Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddgnhand

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 09, 2014, 06:52:17 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2014, 06:43:01 AM
No one escapes blame here,particularly GAA and my old school chum Peter Aitken who both assumed that flashing euro signs would be sufficient to gain any amount of licences.
If he was your old school chum, you'd think you'd know his name.

He's always name dropping. Pathetic really.

Under Lights

Heard this morning that refunds would be automatically processed to ticketmaster account holders. That's fine for me but in the case where someone bought tickets- sold them- they are getting the money from the sale plus the refund.
Mess.

macdanger2

Quote from: Under Lights on July 09, 2014, 08:41:45 AM
Heard this morning that refunds would be automatically processed to ticketmaster account holders. That's fine for me but in the case where someone bought tickets- sold them- they are getting the money from the sale plus the refund.
Mess.

Not sure Aiken are liable for that, tickets are probably sold on condition of no resale. Complete balls for anyone who bought online though

Under Lights

Heard a chap on the radio last night, a mini bus driver, has bookings for the 5 nights- people paid deposits- he spent them- was of the attitude of 'here I'll still drive them to Dublin if they want'.
Class.

Zip Code

Who gets the 6 month interest on the 22 million yoyos!

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on July 09, 2014, 09:29:15 AM
He spent the 'deposit'?

Aye he had the mini bus booked for the 5 nights. Say for example it was €40 a head, he took €20 a head deposit x say 20 people x 5 nights which is €2000. He says he has the deposit spent long ago.

There will be plenty tales of woe like that.

Premier Emperor

The motivation behind the residents bringing this event crashing down was because they are going to lose their bar on the new plans for the handball centre.

What providing a boozer for locals has to do with promoting GAA is beyond me. Most of them have no interest in GAA, or are anti-GAA. I'd say their knowledge of handball would be laughable.

I'd be delighted to see the place bulldozed in the morning after this fiasco. Let them find a different pub. 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 09, 2014, 09:52:52 AM
The motivation behind the residents bringing this event crashing down was because they are going to lose their bar on the new plans for the handball centre.

What providing a boozer for locals has to do with promoting GAA is beyond me. Most of them have no interest in GAA, or are anti-GAA. I'd say their knowledge of handball would be laughable.

I'd be delighted to see the place bulldozed in the morning after this fiasco. Let them find a different pub.

you need to go down there and see what they use the current handball centre for.
parties, funeral receptions etc
space is used for dancing classes, martial arts and other stuff.

ballinaman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 09, 2014, 09:52:52 AM

This must be a very difficult time for you. My sympathies.
I hope you'll be ok if Tipp get to Croker this year, you'll probably be overwhelmed by rage by the time you pass Gills pub. Call in for a cupán tae to settle the nerves...PM for my address.

macdanger2

Quote from: orangeman on July 09, 2014, 09:39:43 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 09, 2014, 09:29:15 AM
He spent the 'deposit'?

Aye he had the mini bus booked for the 5 nights. Say for example it was €40 a head, he took €20 a head deposit x say 20 people x 5 nights which is €2000. He says he has the deposit spent long ago.

There will be plenty tales of woe like that.

Is that not what a "deposit" is for - if the people are now cancelling his service then hard luck. If they are local to his area, it may not do much for his business though

meatsy86

I wonder now where the bid for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup stands, Surely after this no-one could ever trust our country to host a massive occasion whether it be sporting or musical. If we were ever to be successful with this bid and the Semi-final was due to be staged at Croke Park would the Residents kick-up and request that Dublin City Council refuse a licence for the event. An absolute shame and disgrace.

Would surely get the IRB thinking now on whether they could ever trust our country to host the RWC 2023 successfully.

Not a bit of wonder people are emigrating all over the world. Certainly has me thinking in that frame of mind.

Such a backward country we live in.

Brick Tamlin

Really?
Garth Brooks shows being pulled would put ye in the frame of mind to leave the country?

bcarrier

I am outraged by the level of outrage. A bigger deal that the bank guarantee ::).

At same time I have no idea why the licensing of concerts should have anything to do with the planning process. Croke Park is a multiple functional stadium and playing a few concerts hardly amounts to a change of use. Some of the residents quite clearly revel in the fight and posturing opportunity that the current legal structure/planning framework gives them. The operation of buildings for intended use shouldnt be a planning issue.

In my opinion a  more appropriate control measure would be the application of some kind of additional taxation (property tax/rates ?) on Croke Park's commercial activity which could be collected by Dublin City Council and administered back to appropriate local communities  - something like the  £500,000 Garth Brook legacy fund that was talked about - but on an ongoing and formal basis.