Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

anyone on here do the Ring of Kerry at the weekend?

I was down at it as my wife was doing it, mad stuff, almost 10,000 cyclists of all shapes and sizes doing the 180KM course from 5am..

thebigfella

Quote from: JimStynes on June 22, 2014, 07:30:10 PM
What about the Causeway Coast Sportive lads? Heard it is the hardest sportive in Ireland, I am thinking of doing it but don't know if I will have the time to fit in the training with football and going on holidays in August. Is it really as bad as they say it is?

I'm thinking of entering it too and wondering the same. Done my 1st Ring of Kerry at the weekend and you'd be expecting Mols Gap to be comparable to climbing the Alpe d'Huez listening to some people  :P

Have 2 weeks holidays planned at the end of July and a few other weekends booked up so not sure I can fit enough training in. Was thinking of doing the Sean Kelly (100km) and Skoda Cycle Series (120km) on the last 2 weeks of august to try and build up to it. I'm not sure I have time to get the speed back in the legs for the climbs though after a year of injuries. Distance wouldn't be a problem but I don't fancy 9 hours in the saddle  :'(

thebigfella

Quote from: johnneycool on July 07, 2014, 02:22:43 PM

I was down at it as my wife was doing it, mad stuff, almost 10,000 cyclists of all shapes and sizes doing the 180KM course from 5am..

Done it with my missus. We slept in and didn't start to after 8am; not sure if it was the best prep to have pints the night before :)

Was plenty still heading off around 8 though and good craic. Well worth doing but I think you have to not take it too serious though.

johnneycool

Quote from: thebigfella on July 07, 2014, 02:45:12 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on July 07, 2014, 02:22:43 PM

Done it with my missus. We slept in and didn't start to after 8am; not sure if it was the best prep to have pints the night before :)

Was plenty still heading off around 8 though and good craic. Well worth doing but I think you have to not take it too serious though.

There was a lad went passed me at the finish with the Kerry GAA top on, a pair of ordinary jeans on a fairly basic mountain bike, so it mustn't have been that hard, the wife begged to differ, although she thought it was pretty dangerous at stages with so many trying to get down some narrow roads around Waterville and the likes.
Micko was out waving to the cyclists  there, but she didn't know who he was..

AQMP

Froome out of Tour after crashing twice on today's stage.

The Bearded One

Have recently bought a bike and have been doing a bit on my own, 25-30 mile runs normally, fairly infrequently. I would be reasonably fit, still playing football but not training as hard as I would have done.

I can cover anything between 16.0 - 17.5 mph depending on the weather conditions and how many hills I encounter. There are a number of cycling clubs in the local area, I am reluctant to join in though as I don't know if I would be fit to keep up. Has anyone here found that spinning classes help to improve performance out on the road? I can squeeze a class in before work a few mornings if I thought it would help me.
It is what it is. Presumably.

maddog

Quote from: The_Beard on July 09, 2014, 03:53:08 PM
Have recently bought a bike and have been doing a bit on my own, 25-30 mile runs normally, fairly infrequently. I would be reasonably fit, still playing football but not training as hard as I would have done.

I can cover anything between 16.0 - 17.5 mph depending on the weather conditions and how many hills I encounter. There are a number of cycling clubs in the local area, I am reluctant to join in though as I don't know if I would be fit to keep up. Has anyone here found that spinning classes help to improve performance out on the road? I can squeeze a class in before work a few mornings if I thought it would help me.

Join - it will bring you on in leaps and bounds. Your average is around somewhere right for club runs so you shouldn't have a problem.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on July 09, 2014, 04:45:38 PM
Quote from: The_Beard on July 09, 2014, 03:53:08 PM

Join - it will bring you on in leaps and bounds. Your average is around somewhere right for club runs so you shouldn't have a problem.

Good average speeds, most clubs have A's B's and C's runs so depending on distance and speed you could well fit into one of those, spinning is all fine and dandy (I do 3/4 a week) but it's about getting the miles out on the roads that will really bring it on. It's something I need to do also, as I'm planning to do a couple of big cycles next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Well that has opened things right up, cobbles are the bomb for a race, Nibali's to lose now you'd think. Should make for a great race though with Berti trying to catch him.

Have to say I dont like Froome

Liked this though

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

maddog

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 09, 2014, 05:17:55 PM
Well that has opened things right up, cobbles are the bomb for a race, Nibali's to lose now you'd think. Should make for a great race though with Berti trying to catch him.

Have to say I dont like Froome

Liked this though

The irony being they will probably both go to the vuelta

bennydorano

Jesus, Bertie out too. This Tour is going to peeter out.

La Vuelta will be the best Grand Tour again. Froome, Bertie & Quintana.

Valverde must have something in the tank for the Tour, I'm gonna have a sneaky bet on him for the overall.

RealSpiritof98

Roache going for the stage win if anyone had a free hour and a half to kill

imtommygunn

Disappointing Bertie is out. While I love watching the tour de france the last few years have been too easy for the winners though sky seem to reckon your man(who's name escapes me) could have a good stab at winning it on the longer mountain stages. (Richie?)

Hopefully Roche can do it.

The Irish guy in the triathlon was leading coming of the bike so he must be handy enough at cycling too though it was the sprint triathlon. Still not to shabby.

Yes La Vuelta looks to be where it is at.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2014, 03:25:29 PM
Disappointing Bertie is out. While I love watching the tour de france the last few years have been too easy for the winners though sky seem to reckon your man(who's name escapes me) could have a good stab at winning it on the longer mountain stages. (Richie?)

Hopefully Roche can do it.

The Irish guy in the triathlon was leading coming of the bike so he must be handy enough at cycling too though it was the sprint triathlon. Still not to shabby.

Yes La Vuelta looks to be where it is at.

??

Richie Porte? Hopefully not.........
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

The sprint triathlon that the Alistair Brownlees won in Hamburg in the world series was led by an Irish guy of the bike. Must check out who it was though I can only find German reports/ sites and don't speak german...

Incidentally the world team triathlon was great viewing. Britain won it with two pretty weak girls in it (it's 300m swim, 6.6 k bike, 1 mile run x 4 team members) and the Brownlees brothers pulling them through with great bikes / runs.

Yes Richie Porte. I hope not too but was just watching the itv4 rest day program yesterday who reckoned he had a good chance. Of course as he's sky they may be a bit pro sky...