Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Who gets the interest on the cash sales for the tickets?

Brooks is a big winner in this now as he will do the Phoenix park next year for 3 nights and to 600k.

He will also have a high drama opener for his movie which will show his career re launch.

Garth Crooks!
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Wildweasel74

Seriously has Garth brooks give a reasonable explanation why he cannot do 3 nites, as he was originally going to do 2? We blaming everybody under the moon but at the end of the day, brooks has not given a explanation why he cant do 3, so i leave the blame with him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2014, 08:30:28 PM
Seriously has Garth brooks give a reasonable explanation why he cannot do 3 nites, as he was originally going to do 2? We blaming everybody under the moon but at the end of the day, brooks has not given a explanation why he cant do 3, so i leave the blame with him.
His reasoning is that he has (wrongly) sold tickets for 5 nights and people on 2 nights would lose out. Choosing which 2 nights to lose millions would be like choosing his favourite child.

moysider

Quote from: snatter on July 15, 2014, 03:18:10 PM
Quote from: snatter on July 15, 2014, 01:56:34 PM
A lot of misinformation being spread about the number of events that Croke Park is allowed to hold each year.

It's quite simple:

1. The GAA is automatically ALLOWED three non-football events per year.
2. There is NO BAN on having more than three events per year.
3. The promoter of the subsequent ( ie 4th and beyond) events have to apply for a Public Event Licence from DCC.

Here's the legalese ( lifted from http://votemcauliffe.com )

"An Bord Pleanála granted permission for the redevelopment of Croke Park Stadium on the 9th of March 1993 under Planning Permission Register Reference No. 0238/92. Condition 11 of the permission allows for three special events such as concerts per year to be held in the stadium under this permission subject to the approval of an event management plan which is required to be submitted by way of compliance submission to Dublin City Councils Planning Department.

Any additional concerts proposed to be held in Croke Park in excess of the three permitted per year under the permission must be applied for by way of a Public Event Licence application to Dublin City Council under the provisions of 230 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 as amended. The application which can be for one or more events must be made a minimum of ten weeks prior to the first event."

Any suggestion that Croke Park is only allowed a maximum of three non sports events per year is entirely bogus.

FFS, this isn't difficult to understand. There is no maximum.

There is not one regulation anywhere, apart form some of your heads, that says Croke Park is only allowed a maximum of 3 events per year.

Croke Park is automatically allowed 3 events (subject to event management plan ) every year. This was granted as a condition under the original planning permission.

Subsequent legislation allows promoters to apply for as many further Croke Park events as they like, by applying to DCC for what are known as a Public Event Licences.

The reason DCC turned down the events licence wasn't that Croke Park had already had 3 events (under the Planning Permission). Rather, it was the 5 consecutuive days duration they objected to. Afaik, it's the first time anywhere that any council has ever turned down one of these event licence applications. Previously it was regarded as a rubber stamp exercise.

DCC did make it clear that 3 concerts in a row was fine, just not 5. Their judgement (for which no appeal mechanism exists) was purely subjective - nothing in any regulation or guidance states 3 consecutive days as a cut-off point.

Having said that, there's nothing in the current legislation or DCC's precedent to prevent promoters from applying for as many more CP concerts as they like, as long as they are only 3 consecutive days. As things stand right now, they could have three concerts a month, every month of the year, under DCC's new precedent.

Going forward, the best thing the Govt & GAA could do is to move the schools at the canal end, and make a proper plaza, through which all CP users would enter and exit. That's the blindingly obvious solution to all of this resident(or faux-resident) v's GAA conflict.

So, DCC could have allowed the 5 concerts go ahead right? Or they could have refused a licence for any because the 3 automatic nights were already used up?
The promoters applied for a license for a 5 night event. Surely it was a yeah or nay. Why would the council decide to water down the event to 3 nights? It should have santioned it all or not at all.

dec

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2014, 08:34:52 PM
His reasoning is that he has (wrongly) sold tickets for 5 nights and people on 2 nights would lose out. Choosing which 2 nights to lose millions would be like choosing his favourite child.

Why would he have to make the decision?

Whoever has tickets for the two nights that didn't get approved are out of luck.

orangeman

Garth Brooks is going on a world tour - he was going to play 2 nights, then a third was added and then a 4th and then 5th concert was added.

