Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Any predictions for the semi finals.

Clann Eireann v Derrygonnelly 
  7/4            13/2                8/13
Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen             v                 Kilcoo   
4/7           7-1                15/8

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3

yellowcard

Clann Eireann have a free shot to nothing at making an Ulster final. Derrygonnelly took a notable scalp by beating the Tyrone champions whilst CE just edged out the Antrim champions. I think Clann Eireann will improve for getting over the first round and getting their teeth into the competition but they will need to. Derrygonnelly will feel that this is a glorious opportunity to make an Ulster final after running Kilcoo so close in 2019 when they really beat themselves. I think Derrygonnelly's gretaer experience and physicality will see them over the line.

So far Glen have fulfilled all of the hype and expectation this season. They have been the talking horse for a few years now after winning 4 Ulster minor club titles in a row. It seems to have taken the introduction of a top class manager to get them over the line. They have the talent and on paper they are much better than Kilcoo but Kilcoo will relish the underdog tag and they love nothing more than a dog fight. Conditions could play a part and it is a really difficult game to call. Glen have a big advantage around the middle third of the pitch but if Kilcoo get their running game going they could do some damage on the counter attack. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this game going to extra time. 

imtommygunn

I think Glass coming has made a big difference too.

yellowcard

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 14, 2021, 01:54:14 PM

Undoubtedly, great player and he still has the potential to get better. I think like most former AFL players returning it takes them a time to readjust to gaelic football but he is still at an age where he can get better. Looking at his body shape, it is fairly obvious what AFL done for him physically but the skill levels do need some time to readjust.   

imtommygunn

Yeah the engine and conditioning etc is definitely there. I would expect a lot more from him in years to come - and McKenna too.

Milltown Row2

I'll go with form in the tournament and both Kilcoo and Derrygonnelly are seasoned campaigners, Glen won handy enough last day but struggled against the Donegal ones. CE were brilliant for 30 minutes, they can't afford to give out a big lead next day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 01:59:18 PM

Undoubtedly, great player and he still has the potential to get better. I think like most former AFL players returning it takes them a time to readjust to gaelic football but he is still at an age where he can get better. Looking at his body shape, it is fairly obvious what AFL done for him physically but the skill levels do need some time to readjust.

Never quite get this and its often put forward when lads come back from a short stint. The fella played Gaelic from 5-18, AFL from 18-22, he's 24 now, the skills are back, 6 months is enough to get back into the swing with the native game after a short stint away

yellowcard

Quote from: tiempo on December 14, 2021, 03:25:08 PM

Never quite get this and its often put forward when lads come back from a short stint. The fella played Gaelic from 5-18, AFL from 18-22, he's 24 now, the skills are back, 6 months is enough to get back into the swing with the native game after a short stint away

Well I'm basing it on the evidence of what I've seen with the history of returning players over the years. Very few have come back better gaelic footballers after a prolonged period away. Their body shapes change physically which have both negatives and positive consequences when transferring across to gaelic football. The kicking and handpassing style is much different in AFL.

If you want another example just look at the specky he went for in the game against Scotstown. Looked great for the cameras but ultimately resulted in a foul against his side. That shows that there is still an element of his play that lingers on from AFL.   

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: yellowcard on December 14, 2021, 03:40:00 PM
Quote from: tiempo on December 14, 2021, 03:25:08 PM

Well I'm basing it on the evidence of what I've seen with the history of returning players over the years. Very few have come back better gaelic footballers after a prolonged period away. Their body shapes change physically which have both negatives and positive consequences when transferring across to gaelic football. The kicking and handpassing style is much different in AFL.

If you want another example just look at the specky he went for in the game against Scotstown. Looked great for the cameras but ultimately resulted in a foul against his side. That shows that there is still an element of his play that lingers on from AFL.

Remember too that these guys when they're in Australia are training every day, will constantly have oval ball in hand, practising the skills. That is bound to have an impact over a few years and take away from what was previously second nature to them.

general_lee

Quote from: grounded on December 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM

Logic would say to go with the more experienced Derrygonnelly side here but I've a feeling Clan Eireann can pull a shock of here, but by the minimum.   

Glen strong favourites for this. Kilcoo have struggled in the past against big physical sides like Glen. However they have some serious experience at this level and have real goal scoring threats. I think the bookies might be wrong on this one. Kilcoo by 3
I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

Walter Cronc

Quote from: general_lee on December 14, 2021, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 14, 2021, 01:29:15 PM

I heard talk of maghera men backing Glen for Ulster before they'd even won Derry. I think they'll edge it. Other tie I think is more of a toss up - Derrygonnelly have the experience and attributes for winter football but CE have confidence and nothing to lose. They also don't know when they're beaten so DG could be 6 or so up and CE could still come back at them

BS. No one around the club backed us for Ulster. Kilcoo big favourites. Hopefully we can give them a game!

the goal was on

That Kilcoo team was unreal just a season and a half ago, could have won an ireland against corofin. I think they'll win it this year. They have serious power and experience. Clann Eireann to win the other tie. Big pitch wont help derrygonnelly and dry conditions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the goal was on on December 14, 2021, 06:27:59 PM
That Kilcoo team was unreal just a season and a half ago, could have won an ireland against corofin. I think they'll win it this year. They have serious power and experience. Clann Eireann to win the other tie. Big pitch wont help derrygonnelly and dry conditions.

Is that what got them over the line the last day? Small pitch poor conditions?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on December 14, 2021, 06:27:59 PM

Is that what got them over the line the last day? Small pitch poor conditions?

Sure ya know yourself, had it of been a dry summer day on a big pitch then Dromore would have bate Derrygonnelly out the gate!  ;D