journalists trying to influence/lobby rule makers and disciplinary procedures.

Started by rrhf, August 11, 2015, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Www.teamtalkmag.com
Is there any other organisation in the sporting world that appears as open to the whims of television and paper journalists as our beloved gaa. I wouldn't want Joe brolly or colm o rourke to have their noses put out of joint but it appears everyone wants to tell the gaa what to do...time to put the spotlight on the journalists who are writing the rules and.now attempting to have them selectively enforced to suit their own narrow agendas..

BennyHarp

The GAA need to come out and name these journalists. These are professionals trying to call the shots in an amateur organisation by bullying through their own agenda. Why do these people feel they have anymore right than club members from around the country to change / influence the rules of our games? If the rules need changed they can motioned by clubs and voted on at congress. There seriously is a media bias that needs to be addressed!
That was never a square ball!!

Throw ball

As I said on another thread this is hardly an impartial source and the GAA cannot choose who phones them.

On saying that the media undoubtedly has an influence over who gets suspensions. I remember your good neighbours enforcing a media ban last year because they too were of that opinion.

Bensars

Keep this thread here they will see it themselves.

One prominent arsehole scribe  who writes for one of the major papers had a load of what was posted here yesterday in his column today.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Throw ball on August 11, 2015, 10:03:22 PM
As I said on another thread this is hardly an impartial source and the GAA cannot choose who phones them.

On saying that the media undoubtedly has an influence over who gets suspensions. I remember your good neighbours enforcing a media ban last year because they too were of that opinion.

Kinda like RTE then?

Aaron Boone

is the squad strong enough once Tiernan inevitably gets the one-match ban?

yellowcard

With the massive Tyrone media backlash it will be hard to see how the officials whether it be subconscious or not can be impartial when refereeing Tyrone in the semi final. It will also likely take the edge off the Tyrone players who need to play on the borderline of the rules to stand any chance against Kerry. Imo Kerry would beat them regardless but I really feel with the general ill feeling that exists around Tyrone that Kerry could hand them their arses on a plate.

Il Bomber Destro

I don't think any potential ban has a chance of sticking giving the precedent to not do anything with Shields only a couple of weeks ago. We'll have Logie on the ball and Tiernan will be available to play.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2015, 10:02:05 PM
The GAA need to come out and name these journalists. These are professionals trying to call the shots in an amateur organisation by bullying through their own agenda. Why do these people feel they have anymore right than club members from around the country to change / influence the rules of our games? If the rules need changed they can motioned by clubs and voted on at congress. There seriously is a media bias that needs to be addressed!

When you get caught on National Television diving with no contact made- can you really blame the analysts for pointing out the bleeding obvious? Otherwise what's the point in having them on TV.

If Mc Cann doesn't dive - he doesn't get banned

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2015, 10:47:56 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2015, 10:02:05 PM

When you get caught on National Television diving with no contact made- can you really blame the analysts for pointing out the bleeding obvious? Otherwise what's the point in having them on TV.

If Mc Cann doesn't dive - he doesn't get banned

If Shields doesn't dive, he doesn't get banned.

If Beggan doesn't dive, he doesn't get banned.

Oh no, wait, they did dive but didn't get banned.

AZOffaly

Thin ice Indiana. Will everyone who dives get suspended from now on? I hate diving, but the Sunday game deciding what's worth a ban or not is a flimsy way to run disciplinary proceedings. This will be overturned and will be a f**king mess.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 10:51:59 PM
Thin ice Indiana. Will everyone who dives get suspended from now on? I hate diving, but the Sunday game deciding what's worth a ban or not is a flimsy way to run disciplinary proceedings. This will be overturned and will be a f**king mess.

I dunno they usually don't hand out suspensions these days if the DRA are just going to turn them over

Bensars

Quote from: INDIANA on August 11, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 11, 2015, 10:51:59 PM
I dunno they usually don't hand out suspensions these days if the DRA are just going to turn them over

Depends on the detail of referees report.

Simulation is yellow card, so must be more than that? Can't see it being upheld.

If true this opens potential floodgates with no tariff relating to the offence.

screenexile

Seems like he is getting banned... Class!!!

In fairness I don't think the lad should be banned because there is no precedent for it but there should be something brought in on the back of this! (about 13/14 odd years too late though... How long has Sean Cavanagh been playing Senior football?).

It'll be thrown out!!

SkillfulBill

Here is the thing. We have individuals in the media who are using their positions to attempt to inflence officials in a sporting organisation to ban players or to adopt a harderline towards particular counties on the pitch and post match. This has been going on for years now and its not only Tyrone who have been subjected to it Kerry, Armagh and Donegal have all been at the sharp end of these individuals. What i would like to see is the betting slips of these impartial reporters.