So he has been told that he can only play 3 nights but is refusing.

He will play various stadia - how many 5 nights in a row will he have ?? Probably none. So why insist on 5 in a row in Dublin ? Why would Dublin be any different ?.

moysider

Quote from: dec on July 15, 2014, 08:51:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2014, 08:34:52 PM

Why would he have to make the decision?

Whoever has tickets for the two nights that didn't get approved are out of luck.

That s hardly fair. He was right to pull the plug imo. DCC should have sanctioned the lot or none at all. Trying to water it down put Brooks in a lousy position.
Turns out now they offered four nights!! why did they just not sanction th event in the first place and let people enjoy the summer and help the city they re supposed to run and serve by bringing in a few bob. Instead of pandering to a few cranks.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on July 15, 2014, 09:10:23 PM
Garth Brooks is going on a world tour - he was going to play 2 nights, then a third was added and then a 4th and then 5th concert was added.

So he has been told that he can only play 3 nights but is refusing.

He will play various stadia - how many 5 nights in a row will he have ?? Probably none. So why insist on 5 in a row in Dublin ? Why would Dublin be any different ?.

I d guess he d play 5 in a row in any venue if he was asked and he could sell the tickets. Remember Brooks agreed to do the 5 gigs because the demand was there. He was only satisfying demand.
People are blaming Brooks and saying he s greedy but that s daft. Brooks can tour for as long as he wants and make as much money as he wants, Croke Park or no Croke Park. I m no fan and wouldn t be attending anyway but I can understand his decision.Like 93-DY -SAM I also think there is a lot of snobbery and spitefulness about all this because he is not a 'cool' act.

orangeman

Brooks was happy with 3 to start with. Then he sold 5 but told the fans etc to feck off when he could get only 3.

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on July 15, 2014, 10:05:26 PM
Brooks was happy with 3 to start with. Then he sold 5 but told the fans etc to feck off when he could get only 3.

Can t understand that spin. Things changed. He did not anticipate the massive demand. But he had to cater for 5 shows and 400,000 punters. That s what was applied for and it should have been granted or refused. He ended up in an impossible position and I would have done the same as he did. Surely DCC realised the consequences when they decided to mess around with the application. Any act with any integrity would have done the same rather than disappoint 40% of the punters ( and spare me the bit about disappointing all of them). Effectively DCC deliberately scuttled the event or were extremely naive. This idea of offering a compromise 3 and then 4 gigs is incompetence of the highest order. They painted themselves into a corner I m afraid.

imtommygunn

orangeman

Was Brook's original deal for 2,3, or 5 concerts ? If he originally signed up to 2 or 3 concerts, he should have honoured that deal. 5 was a completely different deal surely ?

The conspiracy theorist in me says that the government in light of this will conduct a review of the planning process and the residents might not have the same power or influence when the rules change as they inevitably will.

Then when the rules change Croke Park and the promoters can apply for a licence and the objections of the residents might not carry the same weight as it does now. If 40% of the objectors are bogus, that could be a bit of a problem.

orangeman

Not that it matters a big pile but Dublin city manager owns a house in Clonliffe near to Croke Park. Just saying like.  :) :)

moysider

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 15, 2014, 10:24:20 PM
When was it actually applied for though?

5 gig event obviously. That is what was put to the council I assume. They hardly would put in a multiple choice 2/3/4 application? The DCC fucked up this big time by acting cute. They thought they would appease the residents that moan and get a compromise event on. Fair play to the yank. At least he saw through the usual Irish solution to an Irish problem. Bullshit. The problem was presented as a bully trying to get a way past legistlation. It turns out there was no legistlation to prevent the concerts! unbelievable. And it s as if he didn t know that before he made his decision. You couldn t make it up.
Dublin CC must be some rolling in cash.

Lets see.

Golden Goose: Listen Dublin/Ireland I can lay ye 5 golden eggs - all solid boss.

DCC: No. We can t cater with that amount of gold at all. 3 golden eggs is all we can deal with now. The country is awash with gold and we can do without the bother of much more.

Golden Goose: Well lads, its the five eggs or none. Else I ll have to lay my eggs elsewhere.

DCC: Keep yer gilden f**king eggs. We don t need them. We re a rich city already, we are. Besides, we don t like the sound of you re honks.