Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Hard to beat this weather for getting out on the bike!

Mayo4Sam

Did a stag of the RAS yesterday, them boys do some speed, we were flat out averaging in the 30's, they did mid 40's.

Some ex GAA lads did it too, a lot got dropped, John Maughan is in some shape though, glided up hills
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gerry

Quote from: bennydorano on May 12, 2012, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: gerry on March 28, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
Another one here that I like the look of - https://www.facebook.com/bangorcoastalchallenge

i have signed up for this An Post Tour de Burren the week after so i give that one a miss
Are you for the Fr Ted one Gerry?  that looks nasty

yep the father ted one but i could regret it. doing a charity 102 miles tomorrow in the heat should be fun.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

Did the etapemourne today, hardest I've ever done - not the longest (although I'm only at it 2 years & doing Wicklow in a fortnight - so probably  a shortlived hardest ever) 70m of savage climbing in baking heat and very gusty wind, over Spelga Dam twice, 3 times if you count the loop out round the Bryansford road..

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on May 27, 2012, 09:45:31 PM
Did the etapemourne today, hardest I've ever done - not the longest (although I'm only at it 2 years & doing Wicklow in a fortnight - so probably  a shortlived hardest ever) 70m of savage climbing in baking heat and very gusty wind, over Spelga Dam twice, 3 times if you count the loop out round the Bryansford road..
Did 75km today myself, but no real climbing. The heat was killer - wouldn't have fancied your spin!

Tony Baloney

I had to have a good auld stretch today after driving the 70 odd miles to the home place
Youse arent wise!

bennydorano

Interesting article, I've only had a serious interest for a few years, previous to that I'd have been as ignorant as the next man, but what's clear to me nowadays is that Sean Kelly is still pretty much idolised by Irish cyclists of a certain age, not so much our Stephen.  Telling?  I dont know.

fearsiuil

Getting into the cycling lark and want a bike that will be good to get about town, good for doing 20/30 miles on road and a bit through parks. Was thinking of the Kellys Axis, anyone have any suggestions ?

http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&category_id=178&product_id=642&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

moysider

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 11, 2012, 02:08:59 PM
Getting into the cycling lark and want a bike that will be good to get about town, good for doing 20/30 miles on road and a bit through parks. Was thinking of the Kellys Axis, anyone have any suggestions ?

http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&category_id=178&product_id=642&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Not being smart but I don t think that such a bike exists. There is no such thing as one bike does everything. Most beginers make the mistake of buying a utiliyu type of bike and when they start doing the miles the cursing begins. 20/30 miles is a fair old haul unless you have a good bike.

fearsiuil

Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2012, 02:47:28 PM

Not being smart but I don t think that such a bike exists. There is no such thing as one bike does everything. Most beginers make the mistake of buying a utiliyu type of bike and when they start doing the miles the cursing begins. 20/30 miles is a fair old haul unless you have a good bike.
I know that there is no bike that will be ideal to all needs but just want opinion on the Kellys Axis being a good compromise for what I'll be using it for. My last bike disappeared after being borrowed by a housemate c.1990 and parked outside Westside shopping centre in Galway while he went shopping. He actually walked home forgetting he had cycled to Dunnes !

Orior

This is probably old news for most people, but if you have a smart phone, then register with www.strava.com and then download the app.

It plots your route, and draws a graph of the climbs. It can also score your time against others who cycled the same route.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

moysider

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 11, 2012, 04:45:52 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2012, 02:47:28 PM

I know that there is no bike that will be ideal to all needs but just want opinion on the Kellys Axis being a good compromise for what I'll be using it for. My last bike disappeared after being borrowed by a housemate c.1990 and parked outside Westside shopping centre in Galway while he went shopping. He actually walked home forgetting he had cycled to Dunnes !

Yeah. You ll be grand with that in fairness.