Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Lads with the weather improving I'm looking to get back on the roads/toe paths. Looking to do 20 odd miles maybe this Sunday, any decent roads (prefereably a safe road/ toe path) that I could venture on? I've one right beside me, Jordanstown into Belfast but have done it many times, looking something different, Belfast to lisburn or something.

Link to map would be good ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2013, 04:02:49 PM
Lads with the weather improving I'm looking to get back on the roads/toe paths. Looking to do 20 odd miles maybe this Sunday, any decent roads (prefereably a safe road/ toe path) that I could venture on? I've one right beside me, Jordanstown into Belfast but have done it many times, looking something different, Belfast to lisburn or something.

The one from Jordanstown into Belfast continues past the waterfront and back on alongside the Lagan beside central station. That takes you up to the Ormeau where you can cross over and go along the embankment and down past cutters wharf. That previously took you to Lisburn (brought you out past Shaws Bridge and then into the grounds of the Civic Centre) but I'm nearly sure something happened a bridge around about that Lock Keepers Inn and you can't go that way now. If you were willing to go up towards Malone and then up the Malone Road to Shaws Bridge you could bypass Lock Keepers and rejoin the towpath there and go on to Lisburn

EDIT: This might help... http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network

Milltown Row2

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 28, 2013, 04:07:47 PM

The one from Jordanstown into Belfast continues past the waterfront and back on alongside the Lagan beside central station. That takes you up to the Ormeau where you can cross over and go along the embankment and down past cutters wharf. That previously took you to Lisburn (brought you out past Shaws Bridge and then into the grounds of the Civic Centre) but I'm nearly sure something happened a bridge around about that Lock Keepers Inn and you can't go that way now. If you were willing to go up towards Malone and then up the Malone Road to Shaws Bridge you could bypass Lock Keepers and rejoin the towpath there and go on to Lisburn

EDIT: This might help... http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network

Did the route TYP, from cutters out to Jordanstown and back, weather was just right on Sunday, but I'm seriously going to need a better bike, I've been using a mates decent road bike, not racer. Its an aluminium framed bike, good road tyres and 24 gears, I think. Mate has a cracking racing bike compared to the one I'm using and when he picks up the pace it's like he has an injector in the bike ffs!! Blast past me, I'm on top gear and he goes by like I'm going backwards!!

Anyone selling a decent racer?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

I'm waiting on delivery of a new Ribble Winter Carbon, so I will be selling my  Bianchi  (57cm - Red & Black colour, Alu frame, Carbon forks) as soon a it arrives - suit someone round 6ft, seen plenty of miles (bought Spring '11) but very well looked after, class components throughout, Ultegra shifters & rear derailleur, 105 throughout apart from a recently added Tiagra chainset. Only out of bike shop for another servicing, new bartape, cables, chain & cassette.

Great bike for someone starting out or as a winter trainer. Anyone interested pm me, will be looking £435 ovno.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on March 05, 2013, 01:05:44 PM
I'm waiting on delivery of a new Ribble Winter Carbon, so I will be selling my  Bianchi  (57cm - Red & Black colour, Alu frame, Carbon forks) as soon a it arrives - suit someone round 6ft, seen plenty of miles (bought Spring '11) but very well looked after, class components throughout, Ultegra shifters & rear derailleur, 105 throughout apart from a recently added Tiagra chainset. Only out of bike shop for another servicing, new bartape, cables, chain & cassette.

Great bike for someone starting out or as a winter trainer. Anyone interested pm me, will be looking £435 ovno.

I'm out!!!  ;D ;D

stew

The M1 would be a great spot for you! ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stew on March 05, 2013, 02:40:30 PM

The M1 would be a great spot for you! ;)

I'll post a picture of it, I'm sure with you being away living somewhere else you'll be missing it 8)

bennydorano

Sky show how ridiculously strong they are again today, Ritchie Porte wins his 2nd stage in a row today & the GC in highly prestigious Paris-Nice, meanwhile Chris Froome won a belter stage yesterday & takes the lead today in the excellent 'Terrieno-Adriatico. Froome is going to be the big dog this year.

Orior

Far too many pedestrians on the lagan tow-path. The Comber greenway is better.

The pedestrians keep me on the road. There is a good run fro Belfast out to Carrickfergus and Whitehead. Also Belfast to Ballyclare, then Doagh and Parkgate is interesting.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on March 10, 2013, 08:33:30 PM

Far too many pedestrians on the lagan tow-path. The Comber greenway is better.

The pedestrians keep me on the road. There is a good run fro Belfast out to Carrickfergus and Whitehead. Also Belfast to Ballyclare, then Doagh and Parkgate is interesting.

I went early enough last week and it was grand, just under 20 miles so looking to build that up every week, today was a no brainer weather wise so next week will do 30 miles, need to get a better bike though, won't tell the wife though!!.

Heard the comber one was grand might try it some time

Orior

The Comber greenway is only 14 mile return, so even my wife can do it. But only if she gets to stop for a coffee in the square. If you do, you might rub shoulders with the odd DUP counsellor :o
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gerry

Quote from: bennydorano on March 10, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
Sky show how ridiculously strong they are again today, Ritchie Porte wins his 2nd stage in a row today & the GC in highly prestigious Paris-Nice, meanwhile Chris Froome won a belter stage yesterday & takes the lead today in the excellent 'Terrieno-Adriatico. Froome is going to be the big dog this year.

froome attack yesterday was unreal, left bertie and co in his tracks.  good riding by dan martin to finish 10th today
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

another unreal stage today with two ag2r riders walking up one part of it.  this is the steepest stage in italy and if the ascent wasn't hard enough descending it in the rain is frighting given what happen the other day, so fair play to the cyclist that finished it.  with today's stage timings it leaves the tt more important so hopefully nibali can hold out.

gerry

A French parliamentarian says he met a drunk Andy Schleck in a lift.

Here's my translation of Pierre-Yves Le Borgn':

Late check in at a Munich airport hotel. A well-soaked guy enters the lift with difficulty and tries without succeeding to press the button. I recognized a great cycling champion, twice second in the Tour in recent years. Depressing.

It was Andy Schleck. He was wearing the jacket of his old Leopard-Trek team. He couldn't stand up straight. I pressed the button for his floor. I found the situation very sad. He had abandoned an Italian race they day before and hasn't finished a single race since spring 2012. His brother Frank is suspended for a year for doping. I got the impression that I saw a young man on the slide, drunk and alone at night in a hotel airport.

There's been a lot of snow in Northern Europe causing delays and it's possible Schleck had to wait at Munich airport for a flight home on his way back from Tirreno. Munich is a busy transport hub for flights in Europe.

It's not healthy but it's not the first time a rider's had too much to drink during the season. Here's hoping this is nothing more than a boring night in an airport hotel and that his head wasn't too sore the next day.     

The last thing andy wants is more media attention.

bennydorano

Was just reading about that on twitter, unfortunately rather than just getting shitfaced it's undoubtedly a sign of the malaise he finds himself in, he's went to the dogs. He used to sacrifice his season for a good Tour, he'd give anything for a return to some semblance of form. I read somewhere too that RSLT are for getting a head doctor on the job. Frank's troubles probably not helping Andy either as they were both primadonnas with persecution complexes before Frank got caught with Diuretics in his system.