfe Tones stop playing at Féile?

No matter what nationalists do will not be good enough - simple as.

As we see from recent events, the Irish language, GAA, pollsters, academia, Fleadh and politicians etc.etc. are all targets for unionists.

There's an orchestrated campaign, which will crank up over the next year.

For the people here who want to cancel the Wolfe Tones (btw, they're well past their sell-by-date), where do you stop?

Other rebel bands?
Do we cancel Grace and Joe Mc Donnell?
Do we write to Limerick Co. Boardand say stop playing/singing Sean South in the changing rooms/homecoming when they will the AI?
Do GAA clubs change their names?
Do we stop bi-lingual street names as unionists find it controversial?

Where do we stop?

Kidder81

You and others seem to be missing the point that it's an "easy hit" due to the amount of public/rate payer money it receives

Snapchap

Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 02:11:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 01:38:54 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 15, 2022, 01:26:09 PM
Féile 2022
*350 Events *
*28 Art Exhibitions                   

Define terrorist.

So the British Army weren't terrorist because their violence and intimidation has the legal backing of the state?

screenexile

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 03:19:14 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 15, 2022, 02:35:28 PM

Question: Do you really think that unionists will vote yes in a ref. just because the Wolfe Tones stop playing at Féile?

No matter what nationalists do will not be good enough - simple as.

As we see from recent events, the Irish language, GAA, pollsters, academia, Fleadh and politicians etc.etc. are all targets for unionists.

There's an orchestrated campaign, which will crank up over the next year.

For the people here who want to cancel the Wolfe Tones (btw, they're well past their sell-by-date), where do you stop?

Other rebel bands?
Do we cancel Grace and Joe Mc Donnell?
Do we write to Limerick Co. Boardand say stop playing/singing Sean South in the changing rooms/homecoming when they will the AI?
Do GAA clubs change their names?
Do we stop bi-lingual street names as unionists find it controversial?

Where do we stop?

You are right of course hard line Unionists are using all the above as a stick to beat Nationalists with but not having rebel music and "Up the Ra" merchandise at a publicly funded festival is quite an easy one to fix.

You can't cancel rebel bands or their songs but they shouldn't be part of a festival that receives public money.

Limerick can do what they want.

GAA Clubs up here I think will change their names eventually over time.

Bi-lingual street signs aren't that big an issue I don't think.

The less things they can complain about the better. You are putting off small u unionists with the kind of shit we saw over the weekend and they'll be needed in a unity referendum if the business case is put to them correctly. You have to be able to convince them they won't be demonised or made to feel unwelcome in a New Ireland.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2022, 03:00:29 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on August 15, 2022, 02:22:58 PM
Nothing to see here.

100%.

They can celebrate the terrorists of the RUC and UDR etc. every November.

Next thing is a few lads on here will be asking GAA clubs like Kevin Lynch's, Pádraig Pearses, Wolfe Tones and Casements etc. to change their names of the clubs.

I'll not be lectured to by unionists who have over 3000 parades, a lot in nationalist areas every year.

Belfast City Hall and Stormont is littered with unionist icons and ideology etc.

Look at Antrim Camogie team.

As I say, no lectures.
Spot on

imtommygunn

On a note about the footballer. How is he going to back to Larne? Larne and that east coast of antrim is heavily controlled /influenced by loyalist paramilitaries. I would have thought he's as well off out of it for his own good.