Jack O'Connor lambasts Nordieball

Started by Mike Sheehy, September 12, 2011, 07:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

from hoganstand.com

O'Connor: Defensive game wouldn't be accepted in Kerry
12 September 2011

Kerry manager Jack O'ConnorJack O'Connor has claimed that the ultra-defensive tactics adopted by Donegal this year wouldn't be tolerated by Kerry fans.

When asked for his opinion on last month's dreadful Dublin-Donegal All-Ireland semi-final, the Kerry boss said: "All I'll say about the game is, look, sure both teams were playing within the rules. It's up to every manager to try and set out the best way to get his team to perform.

"All I know is that if we tried to play as defensive as that, it's not the opposition that would be booing us, it's our own fans that would be booing us - so it wouldn't be a runner in Kerry.

"I'm not disrespecting the football that any other crowd are playing."

He continued: "I suppose if Kerry went ultra-defensive, the fans just wouldn't like that type of football and we wouldn't have the good will of the people. And sure if you don't have that, what are you playing the game for?

"I'm not castigating. It's up to any other manager to do what he wants. I'm just saying from our point of view, that's the way we have to set out our stall."

rrhf

In fairness to O Connor hes on the ball with that one, Kerry fans are f'eckin animals and would clobber him for it.   

Fear Boirche

Quote'Jack O'Connor lambasts Nordieball'

Quote"I'm not disrespecting the football that any other crowd are playing."

Quote"I'm not castigating. It's up to any other manager to do what he wants."

I'd hardly call that lambasting.

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Square Ball

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 12, 2011, 08:29:46 PM
Nordieball, sounds like some craic

well you have seen Rollerball? well coming to a pitch near you, Nordieball, starring Jim McGuinness and a backing cast of 12.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

macdanger2

Fast forward to 2032.....Kerry haven't won a Munster or an AI in over 20 years, do you think the Kerry fans would be booing their team 0-6 to 0-3 up with 20 minutes to go against Dublin playing a la Donegal??? Not a chance......even being the animals they are, they wouldn't

Kerry Mike

QuoteKerry haven't won a Munster or an AI in over 20 years

f**ks sake thats an awful nightmare, there are generations of Kerry people who have not seen such poverty.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

macdanger2

Sorry Mike

I hope there are no children reading this - wouldn't want the little yerras traumatised  ;)

BennyCake

To be fair, Kerry copied Tyrone's defensive tactics of 2003 to win Sam in 2004.  But, of course, Kerry's was great football, whereas Tyrone's was puke.

4father

Jack O'Connor wasnt lambasting anything in his comments.  Divisive crap!!

But they do play defensive stuff

brokencrossbar1

Jeez lads you're so easily roped in. Its f**king Mike Sheehy! He's wrong too as Donegal are not actually Nordies in the truest sense  ;)

J OGorman

lynchbhoy

A lot of Kerry folk dont like Jack. I think he is a good manager. He brought in more defensive and slightly rougher tactics after being shattered by Tyrone and resulted in two successive AI wins.
This article and its writer are not much use - other than looking for sensationalism.
Sure we all know that the blanket defensive approach was first brought in by Kerry in the 70's !
Its more like the Dublin version today, lots of men behind the ball (leaving 2 or 3 forwards in the opposing half) then attacking flat out at pace!

sheamy

Mike, you need to clarify. Nordieball or Britball?

Nally Stand

Lads have ye not learnt to stop takin Sheehy seriously? He's just a wounded Kerry supporting "animal" who's been having a hissy fit since 2003.

NODIEBALL!!:

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore