Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: laoislad on July 03, 2014, 02:08:39 PM
Fecking disgrace.
I think everyone should just turn up on the Monday and Tuesday night anyway just to piss the residents off.

That would be class! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Breaking : Statement from Brooks, cancelling the 5 gigs.

This should be fun

imtommygunn

All or nothing says garth.

He'd fit in well up north with those tactics...

Farrandeelin

imtommygunn

Kimbap

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2014, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2014, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2014, 09:37:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 03, 2014, 09:23:57 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2014, 09:10:28 PM

As I understand it, Croke Park had previously agreed with the residents for 3 non-GAA events per year. Someone in the GAA then decided to completely disregard this agreement and have 8 concerts plus the American football this summer.

Personally I'd be 100% on the side of the residents on this, regardless of the benefits which would be expected to trickle down
There is a bit of the Bully boy tactics here from the GAA. I guess they thought that with 160,000 people involved, the residents and the council would give in. How was it allowed to be this late before the licence was or was not granted? Did the GAA think by applying so late that the council would give into the pressure in such a situation?

Contrary to popular belief this is a victory for the common man.

Again, the fĂșcking 82,000-seater stadium didn't materialise in their back gardens over-night. You take the nice cosy de-valuation in house prices or rents when you're coming in because of the stadium and then you turn around and start back-biting at it. If you can't hack the crowds why did you choose to live there?

The GAA and the promoters shouldn't be having this sort of trouble hosting a few concerts in their own stadium, regardless of agreements. Three concerts is a tiny amount a year for the biggest stadium in the country in the first place.

It's a victory for lads with too much time on their hands.

Tbf, if the gaa agreed to 3 per year then surely they should have been willing to stand by it instead of unilaterally tripling the agreed amount. A bit of integrity when dealing with the residents would go a long way to building some sort of trust

Same as any agreement, things change. Do footballers honour their contracts? There's many, many cases of agreements being broken for expediency.

I'm sure when they agreed to three concerts there was no thought paid to the idea of Gareth Brooks being able to probably sell out a month-long stand in Croke Park.

The residents should get a better deal for themselves because the agreement needs to be changed but they shouldn't be standing in the way of it happening.

Yes,let professional footballers (I presume thats what you're rambling on about) be our moral compass.If they do it,it ok.

ballinaman

Nope, Garth has the hump..all 5 or none he says.

When this filters through tonight..going to be fun. We needed a new Saipan

Farrandeelin

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

INDIANA

No sympathy for Croke Park on this one. They were unbelievably arrogant in assuming they'd get planning for this.

Its their fault and nobody else's. Not fair to blame the residents in my view.

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on July 03, 2014, 10:46:08 PM
No sympathy for Croke Park on this one. They were unbelievably arrogant in assuming they'd get planning for this.

Its their fault and nobody else's. Not fair to blame the residents in my view.
Once again... it isn't Croke Park's responsibility to secure a licence, it's the promoter's.

Hereiam

Akien's has a get out clause - on the tickets it states "subject to licence" so does this mean there will be no refund.

ballinaman

I wonder how much interest had been earned on the ticket sales thus far? Few quid anyway