Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Hereiam on July 03, 2014, 10:50:05 PM
Akien's has a get out clause - on the tickets it states "subject to licence" so does this mean there will be no refund.
No.

INDIANA

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2014, 10:48:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2014, 10:46:08 PM
No sympathy for Croke Park on this one. They were unbelievably arrogant in assuming they'd get planning for this.

Its their fault and nobody else's. Not fair to blame the residents in my view.
Once again... it isn't Croke Park's responsibility to secure a licence, it's the promoter's.

They had their quota of 3 concerts. they pushed their luck.

manfromdelmonte

I blame GAA employee Peter McKenna for a lot of this

He has been picking fights with the local residents and being very antagonistic over their community centre in the Irish Handball centre for the last 5 years. The GAA have deliberately run down the building (no maintenance or investment) in order to get hold of the land it sits on.
He has no goodwill amongst the locals (some of whom are involved in handball)

rrhf

I understand the frustrations of some genuine locals, and it is entirely understandable that brooks will call the whole set of gigs off which is no bluff or bully tactic.  This has happened and that's that. It is equally as amazing to see those laughing at the gaa on this who are supposed gaa people.  This is a major loss of revenue to a struggling Ireland and  an ever expanding association and whilst the promoter will have his behind covered on this the gaa might not.  There could be lots of court action yet and it could cost millions to rectify.  Residents who live around an 80k stadium should not have the say anymore in what's good for the country or not.  Does that mean they are offered a one off movement incentive and   I'd imagine the stadium manager will be the fall guy here and may currently be in an untenable position.. brooks will move on and play somewhere else and that will be that.  Casement park better watch out.   Madness and shows how well this country had been run.

BennyCake

"I have faith that Dublin City Council will make the best decision for the people of Ireland."

That would mean no concerts, wouldn't it?  ;D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: Hereiam on July 03, 2014, 10:02:13 PM
I say if it get Dregish GFC a level pitch then let them play 365 days a year.
Best quote on this thread. This is what it is all about. Croke Park has the potential to earn money which can be pumped back into the game at grassroots level. To lister to some of the gloaters on here you'd swear the GAA was drinking the money

BennyCake

Itchy

I'd rather have drunken Dublin fans pissing in my letterbox rather than have to hear that horrible git playing 5 nights in a row on my door step. Ive no doubt his threat to not play at all is a bluff. He wouldn't get crowds like that anywhere else.

BennyHarp

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on July 03, 2014, 11:19:20 PM
Best quote on this thread. This is what it is all about. Croke Park has the potential to earn money which can be pumped back into the game at grassroots level. To lister to some of the gloaters on here you'd swear the GAA was drinking the money

I misread that quote first time round and thought it was suggesting that Brooks could play his concerts in Dregish. Maybe that is a solution?
That was never a square ball!!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: hardstation on July 03, 2014, 11:22:15 PM

True. We really need you, Garth.

What a fcukin failure we are.......we've now turned to whoring.
You are a very angry man

ONeill

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on July 03, 2014, 11:29:26 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 03, 2014, 11:22:15 PM

True. We really need you, Garth.

What a fcukin failure we are.......we've now turned to whoring.
You are a very angry man

He's not. This isn't important. Really.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

give her dixie

Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2014, 10:57:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2014, 10:48:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2014, 10:46:08 PM
No sympathy for Croke Park on this one. They were unbelievably arrogant in assuming they'd get planning for this.

Its their fault and nobody else's. Not fair to blame the residents in my view.
Once again... it isn't Croke Park's responsibility to secure a licence, it's the promoter's.

They had their quota of 3 concerts. they pushed their luck.

+1 To the best of my knowledge the deal with the residents was 3 concerts per year.

This year they have the 5 Brooks concerts, the One Direction gigs, and a US football game.

Didn't McKenna tell the residents that that was an old deal, and it isn't valid anymore?

Casement residents beware......

If I lived there, I would be pissed off as well.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: ballinaman on July 03, 2014, 10:35:10 PM
Nope, Garth has the hump..all 5 or none he says.

When this filters through tonight..going to be fun. We needed a new Saipan

He sounded a right knob on the news, how he really appreciates the Irish
If he did then he'd come and play his three gigs and shut his hole
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me