Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

But we all agree that 3 nights in a row is plenty don't we?

I haven't tickets......is this skewing my perspective I wonder?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

orangeman

The concert promoter Peter Aiken has said a decision will be made on Tuesday on whether any of the planned Garth Brooks' concerts in Dublin will go ahead.

The US star was due to stage five shows at Croke Park stadium on 25 to 29 July.

Dublin City Council said on Friday that it could not reverse its decision on only allowing three of the concerts to go ahead.

Mr Aiken said he was working to try to get all five concerts staged.

He told RTÉ's radio programme The Business that Aiken Promotions were working "behind the scenes" with the authorities at Croke Park.

Mr Aiken said a final decision would be made on Monday or Tuesday, but said he still had hope that all five would go ahead.

When the council refused permission for two of the dates, Brooks said on Thursday he would do "five shows or none at all".

The US singer compared having to choose between concert dates to being asked "to choose one child over another".
The singer said he had "faith that Dublin City Council will make the best decision for the people of Ireland".

muppet

Recently, a developer resubmitted planning for a load of houses near me. A few decent councillors contacted the residents for their opinions. There were many viewpoints, but the overwhelming majority of people focussed on one issue, they wanted the developer to be prohibited from commencing a new development until he had finished, or tidied up, the ghost estate he left rotting beside us for the last 8 years.

The council agreed and made it a restriction on the new development going ahead.

The developer laughed and went to An Bord Pleanála.

They told the developer to do whatever he liked and f*ck the locals.

Aiken should simply go to An Bord Pleanála and ask for 365 concerts.
MWWSI 2017

THE MIGHTY QUINN

You would. You'd also be lobbying for things like street lighting etc

orangeman

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: orangeman on July 06, 2014, 08:43:47 AM
I don't know the intricacies of both but there seem to be some similarities between Casement social club and the handball club ?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/community-group-rejected-deal-to-end-croke-park-row-30409649.html

not really.
the article doesn't mention that the handball centre is used for a load of other stuff - irish dancing, martial arts, darts, pool, parties, funeral receptions.
as well as handball (though the GAA has run down the centre in the last 15 years in the hope of clearing it)

ONeill

HS's a deadly man for the street lighting right enough.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

easytiger95

But what can a poor boy do
Except to sing for a rock 'n' roll band
Cause in sleepy Dublin town
There's just no place for a street lighting man

Under Lights

I predict all 5 gigs go ahead. Seen some residents petitioning for them to go ahead.

balladmaker

Garth Brooks press conference arranged for Thursday, all will be clear by then hopefully ... but unitl then ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7AowFrFu0

johnneycool

Quote from: balladmaker on July 07, 2014, 04:46:21 PM
Garth Brooks press conference arranged for Thursday, all will be clear by then hopefully.

Great, I'll not sleep properly before I hear from the fat fúcker big man!!
:o

Bingo

BM bought a Garth Brooks CD at a car boot sale over the weekend and has had a change of heart over the gigs. That's him at the front in the hat and his running vest.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on July 07, 2014, 05:13:56 PM

BM bought a Garth Brooks CD at a car boot sale over the weekend and has had a change of heart over the gigs. That's him at the front in the hat and his running vest.

Looks like the thunder rolls in them clouds behind...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Lecale2

These feckin residents don't know they want!

Yesterday they were protesting for 5 concerts to go ahead. Today they're away down to the Four Courts seeking an injunction to stop any of them goin ahead!!

I just wish they'd make their minds up FFS

Irish Times
"Injunction proceedings were formally lodged at the High Court this afternoon aimed at preventing any of the Garth Brooks shows which had been scheduled for Croke Park later this month from going ahead.

The proceedings are brought in the name of Brian Duff, whose solicitor is named as Anthony Fay, the solicitor acting for some residents of the Croke Park area."

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/court-bid-lodged-to-stop-all-five-garth-brooks-concerts-1.1858325