Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: charlieTully on July 08, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
brooks management and lawyers knew that it was all subject to licence, they should have honoured the agreement and played whatever shows a licence was granted for.

Good point - if the tickets are sold "subject to licence" and a licence was granted for the first three, are Aiken / Garth not in breach of their contract with people who have tickets for the first three nights??

Wildweasel74

Has anybody a list of clubs which got money from the GAA last year for works to their facilities, was it a grant or a loan?
Very few clubs in Derry have really benefited from much out of croke park (maybe the county team), if it wasn't for lotto funding up here in Derry and other clubs in Ulster, half our club facilities would still be back in the dark ages.

So i ain't buying the Brooks concerts putting money back into the local scene, though "Don't Matter" be quick to point out any money which does would end up In a  Dublin club lol

Maguire01

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2014, 07:47:46 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on July 08, 2014, 07:43:10 PM
brooks management and lawyers knew that it was all subject to licence, they should have honoured the agreement and played whatever shows a licence was granted for.

Good point - if the tickets are sold "subject to licence" and a licence was granted for the first three, are Aiken / Garth not in breach of their contract with people who have tickets for the first three nights??
No. All such tickets come with a truck-load of small print.

easytiger95

Definitely think that if vast numbers of international artists can visit here without this kind of hassle, then Brooks/Aiken etc have overplayed their hand considerably. If Brooks really "loved" the place why not do a 20 night residency in the Point like Christy Moore did? I'd find this all considerably easy to process if Brooks/Aiken admitted it was all about economies of scale and 5 concerts add up financially - 3 concerts don't. Rather than having to hear about it being "like choosing between children" and "not feeling welcome in Ireland". I'd judge your welcome Garth by the fact you sold out 400,000 tickets - your fans played their part. Your part was to make sure you had a license and not to antagonize the local community. Eejit.

That said, residents and objectors have not covered themselves in glory - neither have the GAA. If the roots of all this are in an internecine struggle about the ownership and control of the handball club, then McKenna and co should make sure Alannis Morrissette is the next act to play Croker, and that she opens up with "Ironic".

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 08, 2014, 07:39:08 PM
Brooks has thrown the toys outta the pram and I'm glad the useless, washed up bullshit merchant has been forced to cancel the concerts. He plainly (and as turns, rightly) assumed he could pick Ireland as a country where he could peddle his shite to the culchies, make millions from people who would lap it up like only Irish people do. Oh look someone famous wants to visit - lets feckin make complete morons of ourselves to the world by turning out in droves to see a man who hasn't written a new song in 20 years and show everyone how brilliant supporters we are. No amount of money injected into the Irish economy is worth the embarrassment of it all. We have suffered enough.

Are you even serious?

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 08, 2014, 07:58:12 PM
Definitely think that if vast numbers of international artists can visit here without this kind of hassle, then Brooks/Aiken etc have overplayed their hand considerably. If Brooks really "loved" the place why not do a 20 night residency in the Point like Christy Moore did? I'd find this all considerably easy to process if Brooks/Aiken admitted it was all about economies of scale and 5 concerts add up financially - 3 concerts don't. Rather than having to hear about it being "like choosing between children" and "not feeling welcome in Ireland". I'd judge your welcome Garth by the fact you sold out 400,000 tickets - your fans played their part. Your part was to make sure you had a license and not to antagonize the local community. Eejit.

That said, residents and objectors have not covered themselves in glory - neither have the GAA. If the roots of all this are in an internecine struggle about the ownership and control of the handball club, then McKenna and co should make sure Alannis Morrissette is the next act to play Croker, and that she opens up with "Ironic".

People can go around quoting 'economies of scale' all they want but it doesn't deflect from the fact Brooks is bout to embark on a world tour with likely many single night concerts at stadiums and large venues. As a reason your's is factually incorrect.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hereiam

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 08, 2014, 05:25:48 PM
If there is a lesson in all of this, it's this - if you are planning an event which requires planning permission for it to happen, then make sure you get it first before you sell any tickets for it! Whatever the concerns of (some of) the residents near Croke Park, the handling of this by the PnCT & Aiken Promotions reeked of the cute hoorism from the latter Celtic Tiger days, where dodgy developers were in cahoots with politicans and civil servants, offering brown envelopes to give nudges and winks to build unfinished ghost estates in the middle of nowhere and shoeboxes for flats that didn't meet regulations. They tried to play a game of brinkmanship with the late submission for licence against objectors and didn't get what they wanted. Greed did them in the end, had they stuck to the original two or three nights and then attempted to organise another concert for a couple of nights elsewhere in the country later in the summer they would have far more likely got everything sorted.
I feel sorry for those that had tickets, hotels booked etc. for these concerts, but the blame here lies with the orangisers and if he really did try the "five or nathin'" brinkmanship call, Brooks himself for the three concerts that had been licenced.

That's it all in a nutshell!

Moortown Spuds

I bought tickets at a inflated price from a girl I know (not a friend)-should I be expecting to get the inflated amount back or the face value?

And before you all laugh at me, I got caught up in the hype and felt like a p*ick as soon as I parted with the £££.

Wildweasel74

Big Garth to be barred out of any orphanages encase he cant choose between them and enforces his policy its them all or none, saying we all his children!!

theskull1

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on July 08, 2014, 08:43:13 PM
I bought tickets at a inflated price from a girl I know (not a friend)-should I be expecting to get the inflated amount back or the face value?

And before you all laugh at me, I got caught up in the hype and felt like a p*ick as soon as I parted with the £££.

And how do you feel having asked that question?  :o

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: theskull1 on July 08, 2014, 08:54:24 PM

And how do you feel having asked that question?  :o

Not great but was actually looking some advice. Thanks for your valuable input.

BennyHarp

This is the sort of thing I was alluding to in my post.
That was never a square ball!!

BennyHarp

GAA statement.

"The GAA and Croke Park Stadium note with much regret the confirmation that none of the Garth Brooks concerts scheduled for later this month will now take place. The GAA shares the intense disappointment of the 400,000 people who have purchased tickets.

"Croke Park Stadium has worked closely with Aiken Promotions in its efforts to stage a unique series of concerts which would have represented an exciting national event and a joyful summer celebration. From the outset Croke Park Stadium, as it does with the planning of all events staged in Croke Park, and with a view to avoiding surprise late difficulties, engaged fully with Dublin City Council officials and addressed comprehensively every issue presented during this planning process. At no stage were we given any indication that a licence was likely to be refused for any of the five concerts.

"The GAA has made clear its acceptance of mediator Kieran Mulvey's report on the long-term management of concerts and special events in Croke Park. We wish to acknowledge Mr Mulvey's exceptional efforts over the past few days to resolve the issues raised by the refusal of a licence for the fourth and fifth concerts. The GAA is very encouraged by the emergence in recent days of groups of residents in the Croke Park area who share our wish for a positive continuing engagement with the Croke Park Stadium; we look forward to working with them on the recommendations of the Mulvey Report."

- See more at: http://gaeliclife.com/2014/07/gaa-statement-on-cancellation-of-garth-brooks-concerts/#sthash.BI8vv2XA.dpuf
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

The few million I refer to is the expected bonus to the city from this but I presume you knew that??

What exactly is it here that's so important that the Taoiseach should intervene in?? Or what is it that he should do??

I'd hope that when he invited companies to do business here that he wasn't saying that he would personally intervene to change any rules which might put them out