Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Tweeted by the Kerryman paper - A powerful american, a small island nation, a deadline before ships must turn around. Cuban missile crisis 2? #garthbrookscrokepark  ;D

Kidder81

What's the obsession with Garth Brooks, he is pathetic

muppet

This saga has it all.

Non-resident-residents' protests,
Country bumpkins versus inner city nimbys,
achey breakey * pining line dancers,
toyless perambulators,
Cowboys and Endians,

and that is all just in the Dail.

* I know it isn't him but it all sounds the same to me.

MWWSI 2017

Tyrone Dreamer

It's starting to look like the so called residents who went out of their way to get the concerts cancelled are close to admitting that it was due to other issues and nothing to do with inconvenience of the concerts. The man who was going to court to get the 3 remaining concerts cancelled has now dropped the case in the hope that brooks will still play the 3 of them. He's also said his main issue was with the gaa and he's satisfied now that his point is made.

The council cancelled these on the basis that they were damaging the lives of the residents. I'm not sure how much research was done on this. It looks like a small portion of the residents are using concerts and the use of croke park to try and get as much out of the gaa as they can.

Rossfan

Quote from: EC Unique on July 09, 2014, 08:34:11 PM
He is calling their bluff. Let's wait and see who caves in.
Whose bluff exactly?
The Council's decision can't be changed or appealed, the Govt. are hardly going to pass a new Law ( which of course could be challenged in the Courts and delayed for months anyway) to overturn a Council's Planning decision after the Mahon Tribunal etc.
Only one bluffing appears to be Brooks who is cutting off his 3 Concert nose to spite his own fans.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

EC Unique

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2014, 09:02:02 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 09, 2014, 08:34:11 PM
He is calling their bluff. Let's wait and see who caves in.
Whose bluff exactly?
The Council's decision can't be changed or appealed, the Govt. are hardly going to pass a new Law ( which of course could be challenged in the Courts and delayed for months anyway) to overturn a Council's Planning decision after the Mahon Tribunal etc.
Only one bluffing appears to be Brooks who is cutting off his 3 Concert nose to spite his own fans.

We will see ;)

moysider

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 09, 2014, 07:53:52 PM
What's the obsession with Garth Brooks, he is pathetic

I m no fan myself either but 400,000 people obviously don t think he is pathetic.

Story in today s Indo reminding us that Liam Mulvihill was considering pulling out of Croke Park back in '89 because they were being held to ransom with astronomical land prices. He was threatening to move to a green field site and the bluff worked and they got their land.
I bet they wish now they had moved. Then they could use their property whenever and however they wished without being dictated to by the usual minority of busybodies that exist everywhere. No amount of old history with the location is worth this hassle. And there isn t that much to it anyway.

foxcommander

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 09, 2014, 08:57:40 PM
He's also said his main issue was with the gaa and he's satisfied now that his point is made.

What a way to make a point. Who said begrudgery is dead in Ireland ?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Bord na Mona man

I'd say a lot of the residents who went against the concert are shocked that they got the plug pulled on them and never intended it to go this far.
For example, every time there is a constitutional referendum, you'll get a radical fringe element who start applying for last minute High Court injunctions to get them stopped. I'd say knowing full well it's not going to succeed, but doing it for posturing and attention seeking purposes.

Could the Croke Park classic American Football game get cancelled if they start kicking up?

Bord na Mona man

Tough decision for Enda.
400,000 punters, maybe 250,000 who are registered voters will be happy if he swings the concerts.
A couple of hundred inner city Dubliners who are unlikely to ever vote Fine Gael won't be.

macdanger2

The money involved should have no influence on whether the concert goes ahead or not, the Dail / council are in place to legislate, the civil service is there to implement legislation. Legislation doesn't come with a caveat that if you're providing enough cash, you can ignore the rules. It's that type of two-tiered approach that got us into the mess we're in now

Zulu

QuoteYouse are embarrassing yourselves lads, Brooks doesn't give one shite about Ireland or all that sail in her. His interest in Ireland and all you mugs that paid through the nose for tickets, is that some record company rep did his market research and flagged this sod as a captive market.

Has anyone ever suggested different?

BennyHarp

This sums up both sides of the argument very well.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyh0WED8jGo
That was never a square ball!!

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

So are they back on, or not. I was quite looking forward to the €140 back in my account. Ah well, still get the brownie points if they go ahead,