Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 07, 2014, 05:26:33 PM
These feckin residents don't know they want!

Yesterday they were protesting for 5 concerts to go ahead. Today they're away down to the Four Courts seeking an injunction to stop any of them goin ahead!!

I just wish they'd make their minds up FFS

Irish Times
"Injunction proceedings were formally lodged at the High Court this afternoon aimed at preventing any of the Garth Brooks shows which had been scheduled for Croke Park later this month from going ahead.

The proceedings are brought in the name of Brian Duff, whose solicitor is named as Anthony Fay, the solicitor acting for some residents of the Croke Park area."

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/court-bid-lodged-to-stop-all-five-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1858325

I imagine its very much like this great scene from The Life of Brian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE&feature=kp

Jeepers Creepers

They were all given free tickets for the cancelled nights.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteRTÉ News@rtenews  ·  7m

Dublin City councillors have voted narrowly in favour of calling for five Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 07, 2014, 05:13:56 PM

BM bought a Garth Brooks CD at a car boot sale over the weekend and has had a change of heart over the gigs. That's him at the front in the hat and his running vest.
;D  ;D ;D

Good lord....some creatures in this debacle.

BennyCake

Have it in Dungannon Park. Then the 400,00 fans won't need to travel any distance.

moysider

I was always against the redevelopment of Croke Park.

A green field site should have been picked. To have this facility and not been able to use it is risible. With attendences at games so miserable this is an income we cannot afford to lose. To be restricted to 3 gigs or something a year is a laugh. It should be in a location where resident groups would not be an issue.

Tip of the iceberg imo. I expect the number of games played in Croke Park will come under scrutiny now as well.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2014, 11:25:49 PM

A green field site should have been picked. To have this facility and not been able to use it is risible. With attendences at games so miserable this is an income we cannot afford to lose. To be restricted to 3 gigs or something a year is a laugh. It should be in a location where resident groups would not be an issue.

Tip of the iceberg imo. I expect the number of games played in Croke Park will come under scrutiny now as well.

Think it's pretty clear this will swing the other way, the residents' popular support has faded hugely with this debacle and the government must be privately mortified at how this looks. The regulations will be seriously edited when all this dies down.

For all its flaws there's a magic about Jones' Road and its place in GAA history that I wouldn't ever change. Bar buying out and levelling a few streets of houses.

orangeman

Out of curiosity, has the Croke park walk around the roof of the stadium been a success or not ?

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2014, 11:25:49 PM

Match days are not a problem here whatsoever.
Barriers are up from about hour and a half before first game and down usually 45 mins after game has ended. Not much disruption at all. No trouble from crowds at all. So you're talking 5 hrs typically on a Sunday. Don't know if they could play any more games here with current championship and league formats..

Clinker

Quote from: orangeman on July 08, 2014, 12:12:25 AM
Out of curiosity, has the Croke park walk around the roof of the stadium been a success or not ?

Were plastic bullets a success or not?

Was the Plantation of Ulster a success or not?

Was Ballyseedy a success or not?

Were the Drumboe murders in Donegal a success or not?

WT4E

So is it confirmed? Three gigs only?

Now they're away to beg Garth to still do it!

:o

manfromdelmonte

A lot of this is that the security firms and Gardai go overboard with the security barriers before games and events imho

Go to the premiership and games in residential places like Goodison, Anfield etc and they don't put the place on lockdown

joemamas

You may have a point there, I was watching the Meath V Kildare game on TV, I noticed that there were somewhere between 20 and 30 "security men" facing hill 16 from the field, FFS there were as many of them as supporters on the hill for nearly an hour and a half.

ballinaman

screenexile