Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 04, 2014, 09:24:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 12:00:31 AM
Casement residents & Croke Park residents would be fairly closely linked.
Sinn Fein are lurking in the background agitating a lot of this.

prove it

haranguerer

Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 09:41:04 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 04, 2014, 09:25:18 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 08:58:37 AM
Do the OO generally wreck the place? I'd say concert goers do a better job at that.

Also, there is an agreement here. One side is just looking to break it this time, hence the row.

I understand you are very sympathetic due to the social club situation, but you shouldnt let it cloud your senses to the extent that you latch on to stupid analogies. But to use the one you have latched onto, the OO would be more Garth Brooks, and I think its unlikely he'll p*ss in anyones garden. And I'd have much more faith in concert goers not wrecking the place, than I would those supporters that follow the parades. There is a fair bit of evidence that would support that view too.

If there is an agreement, then certainly, it should have been honoured. And if there wasn't an agreement, then there should have been .

You would think though, that people would start writing these agreements down - its been an accepted way of recording such for centuries, and would save an awful lot of hassle, in an awful lot of instances.
To be fair, you brought up the OO, not me. Also, I don't think the OO are wanting their supporters to be walking up the Crumlin Road, just their bands, who are very unlikely to do any wrecking.

Na, I was responding to a few posts which had brought it up.

The point is, there needs to be agreement, and it needs to be nailed down, so that there can be no ambiguity. I dont want to see anyone walked over, but neither do I want to see a situation like this.

NAG1

Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 09:42:37 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 04, 2014, 12:00:31 AM
Casement residents & Croke Park residents would be fairly closely linked.
Really? Casement residents & Sinn Fein are very far apart on this issue.

Probably the single dumbest post of the day.

It was a SF minister that approved the funding for Casement and they pushed for it to be in West Belfast.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Derry CCC have fixed some of the senior hurling championship games midweek to allow players to attend Garth Brooks(or Gareth Brooks as they called him)
Now I have no major problem with that in itself but it flies in the face of everything they have done before.

Can you imagine if the matches were due to clash with Oxygen for example. There is no way matches would be re-arranged. Country Bumkinism gone mad.

Clinker

They lost a council seat in the Casement area to People Before Profit over the current plans for Casement.
Stop making up rubbish.

balladmaker

So DCC say it's 3 concerts and not 5
Garth says its 5 concerts or none at all
Aiken is saying not an awful lot other than Garth is devastated.
The only say that matters is that of DCC.

Well, Mr. Aiken, it is your business that is the cause of Garth's devastation (I'm sure he'll get over it).  Time to pony up and refund all tickets for the Monday and Tuesday night, rather than trying to get a second decision by bringing pressure onto DCC and the residents.  You'll know for the next time not to sell something that you had no right to sell.

And yes, I'm speaking as a holder of 2 tickets for the Tuesday night.  Given the negativity around the whole event now, I'd prefer a refund than going to a rearranged show.  It isn't on for the event promoter to play dumb saying they don't know what the situation currently is ... it's pretty obvious to everyone else that 2 shows are cancelled.

Zip Code

If they switch to AVIVA can folk refuse to go and still get refunds?

NAG1

Quote from: balladmaker on July 04, 2014, 11:18:55 AM

Well, Mr. Aiken, it is your business that is the cause of Garth's devastation (I'm sure he'll get over it).  Time to pony up and refund all tickets for the Monday and Tuesday night, rather than trying to get a second decision by bringing pressure onto DCC and the residents.  You'll know for the next time not to sell something that you had no right to sell.

And yes, I'm speaking as a holder of 2 tickets for the Tuesday night.  Given the negativity around the whole event now, I'd prefer a refund than going to a rearranged show.  It isn't on for the event promoter to play dumb saying they don't know what the situation currently is ... it's pretty obvious to everyone else that 2 shows are cancelled.

Just wondering what the craic would be for those that have hotels booked and made other financial commitments around attending the concerts, can they seek compensation or is it a tough luck story for them too?

Zip Code

Surely you can just cancel the hotel and incur no financial loss.

thebigfella

Quote from: NAG1 on July 04, 2014, 11:26:11 AM

Just wondering what the craic would be for those that have hotels booked and made other financial commitments around attending the concerts, can they seek compensation or is it a tough luck story for them too?

No, tickets/event was promoted and sold subject to license. It's in the terms of sale and unfortunately tough luck.

balladmaker

I'd say that it's down to the policy of the hotel or whoever they booked with.  If hotels etc. showed good faith, then they might be ok, but that would be a longshot. 

On the other hand, Aiken should do the right thing and compensate, as people are out of money as a result of Aiken Promotions selling the gig. 

Did they break the law by selling the gig?

Zip Code

All hotels have a cancellation policy, some 24 hours some 48 hours - so can't see how you would be charged.

Under Lights

Quote from: NAG1 on July 04, 2014, 11:26:11 AM

Head down for a dirty few nights with the Mrs regardless.

balladmaker

QuoteAll hotels have a cancellation policy, some 24 hours some 48 hours - so can't see how you would be charged.

Depends the rate that you would have booked on.  Some are advance purchase to get the best rate, meaning there is no refund once paid for.

thebigfella

If Garth is so devastated and wants to not disappoint his fans, I have a solution. He is allowed to perform the 2 shows and all profits after costs go to an agreed upon charity/charities (not the residents fund). If it's all about the fans, let him put his money where his mouth is; otherwise the greedy fat fcuk should shut up and settle for the 3 dates.

Either way he's not going to cancel the 3 concerts and lose out on the cash. There are very few other countries he can sell his bog merchant tripe, so he be best ripping off people performing where he can.