Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I couldn't give a rats ass about Garth Brooks, the people that go to see him or "the residents" whoever they are. I'm just disappointed that it means less money to be shared out among GAA clubs up and down the country to improve facilities.

WT4E

I'm only sharing a story not trying to sound 'Great'. I was one who got use of the tickets! lol

Syferus

It will be a black mark on Dublin and Ireland as a location for major concerts if the council don't cop on. Way too late in the day for this shite.

Boycey

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2014, 08:31:00 PM
It will be a black mark on Dublin and Ireland as a location for major concerts if the council don't cop on. Way too late in the day for this shite.

I have to say I'd think a solution/compromise will be reached to allow all concerts to take place but to lay the blame at the door of the council is wrong.

macdanger2

As I understand it, Croke Park had previously agreed with the residents for 3 non-GAA events per year. Someone in the GAA then decided to completely disregard this agreement and have 8 concerts plus the American football this summer.

Personally I'd be 100% on the side of the residents on this, regardless of the benefits which would be expected to trickle down

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2014, 09:10:28 PM

As I understand it, Croke Park had previously agreed with the residents for 3 non-GAA events per year. Someone in the GAA then decided to completely disregard this agreement and have 8 concerts plus the American football this summer.

Personally I'd be 100% on the side of the residents on this, regardless of the benefits which would be expected to trickle down
There is a bit of the Bully boy tactics here from the GAA. I guess they thought that with 160,000 people involved, the residents and the council would give in. How was it allowed to be this late before the licence was or was not granted? Did the GAA think by applying so late that the council would give into the pressure in such a situation?

Contrary to popular belief this is a victory for the common man.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Personally I wouldn't go to the back door the hear Garth Brooks but I think the GAA has rights as well. It has an asset that it wants to use to its full potential but the residents seem able to hold it to ransom.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 03, 2014, 09:23:57 PM

There is a bit of the Bully boy tactics here from the GAA. I guess they thought that with 160,000 people involved, the residents and the council would give in. How was it allowed to be this late before the licence was or was not granted? Did the GAA think by applying so late that the council would give into the pressure in such a situation?

Again, the fúcking 82,000-seater stadium didn't materialise in their back gardens over-night. You take the nice cosy de-valuation in house prices or rents when you're coming in because of the stadium and then you turn around and start back-biting at it. If you can't hack the crowds why did you choose to live there?

The GAA and the promoters shouldn't be having this sort of trouble hosting a few concerts in their own stadium, regardless of agreements. Three concerts is a minuscule amount a year for the biggest stadium in the country in the first place.

It's a victory for lads with too much time on their hands.

Maguire01

The GAA don't apply for any licence, that's the job of the promoter. This isn't a GAA gig - all they're doing is renting the stadium to Aiken for a fee.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2014, 09:37:40 PM

Again, the fúcking 82,000-seater stadium didn't materialise in their back gardens over-night. You take the nice cosy de-valuation in house prices or rents when you're coming in because of the stadium and then you turn around and start back-biting at it. If you can't hack the crowds why did you choose to live there?

The GAA and the promoters shouldn't be having this sort of trouble hosting a few concerts in their own stadium, regardless of agreements. Three concerts is a tiny amount a year for the biggest stadium in the country in the first place.

Tbf, if the gaa agreed to 3 per year then surely they should have been willing to stand by it instead of unilaterally tripling the agreed amount. A bit of integrity when dealing with the residents would go a long way to building some sort of trust

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 03, 2014, 09:40:29 PM

The GAA don't apply for any licence, that's the job of the promoter. This isn't a GAA gig - all they're doing is renting the stadium to Aiken for a fee.
Fair enough. Have to say I'd still think that the residents and council were being bullied!

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2014, 09:45:42 PM

The GAA and the promoters shouldn't be having this sort of trouble hosting a few concerts in their own stadium, regardless of agreements. Three concerts is a tiny amount a year for the biggest stadium in the country in the first place.

Tbf, if the gaa agreed to 3 per year then surely they should have been willing to stand by it instead of unilaterally tripling the agreed amount. A bit of integrity when dealing with the residents would go a long way to building some sort of trust

Same as any agreement, things change. Do footballers honour their contracts? There's many, many cases of agreements being broken for expediency.

I'm sure when they agreed to three concerts there was no thought paid to the idea of Gareth Brooks being able to probably sell out a month-long stand in Croke Park.

The residents should get a better deal for themselves because the agreement needs to be changed but they shouldn't be standing in the way of it happening.

Boycey

The GAA and the promoters shouldn't be having this sort of trouble hosting a few concerts in their own stadium, regardless of agreements. Three concerts is a minuscule amount a year for the biggest stadium in the country in the first place.

Thats a very narrowminded attitude.

5 nights in a row is hardly a minuscule amount of time is it? Where would you draw the line? 10 nights? 20 nights? I'm sure the disruption is pretty severe over a five day period as opposed to say a normal matchday disruption.

Hereiam

I say if it get Dregish GFC a level pitch then let them play 365 days a year.

GalwayBayBoy

This was nothing more than Croke Park and Aiken promotions trying to force through extra concerts without seeking any agreement from either the residents or the council. And getting a root up the hole for their troubles.

If you don't want to honour an agreement don't agree to it in the first place. You can't agree to 3 concerts a year and suddenly decide, f**k it, let's put on 8.