Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2014, 04:02:25 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 08, 2014, 03:58:52 PM
Regardless of the rights/wrongs of this, this could only happen in Ireland. And I don't mean that in a nice way.

Let's keep a sense of perspective. Shit happens everywhere. Can we give the cultural cringe stuff a miss?

I can't see where this is cultural cringe. We have 400,000 people paid to go for a series of concerts that couldn't go ahead. Its like buying voting machines that don't vote.

If it was in a Father Ted episode we'd all have a great laugh at it.

No one has died but we'll be in the international headlines again.

And I couldn't care too much about Brooks or his music to actually care about missing the concert.

Shamrock Shore

First Jedward get rescued
Then Longford get rogered by Tipp
Then I invest in 145,000 pink stetsons.

Now this!  >:(

5 Sams

Good luck to those people who bought tickets from someone who bought them from Ticketmaster. Interesting to see how that will work. Imagine if you bought two tickets of E Bay even at face value. Who gets the refund? The original buyer who will have a receipt from ticketmaster or the poor b*stard with two tickets?
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 08, 2014, 04:11:15 PM
Good luck to those people who bought tickets from someone who bought them from Ticketmaster. Interesting to see how that will work. Imagine if you bought two tickets of E Bay even at face value. Who gets the refund? The original buyer who will have a receipt from ticketmaster or the poor b*stard with two tickets?

Serves ya right for buying tickets for that crap lol ;)  Though if you bought them as present for someone you'd have to go through all that shit to get your money back. Pity Casement wasn't ready....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Under Lights

What the hell am I going to do with 10,000 of these

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on July 08, 2014, 04:09:25 PM
I can't see where this is cultural cringe. We have 400,000 people paid to go for a series of concerts that couldn't go ahead. Its like buying voting machines that don't vote.

And I couldn't care too much about Brooks or his music to actually care about missing the concert.

It wouldn't be hard to find examples of daft things happening in other countries. Remember all the stories of chaos around the time the euro was introduced? You didn't have any of that in Ireland. Sure, there will be international headlines, but they'll soon be overtaken by whatever Kimye are up to.

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on July 08, 2014, 04:13:57 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 08, 2014, 04:09:25 PM

It wouldn't be hard to find examples of daft things happening in other countries. Remember all the stories of chaos around the time the euro was introduced? You didn't have any of that in Ireland. Sure, there will be international headlines, but they'll soon be overtaken by whatever Kimye are up to.

Tune into Joe Duffy tomorrow and you'll see how serious this is  :)

In fairness, I just think its cringeworthy and on a such a scale that it an awful lot of people are going to be out of pocket.

whiskeysteve

From RTE:

QuoteIt had been estimated that the five concerts would have generated up to €50m in revenue, with the RAI saying the restaurant industry expected to take in €15m.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Shamrock Shore

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

The Bearded One

I know several sports clubs/organisations who have held raffles to win tickets to one of the shows.

How are they going to refund punters who bought tickets to enter in good faith??
It is what it is. Presumably.

EC Unique

How Irish! What a stupid bunch of fcuk wits! :D :D :D

I would say there are a few serious crisis meetings going on in Dublin as we speak. This story is not over yet but it is comedy gold. :D

Feel sorry for the ordinary punters that have been screwed.

dec

Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 03:57:34 PM
Fair play to him...

Dublin have made some b*lls of this

Aiken and Garth have nothing to answer for

They sold tickets for an event without finding out if they would actually be able to hold the event.

Crete Boom

So is this ( not taking into account that Aitken/Garth Brook wanted to cash in) all over the row over the ownership structure of the new community center between Croke park and the Handball association?

magpie seanie

Quote from: dec on July 08, 2014, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 08, 2014, 03:57:34 PM
Fair play to him...

Dublin have made some b*lls of this

Aiken and Garth have nothing to answer for

They sold tickets for an event without finding out if they would actually be able to hold the event.

Read up a little on it before you make silly statements like that.

Tony Baloney

There will be pitchforks out in Dublin yet. Luckily most of Garth's fans will have one at home.

Can't see this being the end of it.