Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 14, 2020, 05:43:53 PM
Quote from: delgany on September 14, 2020, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 14, 2020, 03:18:47 PM
OK, I see how that makes sense practically, but struggling to see how that works given the wording. 
What is the definition of "Level" and "Competition" as used in the rule.

Code obviously refers to football or hurling.

But surely U21 and Senior or not the same Level and Competition?

It's likely that a final year U21 is playing senior football in most clubs

True.  But I still don't see how that is relevant as the suspension is for that same Level in the same Competition.  If it said the next game in the Code then it obviously would be served in his next game.
Level and Competition are capitalized in the rulebook, so I assume they must be a definition.  I just can't locate those definitions.

Official Guide Part 1 page 128.
Refers to a two week suspension for  a
Red card that is carried over,  outside an age grade, subject to application by respective CCC body .

So an escape is possible dependent on fixtures, time of year

Farrandeelin

Probably been done to death at this stage, but if the keeper kicks the ball out and gets it straight back to him from the defender is it a free or hop ball? Also if the keeper kicks it out and it doesn't cross the 13metre line is that a hop ball or free in?

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 16, 2020, 01:29:02 PM
Probably been done to death at this stage, but if the keeper kicks the ball out and gets it straight back to him from the defender is it a free or hop ball? Also if the keeper kicks it out and it doesn't cross the 13metre line is that a hop ball or free in?

Free and the other one is a hop ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Interesting one tonight...

A Kingscourt player caught ball above his head cleanly, but man was holding him, and he couldn't raise his hand in time to signal he was taking the mark. Referee blew him up for overcarrying.

Was that the correct call?

Should a player also be able to shout 'mark' in such instances?

PadraicHenryPearse

i didnt see the replay but i believe the pass was from inside the 45.... not sure why it was a free out though.

Rossfan

McConville corrected himself eventually after a major rant earlier.
Faulkner hadn't much luck with the ref right enough.
I'd imagine the free was for standing still with the ball in his hands.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on September 26, 2020, 09:47:20 PM
i didnt see the replay but i believe the pass was from inside the 45.... not sure why it was a free out though.

So if the ball was played from outside the 50... what's the verdict?

twohands!!!

Quote from: BennyCake on September 26, 2020, 09:35:45 PM
Interesting one tonight...

A Kingscourt player caught ball above his head cleanly, but man was holding him, and he couldn't raise his hand in time to signal he was taking the mark. Referee blew him up for overcarrying.

Was that the correct call?

Should a player also be able to shout 'mark' in such instances?

Yet another addition to the long list of poorly drafted GAA rules.

The current rules say
QuoteThe player shall signify to the Referee if he is availing of the free-kick by immediately raising his arm upright and then taking the kick himself from the hands.
That's all there is about a player claiming a mark.

The powers-that-be could have made life easier for everyone by adding a single extra line to the rules.

[In the event that the player is not able to raise his arm upright immediately, he can avail of the mark by calling out "mark"]

BennyCake

In a crowded, noisy stadium, he might not be heard calling 'mark' though. Also, if another/same opponent has his hands across his mouth, he can't shout it either.

Maybe he could stamp his foot twice to call a mark.

BennyCake

Cork Kilkenny camogie match blown up more than 2 minutes early.

Grounds for appeal surely?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2020, 02:00:40 PM

Didn't watch it but it all depends on the refs watch, not the one on tv.

Having refereed a televised match, the tv watched during the water breaks us were the break down occurs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

More than two minutes before the end of the regulation 60 minutes or more than two minutes before the end of the advertised amount of injury time?

BennyCake

Quote from: sid waddell on November 28, 2020, 02:32:53 PM

More than two minutes before the end of the regulation 60 minutes or more than two minutes before the end of the advertised amount of injury time?

4 minutes injury time allocated. Ref blew up around 61.50.

Smokin Joe

Can't believe the commentators haven't grasped that the water break is the reason for the apparent discretion. It happened a couple of weeks ago too.
The ref didn't stop his watch during the water break, but RTE did.

It would be good for the GAA to give direction as to whether the noted injury time stated is based on a stopped or a running clock during the water break.
If you're on the line and trying to make a sub towards the end of the game it's good to know how when you expect the game to be over having heard the number of additional minutes to be played.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 28, 2020, 03:48:58 PM
Can't believe the commentators haven't grasped that the water break is the reason for the apparent discretion. It happened a couple of weeks ago too.
The ref didn't stop his watch during the water break, but RTE did.

It would be good for the GAA to give direction as to whether the noted injury time stated is based on a stopped or a running clock during the water break.
If you're on the line and trying to make a sub towards the end of the game it's good to know how when you expect the game to be over having heard the number of additional minutes to be played.

So there was no issue. RTE messed up. As for officials putting on subs the fourth official is in verbal contact with the ref constantly.